• Register Today It's free!

1956 F100 Explorer Chassis Swap

56explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
56 F100 Explorer (96) XLT
Hi everyone, my name's Buddy (it's my REAL name) and I joined some time back, but haven't posted anything until now. I finally have enough time, information, and drive to start posting the story of a project that I am building and if you choose to join along, give advice, keep me pumped up, or try to tear me down, I will leave that for you to decide. My posts will be about the transformations between combining a 98-01 Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer chassis and a 1956 Ford F100 body.

I know there are posts out there, I've been searching for months now, and wanted to make a build diary of my own to share for your entertainment. This may not be for everybody, but if somebody will get knowledge, enthusiasm, or enjoyment out of it, then I will be satisfied.

It's name has been christened "Jasper" named after my wife's grandfather who was a car fanatic as much as I am. Most of my cars have been named. I own "Fiona" a Green 2013 Ford Mustang Fobra GT500 right now that gets me around, but I live in Arkansas, I gotta have a truck too. I love the classics, but I am driven by modern performance and conveniences too.

So, the story really starts here... I purchased a 1956 F100 on Craigslist a few months back. It took a bit to find ANYTHING that didn't get swept up for less than $2k. I must have called within minutes of the post, because he was hammered with calls and I told him I would be honored to take it off his hands. I arrived, eyes glistening, shallow breaths, and heart pounding. There it was..... all in shambles. It took a few minutes to understand what was going on with it. It was like getting (for me as a kid) a Nintendo box at Christmas with an Atari inside. It featured an S-10 rear end, botched Camaro IFS and steering column that came out of some 70's GovermentMotors monstrosity. No Motor. No Trans. Nothing was bolted together very well, if at all. Plus there was no title.... not even a VIN plate. I'll discuss that later. He said he was pretty firm on $850, but I did manage to get him down to $800 with enough reasons. (Cash in-hand never hurts either.)

I'm a total Ford guy, been loving Ford's since I drove my first one at 11 years old (my dad needed a designated driver and I could reach the pedals when sitting on a phone book). I've owned over 40 cars and trucks, mostly Ford's. The others were just to flip or destroy in my own madness. I mainly learned to drive in a Bronco II. 1988 black and grey 4X4. It was small, agile, and went anywhere. When I ran into anything, it just kept going. I bought my very own Ford when I was 15, a 1975 F150 "Ol' Red" that would soon need a new motor and trans. A friend and I rebuilt the thing on weekends and summer before I could even drive it to school which surpassed my 17th birthday a bit. I was proud to drive that thing. Painted Fire Engine red, Ford Blue 360 V8 engine, Lincoln Continental power seats, and even a TV mounted in a custom center console box I built myself. Back in 1996 that was PURE STYLE!

I was also 17 when I got my second truck, it was my first REAL love, 1956 F100 "Older than Rust". It cost me a whole $400 and had the thing running within a matter of a couple of days. It wasn't long though before I was tearing her apart to rebuild, but I was young and dumb, didn't know what I had and sold her to a neighbor to make a quick buck. Major regret.

I've owned an Explorer in the past, 1997 Eddie Bauer V8, but the intention was to sell/trade her off, which I did for a Jeep. I loved having the Explorer in the driveway, it pulled my trailer around well, had quite the power for its size, and was easy to maneuver like the Bronco I learned to drive in. As I was leaning more and more towards keeping it, it was at that time that the deal was done and she was gone.

My wife, oh how she loves me and oh how she may never understand the things that go on in my head, but I come by it honestly..... my dad probably had a lot to do with it. :p I don't drink much, but it's the wild-haired, mechanically-inclined, do-it-MYSELF, sticking-to-my-guns, persistent-perpetual-motion parts of my dad that I was able to inherit..... oh yeah... and his tools.

Somehow I convinced my wife to let me build the vehicle of my dreams, but it wasn't the easiest battle. I assured her that it wouldn't take away from our bill money, won't become a pile of parts in the yard, and wouldn't take me away from the other family duties I have with three boys. That being said, I have to be thrifty, not get involved in too many other projects, and put the kids to work! I GOT THIS!!!

