Explorer Navigation Tracking Problem | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Navigation Tracking Problem

In my previous vehicle (Buick Rainier) the GPS antenna was under the front dash as well. I think you will find that's a fairly common place for them to be. Although I think its a dumb place for it.
I agree. I wonder if it has anything to do with having to be close to the actual unit? Perhaps a longer antenna input cable would affect the signal to the GPS unit although I'm sure it would be shielded. :dunno:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go to www.fordparts.com

Put in your VIN, then search GPS antenna.

I found two listing, same part number, and exploded views of module and wiring to antenna.

Go to www.fordparts.com

Put in your VIN, then search GPS antenna.

I found two listing, same part number, and exploded views of module and wiring to antenna.
You don't really need your VIN. You can also just select year/make/model and then 'Search Catalogue'. You can then enter a 'Keyword' or search on the various vehicle parts. I use this site almost weekly to answer member questions and have never entered a VIN number.
If you want to now the cost of a part and it isn't shown when you select it, just add it to your shopping cart and then when you go and check your cart, it usually will show the price.
For the GPS module 10E893 only it shows $70.62.

Peter

And what is the likelihood that the GPSM module there would require some sort of programming?

*edit* So it seems there was a cheaper part for build dates after 9-3-12. Showing $69.08 for build dates after 9-3-12. Not sure I understand why there is a GPS antenna for Explorers with Navigation and another for Explorers with Sync. Guess if I were designing it, I'd use a universal antenna that could work with both systems...

I'm convinced, the GPS antenna in our Explorer is under the dash board. If this were a USENET newsgroup (anyone know what that is) we could add it to our FAQ.

I'm convinced, the GPS antenna in our Explorer is under the dash board. If this were a USENET newsgroup (anyone know what that is) we could add it to our FAQ.
It is indeed under the dash. You can check out the location in the diagram on fordparts.com. I think it was likely installed by the same person that installed the interior fuse box. :D

Peter

Just went through this entire thread and I am not a happy camper - I just bought a 2014 Explorer XLT and within a day started having every problem listed. I took my truck into the dealership this morning and they did perform an upgrade per Ford. The service manager tested it out and it appeared to work OK but within 10 minutes of me driving I started having problems again. I have always been a GMC person; several of my friends have bought this model over the past year and since the GMC model I was looking at was about $3 to 4000 higher I decided to try the Ford out. For the most part I am happy with the vehicle but since one of the options I wanted was the Navigation system! Well I'm not happy - My dealer too had not heard of this problem so am now waiting for him to hear back from Ford. So the Thread continues!

Just went through this entire thread and I am not a happy camper - I just bought a 2014 Explorer XLT and within a day started having every problem listed. I took my truck into the dealership this morning and they did perform an upgrade per Ford. The service manager tested it out and it appeared to work OK but within 10 minutes of me driving I started having problems again. I have always been a GMC person; several of my friends have bought this model over the past year and since the GMC model I was looking at was about $3 to 4000 higher I decided to try the Ford out. For the most part I am happy with the vehicle but since one of the options I wanted was the Navigation system! Well I'm not happy - My dealer too had not heard of this problem so am now waiting for him to hear back from Ford. So the Thread continues!
Welcome to the Forum Hombrewr. :wavey:
Sorry to hear that your having problems right from the start. I assume the update you are referring to is the new MFT V3.6.2? The S/D card in the Navigation slot should be an A4. Have you confirmed that? I don't use navigation much but the last time I wanted to see how long it took the GPS to connect. Instead of the 20 seconds or so it took a couple of minutes and then the arrow was way off base. Upon restarting the vehicle all was fine again. Hope that you get the issue resolved.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Hombrewr. :wavey:
Sorry to hear that your having problems right from the start. I assume the update you are referring to is the new MFT V3.6.2? The S/D card in the Navigation slot should be an A4. Have you confirmed that? I don't use navigation much but the last time I wanted to see how long it took the GPS to connect. Instead of the 20 seconds or so it took a couple of minutes and then the arrow was way off base. Upon restarting the vehicle all was fine again. Hope that you get the issue resolved.

Peter

Peter, I could not agree more. Good questions to follow up. I personally had some issues with Navigation right after getting delivery of my Exp. Navigation was frozen in one location. After visiting the service department (twice) and reading some threads in this forum (including your precise description of where the fuse box is located and how it needs to be reached) decided to a negative battery disconnect (5 min minimum) and my navigation issues are gone since.

NB: not saying this is a solution to the problem, there is the Master Reset and the Re-boot file and finally the service department visit where they can address his issues more effectively.

These four mentioned ways of resetting MFT, re-boot file, master reset, fuse pull and negative battery cable disconnect are long gone and erased from my brain.

