• Register Today It's free!

seat replacement?

gonexplorin96

Reaction score
City, State
Clifton, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
i have a 96 ford explorer sport and i need to replace the driver seat. do i have to use the same seat as that generation had or can i use a 1st or 3rd gen? no one is selling 2nd gen seats where i am...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What color you want and how far from Delaware are you?

I dont think the third gen seats bolt in, you have to do some modifying to get them to fit.

However, all 2nd gen seats will fit. The power seats obviously require a +12v and ground source but that's the extent of it.

far enough for a seat to not be worth it, thanks for the effort delexploder! and thanks for the info on the seat situation masospaghetti.

dang it, I don't know how to get pictures up on here

What style seat do you have?

Here the local pull-a-part has a ton of Explorers, a lot of them have bad driver's seats but I 've seen a few still in good condition. The non electric style seats are fairly easy to find and the cushions intercharge between the driver's and passenger's.

The electric seats tend to be more worn out and are harder to find in good condition.

If you have a manual seat and can only buy a power seat, thats fine. You can put that seat onto your tracks and vice versa. So long as it comes from a second gen Ex.

That's true, the seats are all interchangeable.

got it all done went up to auto salvage this past weekend, took an hour or two total

coulduv just used the panel, unless the back of the seat was worn outy.

Unless the frame was broken, why not just have an apulstry shop remake it? Cost me $150 bucks for a new leather driver seat bottom. Best $$$ I ever spent on the truck.

Back