Xp103 (iridium) spark plug thoughts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Xp103 (iridium) spark plug thoughts

Caleb33

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer
I bought the auto lite xp103 plugs for my 2002 4.0L. These are the correct replacement size but are iridium instead of double platinum. A few people have said that these will cause issues and I was wondering if there are many success/failure stories out there so give me your .02

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Amazing how many continue to experiment with "performance" spark plugs when the originals served them well for so many years and miles. Motorcraft SP500 is the direct OEM replacement for the factory installed AGSF22FM/PP. Check .054 gap, coat threads lightly with copper or nickel anti seize, dielectric grease on boots, and you're set for another 100K. :thumbsup:

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1261929&SUB=1262040

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=949946&cc=1377660

I just figured the same company's bottom end product did well what can the top end achieve? Figured that there can always be better right?

Stock ignition system is proven reliable and perfectly adequate. No appreciable gains by "upgrading" plugs, wires, or coil.

Amazing how many continue to experiment with "performance" spark plugs when the originals served them well for so many years and miles. Motorcraft SP500 is the direct OEM replacement for the factory installed AGSF22FM/PP. Check .054 gap, coat threads lightly with copper or nickel anti seize, dielectric grease on boots, and you're set for another 100K. :thumbsup:

Seriously?

I just put a set of Di-Lithium plugs into my '06 V6, and man....I got like 42,000 HP, and get 100-115 MPG.

Iridium is a type of platinum. Autolite is far from the best choice in plugs anymore, their quality has tanked. I would stick with stock, or reliable brands like Champion or NGK.

Auto lite makes the stock plugs for motor craft.

Auto lite makes the stock plugs for motor craft.

I would stray away from that, then. Denso was stock for one of my Lincoln applications, so I figured that was the same for the 4.6L. Thanks for the info! :cool:

Bottom line, use what has been proven to work. I've yet to see a single negative review of the 4.0L
OEM Motorcraft Finewire Platinum plugs on ANY forum. Autolite is second, no other brand comes close.

Good man. I'll take responsibility if your engine blows up immediately after you change them. ;)

Autolite is far from the best choice in plugs anymore, their quality has tanked. .

My mechanic said he quit using Autolite plugs once the "Honeywell Corporation" (they make electronic controls ex. furnace t-stats) bought out Autloite and started making the Autolite plugs. Think they owned Autolite from 1999-2011. Since 2011, Autolite plugs have been made by the Fram Group.

Good man. I'll take responsibility if your engine blows up immediately after you change them. ;)

Hmmm.... Seems like an easy way for a new motor... Ill take a 4.6 this time please.

Back