cheapest way to flash computer for tire size | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cheapest way to flash computer for tire size

qumanchew

Reaction score
City, State
Kutztown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 sporttrac Turbo Diesel
Here's the deal guy's. I'm looking for the cheapest way to flash the computer in my sport trac for tire size and a gear swap to get the speedo back reading correct. I jumped the gun and bought an SCT tuner without doing enough research. I didn't realize you had to load an engine tune in it for it to do anything, including tire size and gear changes. So now I'd have to spend even more money for a tune. So is there a cheaper way?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gear ratio will not affect your speedo.. strictly tire size. Too bad your so far from Michigan I could do it for you I have a NGS with a service card..

I've heard of folks going to the dealer to get it recalibrated. Cost was around 120-200 from what I remember, but you will have to go to them if you ever change tire diameter again. Hopefully someone with a better memory than me on the topic will chime in. What stock size did you have, and what tire size are you sitting on now? Also what was your stock gearing and what is it now?

Check out SuperLift, IIRC they made a recalibrator for our truck (RBV's).

it cost me about 60 bucks 6 months ago at ford.

Gear ratio will not affect your speedo.. strictly tire size. Too bad your so far from Michigan I could do it for you I have a NGS with a service card..

It's a shame you're so far away; I'd take you up on that offer. I have to disagree with you about the gear change not affecting the speedo though. When I changed the gears it threw the speedo way off.

speedo in our trucks pic up off the rear axle, wheel speed so axle swap will do nothing all you have to do is adjust your revs per mile of the tires you choose and your ready to go.. trust me here I do this for living..

speedo in our trucks pic up off the rear axle, wheel speed so axle swap will do nothing all you have to do is adjust your revs per mile of the tires you choose and your ready to go.. trust me here I do this for living..

All I can do is tell you my personal experience. About a year ago I installed the 31'' tires and at the same time I switched to a 3.55 axle ratio. I checked the speedo against my GPS and it was off by about 5mph at 60. Last week I swapped in the 3.08 gears and checked the speedo against the GPS again and it is now off by about 13 mph at 60.

Sounds like the stealership might be the way to go. I'll stop in and see what they say.

I've heard of folks going to the dealer to get it recalibrated. Cost was around 120-200 from what I remember, but you will have to go to them if you ever change tire diameter again. Hopefully someone with a better memory than me on the topic will chime in. What stock size did you have, and what tire size are you sitting on now? Also what was your stock gearing and what is it now?

Stock tire size was 235/70-16 and I changed to a 245/70-17, roughly a 31'' tire. Original gears were 3.73 and now I'm running 3.08s. I'm running a diesel engine so I needed to get my rpm's down on the highway.

I think next time I go to knoebels I will have to stop and see it

I stopped in at the dealer and it didn't go to good. I told them what I had going on and they looked at me like I had a D!(k growing out of my forehead. They told me they could only change it to a gear ratio and tire size that was available as original equipment on my truck. I wasn't going to argue with them even though I new better. Who wants someone working on there truck that doesn't know what they're doing anyways.

I looked in to the Truspeed and decided that was the way to go. Summit has them for $149 with free shipping so I ordered one up. It's back ordered till the ninth but I'm not in a hurry so no big deal. I'll update when I get it and have it installed.

So who want's to buy a tunner cheap? Well not quite yet. Once I get the Truspeed I'll list the tunner in the for sale forum.

i tried 2 of the truspeed calibrators thinking one didn't work but they did nothing

I looked in to the Truspeed and decided that was the way to go. Summit has them for $149 with free shipping so I ordered one up. It's back ordered till the ninth but I'm not in a hurry so no big deal. I'll update when I get it and have it installed.

So who want's to buy a tunner cheap? Well not quite yet. Once I get the Truspeed I'll list the tunner in the for sale forum.
Wouldn't buying a tune for your XCal offer you more bang for the buck? Tunes are only $50 each
from Henson or Torrie, unless you bought it locked, then it would be an additional $150 to unlock.

k, a bit of real wisdom here now,,

if you put on taller tires and regear for them, you don't need to recalibrate the speedo,,

if i run 33 inch tires and my speedometer is only off by like 1/2 a mph and that is with 4:10 gears,
it had 3:73 stock,

reflashing the computer may settle the issue that way, but it is incorrect to do it like that,, the truck will lose power cause it is trying to hard to lug the big tires ,

lol mine was off i took the faceplate off my gauges removed the needle and drove using gps and obd2 speed and put the needle on in the right spot lol

i tried 2 of the truspeed calibrators thinking one didn't work but they did nothing

Well that's not what I wanna hear :(. I'll try it and see what happens.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wouldn't buying a tune for your XCal offer you more bang for the buck? Tunes are only $50 each
from Henson or Torrie, unless you bought it locked, then it would be an additional $150 to unlock.

If I still had the gas engine I would agree with you but since I'm running a diesel it wouldn't help me to make more power or anything like that. I bought the Xcal unlocked so that's not a problem but I paid $275 for it. Now ad $50 for a tune and I'm into it for $325 and the only thing I'm going to do with it is correct the speedo. The Truspeed will do the same thing for $150.

Back