Bobby

Thanks for the responses; not at the remove fuse/battery yet, got a call from the dealer last night and they received a response from Ford and want to do a couple of "tests". In the mean time I found a web site (through this forum") that provides a download for a "Master Reset" app that I may try today. I need to verify the SD card but yes the upgrade was Gen2 V3.6.2, which are suppose to address - Enhanced voice destination entry for SD Card Navigation (if equipped) and Improved Navigation vehicle positioning (if equipped) (this is a direct cut and paste from their upgrade notes!). It wouldn't bother me so much except this is a NEW 2014 and no I don't use the navigation that much either but I do enjoy using it on long trips to inform me how as to where I am and far I can go from my last fill-up (plot the next gas station) - Thanks again for the feed back and I'll keep you posted.

Out of curiousity, as I never tried the fuse pull fix before, I thought I would do it. Pain in the rear on my '13. But I pulled fuse 29, assuming the cover was labeled correctly. It was the 2nd column of fuses from the "top" at the bottom row. Little yellow one. Did I get the right one?

I ask, because being curious, I powered on accessory power while holding the fuse, and my radio screen came right on. Although it had reset to AM.

Thoughts? also, once the fuse is removed, do I need to leave it out for a while to drain any capacitor?

Out of curiousity, as I never tried the fuse pull fix before, I thought I would do it. Pain in the rear on my '13. But I pulled fuse 29, assuming the cover was labeled correctly. It was the 2nd column of fuses from the "top" at the bottom row. Little yellow one. Did I get the right one?

I ask, because being curious, I powered on accessory power while holding the fuse, and my radio screen came right on. Although it had reset to AM.

Thoughts? also, once the fuse is removed, do I need to leave it out for a while to drain any capacitor?
According the picture on page 328 in the Owner's Guide, #29 is on the very bottom of the second row. It controls Radio and GPS module. I can't tell you what colour it is since I'll never be able to get down there to see.

Peter

Yup, that's the one I got. I guess what I saw was correct, the screen came on, but had no radio. But it makes sense that the rest of the sync system came on (climate, etc).

Verified the Nav disc was indeed A4 and the software is current but... Tried to run the Master Reset that didn't do anything. Currently have another appointment in a week of so.

Before you hit the dealership, try a neg battery terminal pull for 15 mins.

Easier and sometimes wipes it clean.

Well I have to say, after the fuse pull, my NAV seems to be tracking much better! Only been out once, but it was right on throughout the drive today, in places where it would always be off. We'll see how it does over the course of the next week or two.

I talked to my service manager and he is telling me that Ford admits there is a problem and will be releasing a new correction bulletin, so while I'm waiting for them to figure it out I'm going to try the -battery trick.

GGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

I've got some choice definitions for the meaning of MFT, but suffice it to say I am livid...

This tracking issue almost caused a wreck today as I was trying to figure out why it was telling me to get off the George Bush Tollway and make three right turns to enter the George Bush Tollway !!!!!!!!!
It had my vehicle 2 blocks north of the road I was on and trying to get me back on track !

And of course I was going somewhere I didn't know, was late, and depending on the gps to get me there ! The garmin is going back on the dash !

The wife didn't get the pic in time, but it did it again later and she got a pic of it having me on the wrong side of the road going against traffic and doing some weird routing !

Sorry for the bad pics, but I'm so mad -
well, only little - silly me, what was I expecting - something that worked ?
it's just a waste of $1000 and the principle of a ford failure...

Come on Ford - I have two non working navs in two 2013 Fords !!! What a MESS !

Attachments

• routing wrong way.jpg
    routing wrong way.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 363
  • Wrong way.jpg
    Wrong way.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 363

Well I'm not going to hold my breath BUT I did pull the neg terminal off my batt and let it sit for 15+ min; that's to make sure all capacitors are drained (you can also remove both cables and short them together but I wasn't in a hurry so...) When I reconnected the terminal my screen came on and it said it was going through a "Maintenance recovery function". I got into my car and drove to a friends house (~10 - 15 mi) and monitored my nav all the way - No Problem. When I drove back to my house I used the tracking portion to "lead" me home - no Problem. Next I drove up to Snowbird (~30 -40 mi) w/nav - No problem and this was up into the mountains with plenty of curves. On the way back I also kept an eye on the Nav it tracked ever turn and curve. Now I'm not letting Ford off the hook but this is the best news I've seen since I bought this car!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One added thing - Ford had my car on Thursday - they said they found some more "upgrades" on the software and the updated my car but when I got in the problem (which seemed to be getting better) was now worse - which is what prompted me to do the battery reset.

Back