• Register Today It's free!

Mystery sound

RedDogGurl

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 96 4wd control trac, I have a mystery sound that no one seems to know what it is. It's been making the sound since about march, it's only when i'm driving, the faster I go the faster the sound. It sound equivalent to a kid with a card in the spokes of his bike. It sounds as if it's coming from the front, but I could be wrong. I had the control arms replaced a few months ago and it was making the sound before, the person who changed them didn't see anything else wrong on the front. So far I have been told it could be, a lose heat shield, lose oil pan, transfer case, wheel hub bearing(checked fr pass), vaccum ball hitting something, and a couple other things I can't think of right now. If someone with more experience than the people i've been asking could give me some help, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does your truck have manual locking hubs on the front?

<-- vehicle illiterate... what's that and how do I find out?

I have a 96 4wd control trac, I have a mystery sound that no one seems to know what it is. It's been making the sound since about march, it's only when i'm driving, the faster I go the faster the sound. It sound equivalent to a kid with a card in the spokes of his bike. It sounds as if it's coming from the front, but I could be wrong. I had the control arms replaced a few months ago and it was making the sound before, the person who changed them didn't see anything else wrong on the front. So far I have been told it could be, a lose heat shield, lose oil pan, transfer case, wheel hub bearing(checked fr pass), vaccum ball hitting something, and a couple other things I can't think of right now. If someone with more experience than the people i've been asking could give me some help, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

lose oil pan..??!!.....vaccum ball..??!! haha

if it get louder and faster, the faster you go.....its gotta be a rotational noise.

very well could be the transfer case, could be hub bearing, could be a rock
or some other debis between the rotor and backing plate.

I suggest taking the truck to a reputable (well known) repair shop, and have
look. I actually sounds like it something stupid, like debis or something like that.

:salute:

Yup, sounds like there's a rock inside something that spins.
Lift the front end up and spin the wheels manually. See if it makes the sound. If it does, get someone to spin them while you find the location of the noise.

We checked the caliper and wheel hub bearing and that on the pass side since that's where it sounds like it's coming from, will have the drivers side checked monday.

<-- vehicle illiterate... what's that and how do I find out?

Virtually all 4x4s today have automatic locking hubs or full time front wheel drive with no locking hubs at all.

To find out, look at the hub on the front wheels. If there is something that looks like this , you've got manual hubs, and you have to turn the knob to the "on" or "off" position before you could engage/disengage the transfer case..

The reason I ask is because I had an old Bronco whose hubs would not completely disengage when taking it out of 4wd, and they would click....like a card in the spokes of a bicycle.

On a lot of the early model 4x4s with automatic hubs (push-button on the dash), the system failed and the owners converted back to manual hubs.

Is the sound the same when turning and going in a straight line?

It does have locking hubs,i just drove back from just south of richmond, va to buffalo, ny, it did fine, still has the sound and vibrates a little after 70, but nothing else. My dad thinks it's the drivers front tire (shifted belt maybe?).

On Control Track there are no locking hubs. There is however a vacuum disconnect on the front axle.Could be it is not fully disengaging. Making a clicking sound will cease soon, when the splines wear out. To check,jack up front end in two wheel drive, and spin one front wheel. If opposite wheel does not turn, then the disconnect is working.

Oh, ok, didnt know it didnt, my dad said it did... but anyway, how would I fix it if the other wheel turns? I'm going to try to get it jacked up in the morning to check it.

Oh, ok, didnt know it didnt, my dad said it did... but anyway, how would I fix it if the other wheel turns? I'm going to try to get it jacked up in the morning to check it.

Not sure how to fix the disconnect, if, that is the problem. The vacuum canister/disconnect is on the passenger side of the front differential. You might try removing it. I have not had a problem with mine. Just trying to help from a long distance.

You wheel hubs need to be replaced. Its not a hard fix, but wheel worth it. It is a little more involved than changing your brakes.

Back