How will I do this, you ask? I do know that this has been done before, I am NOT the first, but my goal is to create the perfect blend of Classic looks the exterior 1956 F100 commands with modern and updated power and creature comforts inside, all while keeping costs low using a V8-powered donor Explorer or Mountaineer.

There are many things to tell and show, but they will come in time. I leave you tonight with some pics of the 1956 before it came home. This is how it looked when I got there. Come back for more real soon!

:-Buddy

3K13Ic3Me5Ic5Gf5K9d4l59f87d1eb23d1fda.jpg

3M43F23I55La5E95Ked4lc31bfda47a481d56.jpg

3Ee3Mc3Ne5N85Gc5K7d4l9d63b96dd8fd1630.jpg

3K43L63Ff5N45I65Gdd4lfd39145a75221200.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome, that is all you need to get started. Right now "Classic Truck" and "Custom Classic Truck" both can be had for about $10/year subscription. Every single part you need is available to do the job.

My shop truck is a 1949 (gasp) Chevy 3100 panel truck on a 1997 Ford (whew) Explorer chassis.

(dead link)

I bought it built for my custom motorcycle seat business, (dead link)
Keep us updated Just do 1 step at a time.

Woody PTSC

subscribing good luck seems cool i Had considered putting my 51 f1 on my 94 explorer frame but went a different route cant wait to see what i missed out on

I love it!!!

Awesome, that is all you need to get started. Right now "Classic Truck" and "Custom Classic Truck" both can be had for about $10/year subscription. Every single part you need is available to do the job.

My shop truck is a 1949 (gasp) Chevy 3100 panel truck on a 1997 Ford (whew) Explorer chassis.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...WIHFNwTbVleaTztvRMT5TSCuhkAqpldgnnYWs2bBOp2Ay

I bought it built for my custom motorcycle seat business, www.pillowtopseatcompany.com

Keep us updated Just do 1 step at a time.

Woody PTSC

Ok, maybe I am overly one-sided on my Fords, but dang! that sure is a NICE Chevy you got. Just makes me feel good that it's got the bones of a Ford under that sheet metal! What parts did you keep? Engine? Interior? Firewall? Since I'm new on here, I'll have to figure how to look at your threads and maybe get lucky to see pics of your build. If they are not here, point me to that direction please! :) I will surely check out your suggestions on magazines as well.

And.... of course, I hope I don't offend anyone's choices in cars. It's almost like politics and religion for some. Ford's are my choice and I choose to be prejudice about it :p

Welcome to the forum Buddy. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on your project:chug:

Jasper comes home!

Dear Diary....... oops, ok I mean..... Day 2 of my quest as it continues...

So I went to bed dreaming 56's last night, this morning on my way in to work, at work, and didn't get much done there. I did however list some parts on Craigslist to sell off from the 56. Let's take a trip back a few short months ago when I brought my baby home. (I promise I'm going somewhere with this)

IMG_20130427_115653_450.jpg

Loaded it up, thanked God I made it without losing an array of parts along the way. Quickly found how many things weren't even bolted on, bed, doors, front clip was obvious, lol.

My first thought getting it home was how to store it, or most of it anyway. Jasper doesn't deserve to sit in the elements while waiting for the attention it deserved. Front clip fit nicely in a shed that wasn't being used, except as a clubhouse for my 2-yr old.

IMG_20130511_180930_586.jpg

My little mini-me "Mr. Fix-it Jr." He already loves to play with all my tools :)

The hood needed to be particularly stowed out of harms way. I used 2 bicycle lifts that were like $5 each from Harbor Freight Tools. Rear fenders stored nicely on the walls as you can see in the background, doors and interior parts that were loose, put in its own place. Running boards up in the rafters. All other parts of the cab were soon dismantled and stored in the shop as well.

IMG_20130513_213251_727.jpg

It was time to really get to work on plans. Research, research, research. How can I title something that doesn't have a title or VIN plates? Buy one? Nope. Possible, but that could get messy. I use to have a Pontiac Fiero that I got very serious about considering making it a Ferrari F355 Kit Car. If you could re-body a Fiero, couldn't I just rebody something else and use the body of this 56? ABSOLUTELY..... but what would the donor be? So I ran into some Googled pages where I found people talking about using S-10's (of course, not for me!) then low and behold.... the "AH HA" moment that made perfect sense, the beautifully crafted, reasonably affordable, easy to find parts for, and variably optioned Ford Explorer. THAT'S IT!

