• Register Today It's free!

In need of quick rust fix

Rckslick333

Reaction score
City, State
Kittery, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer nbx 4.6
Okay so I need a quick rust and paint bubble fix without tearing off the rear fender and putting on a new one. Covering it in anyway possible.. Help :)

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae119/rckslick3331/image_zps855834bb.jpg

image_zps855834bb.jpg

I hope the picture comes through.

It is fixable but it's bigger than you think. The entire wheel well has it starting if you see it there. Another 2-3 years it will look much worse.

I just repaired a similar issue on my truck, exact same location. Trust me its way worse underneath. Pulling that plastic trim off will damage a lot of the remaining metal. On mine I could stick my hand up inside the wheel well and fit 3 of my fingers inside of the fender, that's how bad it was rotted out. I managed to grind out most of the bad metal and get it fixed up with body putty and etc, just to hold out for a few more years until I sell the truck.

I suggest you inspect the rust from behind and access the damage.

As others stated, it is worse than what you are seeing, that plastic holds moisture in and the metal gets saturated with dust/dirt/water and it rusts it and it spreads. You are probably going to want to take it to an auto body shop to get it taken care of correctly...

Back