Switching to Synthetic Motor Oil | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Switching to Synthetic Motor Oil

I am now driving across state FL for my job it's a 240 mi round trip and ready for another oil change
Can I go up to a 5 -30 oil instead of the 5 -20 oil with out issue. I know with variable valve timing not shure how a heavier oil would act. Just looking for a little more protection on hot days at 80 mph drives
Making drive 1 or 2 times a week

iPad
As per my PM, I have moved your post to this thread. The manufacturer has stated to use 5W-20 oil for a reason. Therefore it should be good enough for what you want to do. You can also go to a synthetic blend or a full synthetic 5W-20 oil as well.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok
I am running a synthetic oil now I want to know if I would have any problem running a 5- 30 oil vs a 5-20 I see in the explorer turbo a 5-30 oil is noted .
All my other 6 cyl engines I ran 5-30

Ok
I am running a synthetic oil now I want to know if I would have any problem running a 5- 30 oil vs a 5-20 I see in the explorer turbo a 5-30 oil is noted .
All my other 6 cyl engines I ran 5-30
I don't think there would be a problem but I can't say for sure. Don't know why you would want to run a heavier weight oil. My '06 and '09 Highlanders had 6 cylinder engines and they used 5W-20. Only the '02 used the 5W-30. My advice is to stick with what the manufacturer recommended oil.

Peter

I am now driving across state FL for my job it's a 240 mi round trip and ready for another oil change
Can I go up to a 5 -30 oil instead of the 5 -20 oil with out issue. I know with variable valve timing not shure how a heavier oil would act. Just looking for a little more protection on hot days at 80 mph drives

iPad

Ther is no more or less protection on hot days. The vehicle was designed to run on 5W-20. The vehicle reaches it's normal operating temperature and stays there regardless of a hot day, cold day, northern climate, southern climate ect..ect...it stays there because the thermostat and fans on the rad adjust and keep the temperature there!
Now, the lower end 0-20, 5-20, 10-20 indicates it's viscosity at lower temperature for cold starting.

Old wives tale. Make the switch.

Mobil 1 5W-20 Full Synth. Readily available at WalMart, often on-sale.

This is absolutely correct: make the switch ASAP and go with Mobil 1......and that's a fact Jack........best regards Plum

iPad

I have almost 88,000 miles on my Explorer. All oil has been full synthetic since the first oil change (1,000 mile mark). I've used 0W30, 5W30, 0W40. For the past +30,000 miles I've been using Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 5W40. Change oil every 7,000 miles. Truck runs great. Still get great gas mileage....about 17-19 mixed city/highway.....and 22-24 highway (65-70 MPH).

I like the 5W40 for the higher zinc and phosphorus levels.

I am curious how much gas mileage would increase after switching to synthetic. Right now, for a mix of city and highway driving, I am getting 17.2 mpg on 2014 Explorer

I have always used synthetic on my cars and plan to switch to that on the Explorer at the first available opportunity.

Can anyone tell me if the oil filter is easily accessible on the explorer? Also, if I did a DIY oil change, am I risking factory warranty in anyway? I dont want to give a reason for them to wiggle out of warranty obligation

I am curious how much gas mileage would increase after switching to synthetic. Right now, for a mix of city and highway driving, I am getting 17.2 mpg on 2014 Explorer

I have always used synthetic on my cars and plan to switch to that on the Explorer at the first available opportunity.

Can anyone tell me if the oil filter is easily accessible on the explorer? Also, if I did a DIY oil change, am I risking factory warranty in anyway? I dont want to give a reason for them to wiggle out of warranty obligation

Not enough to notice.

Although I'm not sure, your Explorer may have come with a synthetic blend oil. If doing it yourself be sure to keep all receipts. You may also want to read;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398612&highlight=oil+change

Peter

What about when to switch when new? I.e., I'm taking deliver in next few weeks. When do I switch to synthetic?

I switched one truck to Mobil 1 at I think 120k miles, no issues, actually runs better. Smoother, and mpg avg about 1.5 better overall.

What about when to switch when new? I.e., I'm taking deliver in next few weeks. When do I switch to synthetic?

I would wait at least for the first scheduled oil change. They put a very low viscosity break in oil in it for a reason and I think the engine engineers know more than the people on most forums you will read.

Synthetic oil is better, but regular oil is just fine and people can get several hundred thousand miles out of an engine using regular oil.

The two big advantages to synthetic for most people are

1. Helps cold starting a lot if it is very cold

2. After your warranty is up if you prefer to extend your regular oil change interval you have to go synthetic as regular oil will not last that long. Most people do not extend the miles for each oil change and throw the real advantage of synthetic oil away.

There are other minor advantages to synthetic but the above two are the best reasons for going with synthetic oil.

Me be in Canada (cold half the year) - check. Me being cheap (I hunt down on-sale synthetic) - check. Synthetic it is!

I'll be sure to check out Bill's thread.

Thanks

I would wait at least for the first scheduled oil change. They put a very low viscosity break in oil in it for a reason and I think the engine engineers know more than the people on most forums you will read.

Synthetic oil is better, but regular oil is just fine and people can get several hundred thousand miles out of an engine using regular oil.

2. After your warranty is up if you prefer to extend your regular oil change interval you have to go synthetic as regular oil will not last that long. Most people do not extend the miles for each oil change and throw the real advantage of synthetic oil away.

There are other minor advantages to synthetic but the above two are the best reasons for going with synthetic oil.
Regular oil will be good for as long as the Oil Life Indicator shows which is 10,000 miles under normal driving circumstances. How much further do you really need to go? Synthetic will help the engine turn over easier in cold weather.
Because I do a lot of short runs < 10 miles, I change mine every 6 months which in my case is no more than about 2000 miles. I should have about 14,000 miles on it when my 4 year lease is up in March 2015.

Peter

Regular oil will be good for as long as the Oil Life Indicator shows which is 10,000 miles under normal driving circumstances. How much further do you really need to go? Synthetic will help the engine turn over easier in cold weather.
Because I do a lot of short runs < 10 miles, I change mine every 6 months which in my case is no more than about 2000 miles. I should have about 14,000 miles on it when my 4 year lease is up in March 2015.

Peter

Some people drive a lot of long miles which is easier service than a lot of short distances. It varies from car to car, but yes some people would like to extend oil changes and synthetics can do that, but I would not do it before the warranty is up.

Otherwise the only big advantage is the cold start issue.

But if I only drove 14,000 miles over a 4 year period I would just use regular oil. I only drive 30000 miles over 4 years, so I simply use regular oil as there is no real advantage for me to use synthetic oil (if it get really cold I tow my car south with my Motor Home)

We just bought out EX and plan on changing to full synthetic at 3k miles. What interval should it be changed after that? I did notice that there isnt even a selection for 3k on the vehicle report page. It has 5, 7.5, and 10k

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a T O N of false information in this post. Mainly:

1) Ford does NOT put a break in oil in the Explorers. They put in a 5W20 oil. In the USA, this is a semi synthetic.

2) A 5W20 dino oil and a 5W20 Mobil 1 oil have the same cold weather starting abilities. That's what the "5" means. If you want better cold weather protection or statring ability, then you would need to consider a 0W20, for example.

Back