So, for those who have never seen an example of a finished product...... FEAST YOUR EYES on this Black Beauty

PHOTO_16970523_62688_41142873_ap.jpg

PHOTO_16970541_62688_41142873_ap.jpg

Not only would it mean that the wheelbase would be extended from 110" to 111.6", which actually centers the wheels with the 56's wheel openings better than the factory did, but I could also have my pick of drivetrain too! So many people build a classic truck and spend thousands of dollars trying to beef up the engine to power ONLY the rear wheels in a truck that won't see 5mph over the speed limit anyway. I could get decent gas mileage out of the same 302 V8 motor they put in Mustangs, custom options galore, fuel injected, All Wheel Drive too! It almost seemed too good to be true. Here in Arkansas I can pick up an Explorer for anywhere from $400 and up. But being the picky person I am, the ones that meet the criteria I'm looking for is about $1600 and up.

I'll continue later about specifics I found about each of the year model Explorers, more pictures, and more of my story. Hope it's entertaining so far!

Rust Removal Made Easy

Friday the 13th..... we'll call it simply one CRAZY day. My neighbor got TP'd earlier tonight. I was outside working on a friend's brakes but didn't hear a thing. It reminded me to talk about something you use in the bathroom to clean toilets that I have been dying to share with everyone.

If you have a bottle of "The Works" bathroom cleaner, then you have all that you need (besides water) to REMOVE RUST!!! "The Works" as well as some other toilet bowl cleaners have Hydrochloric Acid that starts to work when diluted with water. The chemical reaction eats away the old caked on rust, paint, and sometimes the metal itself, if left in the solution too long or too strong. Depending on the thickness and metal type, you can usually soak most car parts in a solution of 1 part "The Works" and 10 parts water. There is probably a better recipe out there, just be careful with small parts like steel wire, rivets, and thin pieces. Here is a pic of the 56's rear view mirror chrome surround after soaking in a (cheap brand) mixture for just a couple of hours. Notice that there is no magic with the pits in the chrome, but it made it shine like it hasn't in probably 20 years!

IMG_20130505_102240_640.jpg

Then I tried out some bolts, screws, and other misc.

IMG_20130506_210448_571.jpg

When I saw the results, I bought the (REAL BRAND) The Works and decided to do the door hinges, hood springs, and a bunch of other stuff. What I noticed pretty quickly was that I could safely leave the door hinges and other heavy metals in the solution overnight (24 hours) then take a plastic-bristled brush and simply give a quick scrub, soak for another day and VOILA!!!! Down to bare metal!!!

IMG_20130506_211939_678.jpg

Here's a before/after. I did spray primer on the after before I thought of taking the picture.

IMG_20130506_210521_879.jpg

"Johnny Fresh" was NOT a good choice for rust removal, but it sure was minty!!!

IMG_20130506_211957_253.jpg

Here's a bare metal shot. Think of all the elbow grease and scraped knuckles you'd have trying to get down into those crevices!!! Or how about the amount of time, money and patience of trying to blast each little piece. You'd ruin 5 pairs of blasting cabinet gloves trying to hold each small piece and that's not even counting the times your compressor has to run, the amount of energy that takes. I think a 32 oz bottle is about $1.25. I only had one bottle at first that I was able to re-dip the smaller items over an over again in and it just kept working! Now if I just had a pool my cab would fit in.....

IMG_20130510_211808_466.jpg

Impressed yet???????

IMG_20130509_220756_095.jpg

IMG_20130511_175808_540.jpg

IMG_20130514_241017_046.jpg

All of this done in a matter of a few days (as if I was in some sort of rush or anything) and cost me a measly BUCK AND A QUARTER (plus primer)

IMG_20130513_230921_942.jpg

The BEST part of ALL, I think, it how it doesn't react with the plastic or wood like blasting usually does.

