Do you have a block heater in your Explorer? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do you have a block heater in your Explorer?

Do you have a block heater?

• Yes it does, I use it.

Votes: 42 24.3%
  • Yes it does, but I do not use it.

Votes: 23 13.3%
  • No it does not.

Votes: 82 47.4%
  • It was removed before I bought vehicle/does not work.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • What is a block Heater?

Votes: 18 10.4%
  • Trucks come with Block heaters? I thought those were only in tractors.....

Votes: 6 3.5%

• Total voters
Temps around here get close to -50 Degrees Farenheit, so we need then for sure!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have one in my 2002 but never need to use it at all/

Yes, all X's designated for sale in Canada were to be equpped with a heater of some type from 1990. Although I am only in New York, I find that using my block heater makes starts so much simpler and more comfortable. And it is appreciated by my neighbors when they call me to pull their vehicles out of their driveways after a 20 inch snowfall.

How is it connected???

I bought 05 Explorer XLT with V8, 4.6L and it had this AC connector at the front bumper, so I assumed it has heater but then i looked closer and noticed that this AC connector has about 1f wire with some kind of a flat 3-pin female connnector and it's just hungning in the air.
I looks all over and ( !!! ) cannot find the other end.
does anyone know where is suppose to go? some kind of wiring diagram or pictuer would really help.
I found some other sensor next to it, right in the middle, under the center bar ( below the grill ) and that one has wire going along the Left side of the grill, attached to the frame, but as long as I see it it's only one wire....
Can anyone look and/or tell where it goes, please? Or maybe if u tell me where it gets into engine.... i could try trAck it back....( not sure if it's easier )
Thanks
Alex

Don't think I'd have much use for one in So Cal:p:

I bought 05 Explorer XLT with V8, 4.6L and it had this AC connector at the front bumper, so I assumed it has heater but then i looked closer and noticed that this AC connector has about 1f wire with some kind of a flat 3-pin female connnector and it's just hungning in the air.
I looks all over and ( !!! ) cannot find the other end.
does anyone know where is suppose to go? some kind of wiring diagram or pictuer would really help.
I found some other sensor next to it, right in the middle, under the center bar ( below the grill ) and that one has wire going along the Left side of the grill, attached to the frame, but as long as I see it it's only one wire....
Can anyone look and/or tell where it goes, please? Or maybe if u tell me where it gets into engine.... i could try trAck it back....( not sure if it's easier )
Thanks
Alex

The block heater would be installed in the engine, in place of one of the freeze plugs.

The block heater would also be a standard 3-wire plug like the end of an extension cord for 120 volt power, not a vehicle-type plug.

Block heaters plug into the wall and take 120 volts, not vehicle 12 volts.

My 2000 XLS has one, but the truck started life out in Canada =] I haven'y used it and probably wont, but I'm leaving it installed, just in case...

My 94 was built in Canada if I recall correctly, it's got a block heater but I don't believe it works.

Last winter in AK was a bad one, dropped to 10-30 below zero at night and killed a whole lot of cars. Shot batteries to cracked engine blocks, even froze up a friend's Durango's power steering pump while he was driving causing him to run into a ditch. The Explorer had to stay outside unfortunately, so I had a quick and ghetto setup consisting of two portable 1500W cube heaters placed under the front end that I'd turn on a couple hours prior to leaving for work. Did the trick, good thing I have no leaks though! That could have gotten ugly if oil had dripped onto the heaters.

It went down to -46C here this past weekend (-50F). Thank god I had it plugged in.

Really don't need it here in NYC. Think the X was built in MA, the sticker on the rear window says something about a Ford Factory.
Unless I see the plugs or the actual thing, I can't say I have one or not, but I doubt it.

Oh another thing, today us newyorkers, got about 8-12in of snow today, (still snowing), oh sooo fun. It is soo fun driving in the snow next to a 2WD crown victora or impala cop car, watching them trying to get out ditches or parking lots. Donuts, drifts, driving on fresh packs of 10in snow is so fun..

Also, it sucks for my friend, who also drives a 99 Cobra Mustang. It has the rear drag tires and they are HORRIBLE in this weather. Just one tap of the gas, we were sliding left and right.

My Ex has one.I have never tried it.Gonna be cold for the next few days.I am going to try it to see if it works.

I knew trucks came with block heaters (esp. some diesel trucks) but I didn't know Explorers came with them.

I didnt see a check box for "My Brother swiped it"
I bought this nice Kat's 1500 Watt Circulating Tank Heater and the radiator hose connector last winter for my Explorer but it wound up in the F-250 we keep up north. I still want one.

174050_lg.gif

All of my vehicles have them, but of course I am up in Canada. I always end up cutting the stock end off of them because they have a temp sensor in them that won't turn the block heater on unless it is under -18 Celsius which I think is just dumb. Still have to buy a new cord for the Explorer though and hopefully it still works!

Well i have a 94 sport without one. Is there any way to install one? Please check out my posts too please.

Well i have a 94 sport without one. Is there any way to install one? Please check out my posts too please.

i do actually... well i think i do .... i have a gen1 and next to my bat tray there is an old looking household plug male-end ... i assume its for a block heater ... i havent used it ... as i live in arizona but its nice to have ( i think)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if u live in canada and dont have one ur a fool. although i have forgot to plug it in a few times when it reached -45 and it still started in the morning. it didnt want to though.

Im a fool! Being that my truck came from a southern climate, I'm sadly without one.
With synthetics, our motors are protected a bit better but it's not great for them to not be flowing oil very well on cold start until friction warms the oil. Pain in the a$$ draining coolant and getting a plug out. Ugh....I wonder where the factory heater location is on a 5.0?

Oops, I just saw this thread is back from the dead. Still relevant I suppose.

Back