Is an alignment needing after sway bar bushing change? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is an alignment needing after sway bar bushing change?

rs2k

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie
I'm changing out some suspension components and getting new tires and an alignment Monday. I won't be getting my sway bar bushings until Thursday though. Should I wait until after getting the bushings before getting the tires and alignment? It doesn't seem like sway bar bushings would change the alignment at all, but I thought I should check first since they are part of the suspension.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get the alignment whenever you want... The sway bar has no effect on alignment.

Thanks! Time to tear into the front end. I'll be back!

Lol. :D

He's probably stuck getting the lug nuts off.

ROFL! How'd you know? :D

I got one side's control arms off and am taking a breather. Sure is humid today! I'm taking my time and enjoying the experience. :D

I've been applying PB Blaster every month or so to the suspension and dirty engine bolts for the last year. Everything came right off.

Putting the passenger side back together. I got the t-bar off by one. D'oh!

I assume I can just remove the t-bar from the back and slide it forward so I don't have to wrestle with the lower control arm and hub again.

Thanks, It came right out with a few taps of the head of a 5 lb mallet. I made some scratches with a screw driver, but is there a proper way to key the torsion bar?

Sorry, wrong thread. Please delete this.

Passenger side is 95% complete. All the new components are installed and greased up. Just need to torque them up and put the tire back on. Hopefully my alignment isn't so far off it's dangerous. The toe-in should be fairly close, but the camber and caster will probably be way off. Oh well, I only have to go 9 miles by back roads to get to the alignment shop.

Now on to the Driver's side!... after a break that is. :D Fortunately, I don't pay myself by the hour.

OK, break's over! Back to work! :D

Everything's on and hand tight. I'll torque it all up, put the tires on and check/adjust the ride height tomorrow. After that I'll take her to the shop for tires and an alignment.

The driver's side was a pain in the butt. The best skill to have when working with the explorer is the ability to work blind.

Blind from not being able to see my hands since they're behind something that's in the way of the part I'm trying to work on. :)

She's all done. Heading to the shop in a bit.

I've really got to come up with a name for her. "The Explorer" just doesn't cut it.

Blind from not being able to see my hands since they're behind something that's in the way of the part I'm trying to work on. :)

She's all done. Heading to the shop in a bit.

I've really got to come up with a name for her. "The Explorer" just doesn't cut it.

i don't believe in giving inanimate objects names, but the way i identify mine is by color: the blue one, the red one, the black one and the white one... lol

i don't really get what your saying about not being able to see what you're working on. i did this job last fall and didn't having any problems seeing what i was doing. did you remove the splash shields first?

Hmm, I don't think calling my Explorer "Whitey" would be "PC." :bsnicker:

I couldn't really see behind the driver's side shock mount to get the two control arm bolts in. That was the most annoying part of the job. Getting the vacuum lines, EGR valve and PCV back in during the intake gasket job was also a huge pain.

Well, tires aren't in stock yet. Hopefully a little later today. I think I've got my alignment pretty close... what do you guys think?

GyfuNYX.jpg

(This photo is obviously NOT manipulated.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back