Now, I better get to watching my yard for TP thugs. Have a great night!

i have some news for guys like you doing this swap.

i was at a small car show today when i was walking around and spotted this (he didnt have the hood open at the time however)

the reason i spotted it was because of the rims. i walked up to it, and said to my buddy that was with me "hey, this thing is on either a explorer or ranger frame" and started looking it over more. by chance the guy that owed it was standing right there. i started talking to him, and he said swapping the body on to it was simple. i then asked how he got past the PATS, and he said he cut it out (?). he explained he just cut it out of the system, but had to use the gauge cluster still

me being me tried to prove him wrong until he showed me the key that starts it. the only wiring he used from the truck body was the headlights, other then that, its all explorer.

i gave him the site name, and pretty much begged him to joint. so hopefully he does, and finds this and the other guys that are doing this threads.

This is awesome, you're doing what I want to do one day. I want to rebuild my ex, and when the time comes and I have kids and there old enough I want to do a 53-56 F100 on my ex with them.

Thank you Vroomzoomboom for sharing these pics of the (what looks to be a '48?) truck! I just bet there's a few more of these out there that either don't know how or where to post stuff like this, OR are too selfish (wink-wink) to share their successes on their builds to the world. Either way, it's nice to see that anything is possible and that there are people that want to make a good thing even better.

That guy can walk into any part store and get just about anything he needs to maintain or repair his truck without having to scour the internet or expensive catalogs and wait for a part to arrive. You can't walk into my local Autozone and ask for a radiator for a pre-1970 ANYTHING! But Explorers..... EVERYTHING is in stock every day.

His truck (and mine once complete) has power brakes, power steering, and other updated features that you didn't get to have back then. Ever drive a vehicle without power steering? That is painful!!! I do intend to keep more of the firewall from the explorer to help with mounting of the brake booster, wiring, and other bracketry. OH, and don't forget nice and cold A/C!

Here's a couple of guy's that have been inspiring me throughout my research, the first one: (dead link) has what looks like a completed transformation, but the details are not as "detailed" as I was hoping for. Maybe I can reach him and get more info.

The other is a guy named Dave Boley who I've talked to for hours on the phone and through emails. Very nice guy. He's got pages in various places and has a lot of projects that are currently keeping him from finishing his '53 on Explorer frame. But the nice thing is how detailed he's been with the build, including some stuff you just can't find anywhere else regarding to the use, fusion, and alignment with Explorer firewall and even the floorboards. If you are even considering tackling what I've described so far in my posts, you'll want to get very familiar with the pictures and descriptions he's provided on his pages. This link will most-likely get you anywhere he's got stuff posted.
(dead link)

Going back to what was described in Vroomzoomboom's post earlier, I am wondering if the PATS system is something that more or less scares people trying to use the wiring harness because the are hacking into the wiring, or because the door wiring isn't going to be used, that there is a chance the darn thing won't start when there are no Explorer doors to communicate the locking/unlocking sequence?????

I'm gonna go do some PATS research here: Solved - Everything you wanted to know about PATS.

I intend on using the entire dash, steering column, and wiring system, less the rear door components, rear cargo lights and any door components that I won't be using (i.e. power windows, mirrors, locks, etc.) So, just taking a survey here.... anyone with a 98-01 explorer ever drive without their doors in place, LOL?

Now, I need to explain why I am so desperate to use the 98-01's. (preferably 99+, but hey... you know, if I'm building this with this much attention to detail, why settle for less than you expect? I'm gonna be a little bit picky:)

According to Ford Explorer - Wikipedia
As you go down the list, the improvements really make a big jump after 97 to safety, convenience, and style.

These are the improvements made to the Explorer lineup that are options that I would like to consider having:

-Seats are redesigned.
-Eddie Bauer and Limited models get a new steering wheel with integrated audio controls.
-New 16" aluminum alloy wheels are now optional on XLT models and standard on Eddie Bauer models.
-All models get a standard security system.
-Explorers are upgraded to second generation airbags.

-Side airbags made available as an option.
-Reverse-Sensing System made available as an option
-Limited models get new 5-spoke 16" alloy wheels.
-A new interior color, Dark Graphite, is added to the option list.

Here's a possible donor (2000 V8 AWD Limited) I am currently scoping:

_image.jpg

Notice the "more-rare" Limited factory wheels that won't scream "I'm actually an Explorer in 56 clothing"?

