helicopter noise in 1-2-D-R trans position | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

helicopter noise in 1-2-D-R trans position

italianbigsky

Reaction score
City, State
Lecco, Italy
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 4.0 V6 limited
Hi all!

I think I need another help from you . A few days ago I started hearing a noise when I was stopped with brake pedal down and trans in D position. I thought it was because of low temperatur and Ex just started. After a few days the noise is terrible and I can hear it in all trans position except N and P.
So I thought it could be something about transmission.

The noise remembers the same as an helicopter and comes from under the engine, less or more. It's there on 2WD, 4Wd and LOW4 too.
When I switch to N or P it disappear.

There are vibrations related to the noise too.

Transmission was rebuilt some thousands miles ago, I think about 140k now I'm at 180k.

At the moment I haven't noticed an other problem with transmission and the Ex is running fine.

Any suggestion? I'd appreciate your opinion, also because before I take the car to a garage I'd like to know what it could possibly be before they ask me for money to solve a problem that maybe isn't the main one.

Thanks in advance, regards from Italy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

look at the motor mounts,and trans mounts,, , as it shakes it could be tapping the metal parts together

Check the heat shields on the exhaust. A weld can break and they can vibrate like crazy.

Thanks,

I tried to check what you suggested but at first sight I haven't noticed anything wrong there.

The noise (and vibrations) starts when I shift gears into a driving position, no matter which one. It also seems to be stronger when I drive at lower speeds, actually when 1 and 2nd gear are in. At higher speeds (3-4) I can't hear the noisy sound, but it's possible that speed noise reduce the noise of the problem.

This morning when I started the engine I thought that the night solved the problem... but I forgot I was in P position... as soon as I switched to D I had my helicopter back :D :rolleyes: :( :mad:

update

Just talked to a good garage 50 miles from here, he is 100% sure about the problem without even seeing the car.
He said it's the torque converter and I MUST stop the car, or I'll probably add more damage to the whole transmission.
This is a really bad news.
I won't have my car back before Christmas. I'll took Ex to the garage this afternoon, and hope he's wrong.

I'm very upset and worried now.
This is the only car I have, and i really need it.
Do you really think that if I don't stop the car, the damage will be that serious?

Yes, it will be serious damage, but the condition is likely critical already. If the torque converter goes bad and produce metal shavings, that is spread throughout the entire system. Everything must be cleaned out, every internal part, passageways, valves, lines... everything.

Thanks for your advice.

Tomorrow I'm taking the car to another garage in my town, the problem is that they are not 100% on american cars. The other one I contacted saw the car today but just asked me to start the engine and then said "leave it here, it will be ready in January". Cost, around €1,500.
That was too much. I came back to my town and went to the other garage, and they'll check it tomorrow. Anyway, they told me that it's possible that it's not the torque converter, but the "fly wheel". So, i'ts possible that torque converter damages may come from this fly wheel.
Maybe I'll know more tomorrow.

Anyway,it sounds really strange that a rebuilt trans could last this few months and miles. Not more that 20,000 miles. Wasted money.

I add another post to this thread for 2 reasons: an update and a consideration.

The consideration first: since I got this problem at transmission, I contacted 3 different garages and nody of them told me more than I already knew about the problem. They all lifted the car and said: I can't deal with this kind of transmission.
Another garage is 250 miles from my place and it's the same that 1 1/2 years ago rebuilt the transmission to this car for just €2,900 that is more than $3,500. I cannot drive the car to him anyway.
So, the consideration is: a lot of people here in italy sell American cars, a lot of people say they know American cars, most of them are not able not only to fix a transmission problem, but to know what we're talking about.
I feel terribly alone, I can't do much and I'm afraid that I'll have to say goodbye to my car very very soon. :mad: :(

Now the update. The terrible noise and vibration with trans in D 1 2 R position is stronger and stronger, and there's a transmission oil leak too. I noticed it yesterday, but I guess it was already leaking even if not so clearly.
Oil level is still ok when I check it with hot engine... anyway, I don't know if this could be a good or a bad news. For a moment I thouhgt that it was possible that there is no damage on converter or wheel, and it's all due to lack of oil. On the other side, I think oil is leaking because of a big damage inside.

A last note to end this long post. I've read pages and pages written on this Explorer bible by each one of you, and there are so many information that I felt like I was explaining something new to the garage when I talked abut the problem. You're great. too bad I'm not there in the USA.

Good evening everybody. Now,after almost 2 years I re-open this thread to tell you about a similar problem, but NOT the same problem.
(last time I solved it by changing the flywheel and the torque converter)

This time after a long ride on the highway, I noticed the helicopter sound once again but NOT in drive position.
It rattles when starting the engine and when it's in P or N.
Shifting to 1-2-D or R reduce the noise, and you'll hear it only when decelerating.

There is NO trans fluid leaking.

So I think the problem could be in the first part of the transmission system, right between the engine and the trans itself.
Am I wrong? This metallic sound is like something is rotating fast and hits somewhere.

Any advice?
Thanks and regards from Italy!

Check the torque converter to flywheel bolts, they may have loosened and can cause the noise you describe.

Update:

my Explorer doesn't start anymore. When I parked it last time, it was working real fine, the only problem was that helicopter noise in P.

The morning after, I turned the key and it tried to start, I heard a long noise similar to a whistle coming from the engine/transmission... then I turned it off and now it doesn't even cranks.

So, is it possible it is a minor issue NOT regarding the transmission, but maybe the starter for example?
After all, there is no trans fluid leak, and transmission worked perfectly during the last trip.

the noise was terrible when starting the engine, and then in P or N.

Thanks for your help... now I have to decide if it's better to give up, or keep on fighting to keep this beautiful car alive.

Update:

my Explorer doesn't start anymore. When I parked it last time, it was working real fine, the only problem was that helicopter noise in P.

The morning after, I turned the key and it tried to start, I heard a long noise similar to a whistle coming from the engine/transmission... then I turned it off and now it doesn't even cranks.

So, is it possible it is a minor issue NOT regarding the transmission, but maybe the starter for example?
After all, there is no trans fluid leak, and transmission worked perfectly during the last trip.

the noise was terrible when starting the engine, and then in P or N.

Thanks for your help... now I have to decide if it's better to give up, or keep on fighting to keep this beautiful car alive.
Is your starter kicking in ???
Cause I have a seen a couple times where the stater just keeps going with motor ..

Flywheel is not being engaged by the starter. Bolts may have backed out enough for it to shift. You can pull the starter then see if the flywheel is loose.

Isnt there also a little inspection slot at the bottom of the transmission bellhousing? I know there is on the M5OD.

Back