Now after 2001, the body changes, which in turn the frame has too. There are more challenges trying to use a frame of the newer generations. In fact, you need to be careful when selecting a donor for any project, especially with wheelbase and frame width. I haven't talked a lot about that yet, so before taking an Explorer Sport down to the frame, realize there are different wheelbase lengths and it may or may not fit your application. My first 56 was a very rare LONGBED version that I wouldn't have been able to do this with, without replacing or shortening the entire bed. Some factors you will also find (even with my project) is that the bed will need some modification due to the extra humps in the back for suspension and crossmembers which may require some additional fabrication. I'll go more into detail with that when the time and pics come.

If I haven't mentioned it, YES, I plan on using updated seats that will bolt in the factory bolt holes of the explorer floor. The floor pan of the 56 has seen better days and would have had to be repaired/replaced anyway. Dave Boley's link I posted in this reply shows how the floorboard fits into this equation.

Stay tuned for more pics, more links, and more questions!

This is awesome, you're doing what I want to do one day. I want to rebuild my ex, and when the time comes and I have kids and there old enough I want to do a 53-56 F100 on my ex with them.

Thank you! You hold the power to make anything happen, but start dreaming today. That way you have a head start, plus you won't have time to sleep long enough to have dreams when you have kids. :)

The Financials

Tonight I wanted to share some of the financial aspects of the project so far. The purchased amount, items purchased and what I have invested so far. But first I wanted make a correction. I ran into the bill of sale today going through papers and forgot that I actually got the truck for $800, not $850. I edited the amount from my first post. It was listed for $850 and an arm wrestle later I managed to get it for $800..... he wouldn't budge from that number. :p

I already had a "shop toy", this little red bundle of junk that I built using 3 four-wheelers worth of "ok" parts from previous projects to somehow make 1 that actually looked like a somewhat decent four-wheeler.

I gladly let it go for $550 when I found out that I might be getting a new project. This thing was missing a battery and a starter solenoid from being running. I got the ENTIRE thing for FREE, so it was total profit, just my own labor.

IMG_20130423_142927_064.jpg

So, that helped get the majority of the expense of purchase, but I started to think about it more, especially after I got it home and the pieces were already loose. (which made dis-assembly a breeze by the way!) It also helped me determine what I could turn loose of and hand over to someone else to utilize while getting some of the cost back in return. My plans weren't to use all of the parts, so why do I need to hoard them?

Sold the bench seat CHEAP, which was in amazing shape. Kinda regret that, but oh well, $75 in my pocket.

IMG_20130425_235452_817.jpg

Frame was easy to part with, just getting it out from under the cab was challenging. It sold within a day of being listed on Craigslist for $200

IMG_20130503_175948_620.jpg

IMG_20130503_183959_325.jpg

IMG_20130503_180012_229.jpg

IMG_20130428_190451_651.jpg

That was just ridiculous, S10 rear end...... really?

And here are the cab removal pics. It was on a weekend that my brother was out of town, my friends all busy, and my 2-year old taking a nap. (seriously though, not anything to let kids help with) I was by myself, neighbors were all gone. Just me and a couple of jacks and some warped landscape timbers. My wife watched from the windows in case she needed a laugh.... I mean call 911. Complete 1-Man Operation. (Don't try this at home)

IMG_20130428_190620_639.jpg

IMG_20130504_111130_818.jpg

IMG_20130504_111146_490.jpg

IMG_20130504_170128_625.jpg

So, $550 for the four wheeler, $75 for the seat, $200 for the frame. That's $825. The truck was $800. That $25 profit was used up in gas used in a pickup I borrowed to go get it, $10 in bike pulleys, plus a couple bucks worth of toilet bowl cleaner. Right now I think of it as a FREE TRUCK!!!! I still have lots of parts to sell too!

IMG_20130428_032225_535.jpg

IMG_20130503_193612_113.jpg

I keep thinking I can get lucky like this with the donor Explorer and make most/all my money back after buying it!!! We'll see! :)

Looks great man! Cant wait to see how this turns out!

If it sounds too good to be true....

Tonight I went back through the posts to edit some extra info, corrected some grammar, and other details my memory "remembered".

Here's a side-story I'd like to share:

I bought this 1976 Ford (Ranger trim level) F150 last year on Craigslist. It was advertised with NO pictures and very little description. The only parts I remember clearly was "New Engine" and "$800". I thought that it would have to be a total bust, scammer, or I was about to get mugged. I carefully pulled up, saw the truck and immediately thought, "Um... this can't be the truck, it practically looks brand new with shiny paint (minus the faded spray paint that was attempting to cover a few scratches). The older gentleman walked out with a walker and described his health problems and how he couldn't drive a standard any longer and drove the truck for a week after the motor was installed. The receipt from Autozone was $2400!!!! That's before installation and other parts he had put on; brake master cylinder, power steering pump and more!

My biggest surprise was when I was driving it home on the highway, it was over 100 degrees outside. I turned on the A/C switch... the A/C friggin worked!!! No, I don't still have it, but I did make some serious bill payments! Here she is:

IMG_20110813_154324.jpg

How about an all-original interior (minus stereo) complete with the floor mats that were installed when NEW!

IMG_20110813_154434.jpg

There's the jewel, 351M V-8 with less than 500 miles on the motor. Holley 750 carb and all the other goodies.

IMG_20110813_154343.jpg

Tell me the last time you saw a 70's pickup that the tailgate was as in mint condition as this?!?!?! Look at that reflection on the side and trim so sharp and straight! The white Explorer next to it was my '97 I talked about in the first post.

IMG_20110813_154249.jpg

The guy that bought it pulled up in a Range Rover and handed me the cash and said, "One of my guys will be by later to pick it up." DIDN'T EVEN TAKE IT FOR A TEST DRIVE!

Moral of the story, "If it sounds too good to be true, maybe it's even better than that!"

Here's a complete transformation with great pics

Tonight I'm going to share some pics, for those who missed the link from one of my prior posts, of a complete Explorer transformation with added info. THIS IS NOT MY TRUCK, using for reference only.

Here's the link again: [URL="http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displayalbum.php?&userid=171009&albumid=27585[/URL]

This picture shows a '91 Explorer Stripped of it's body, but leaves some important things intact, like the floor board, firewall with steering column, and inner fender wells that hold all the engine compartment brackets, wiring and plumbing.

1.bmp

In this picture you are able to see where the Explorer floor ends and new material has been added to fill the rest of the width of the 56's floor board. You can also see the new material that closes the gap on the sides where the hinges are located. There's an area where the explorer chassis actually fits inside the 56 cab, this just cleans up that gap.

5.bmp

In an earlier post I mentioned that the frame width was important. This is at the rear of the cab. Notice how that fits nicely? Like it is supposed to fit!

4.bmp

Front clip mounted

2.bmp

Bed mounted. Notice how the fuel filler neck/hoses will be a little challenging without modification.

6.bmp

Body parts in place, looks like it's ready for paint. Notice the lowered look it already has.

7.bmp

Painted and ready for completion.

8.bmp

Bed shot. I do not like the horizontal chrome strips as much as vertical strips. Showing this mainly so you can see that the bed is higher than normal to clear the suspension and cross-members just a bit. It isn't too noticeable to most people who don't know what they are looking at.

9.bmp

Ahhhhhh.... there she is, complete!

11.bmp

Can't wait to see the day that I post my "finished" pics. It will be a little while, so I will continue to enjoy doing this "research and development". :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What are your thoughts?

I'm still shopping for Explorers. I have seen everything on Craigslist from moderately damaged (body), non-running, and even nearly pristine examples. One with airbags deployed and removed, needing a few other parts that were removed for $800. One that has sat in a garage for two years or more for $1100 with 4 flat tires, and one that runs and drives but "may" need front differential repair for $1750.

My questions to those "in the know" is what is your experience with AWD Explorers? If I had to repair the AWD system, I would be doing the repairs myself instead of spending a grand or more for some shop to do it. Should I stay away from the AWD because of an experience you've had? Or, does it make such a difference that I could not live without it? When I try to Google it, I run into a lot of varying responses, vague information and a bunch of ads for newer ones.

I MUST have a V8, but the AWD part is optional, I just think it would be the greatest thing to tell people that my '56 Ford is AWD. I do plan on towing boats and trailers with it.

All your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Back