Howling Noise | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Howling Noise

Windshield Howling Noise due to Wipers Vibrating??

My 2011 Explorer has howling noise that starts at 70 mph. The noise is intermittent but it was heard since brand new. After 2 years, got the idea to video record it using an iPhone. Reviewing the recording shows it comes from right side windshield area. When the wipers were turned on the howling noise stopped. It appears the noise is from the wind buffeting the wiper that causes the wiper to drum on the windscreen. Make sense? Is there a Ford service report# for this issue?
Darren

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2011 Explorer has howling noise that starts at 70 mph. The noise is intermittent but it was heard since brand new. After 2 years, got the idea to video record it using an iPhone. Reviewing the recording shows it comes from right side windshield area. When the wipers were turned on the howling noise stopped. It appears the noise is from the wind buffeting the wiper that causes the wiper to drum on the windscreen. Make sense? Is there a Ford service report# for this issue?
Darren
See my post #11. I still think it is likely the cowl but I've been wrong a couple of times before. ;)
One way to test your theory would be to remove the wipers and see if the noise is still there under the same circumstances.

Peter

My 2011 Explorer has howling noise that starts at 70 mph. The noise is intermittent but it was heard since brand new. After 2 years, got the idea to video record it using an iPhone. Reviewing the recording shows it comes from right side windshield area. When the wipers were turned on the howling noise stopped. It appears the noise is from the wind buffeting the wiper that causes the wiper to drum on the windscreen...

Hi Darren,

Have you taken your Explorer to the dealership so they can check things out? After you get a diagnosis, shoot me a PM if you need any additional assistance.

Crystal

It's definitely the black plastic cowl at the bottom of the windshield. I placed a piece of masking tape along the bottom of the windshield where it connects to the black cowl, and took her all the way up to 100mph on the local air-strip. No noise whatsoever, or what a $46k vehicle "should" sound like. Nice thing .50 cent tape fixed it.

It's definitely the black plastic cowl at the bottom of the windshield. I placed a piece of masking tape along the bottom of the windshield where it connects to the black cowl, and took her all the way up to 100mph on the local air-strip. No noise whatsoever, or what a $46k vehicle "should" sound like. Nice thing .50 cent tape fixed it.
The dealer should be able to fix that. There are members who experienced the same issue and the cowl replaced or fixed.

Peter

The dealer should be able to fix that. There are members who experienced the same issue and the cowl replaced or fixed.

Peter

Oh I'm sure they'll fix it. I'm going to hold off til 10k miles though and have it . done when I take er in for service. I purchased a brand new car to avoid going to the dealer often for repairs for a few years...other than routine maintenence.. oh well

NcExplorerman - I'm amazed that after putting up with this on your 2011 you actually purchased a 2014! You are a very loyal Ford customer. My first Ford was a 1978 Grenada and due to my job as a sales rep early in my career I was given a new vehicle every 18 months or so. Except for 2 or 3 exceptions they have all been Fords. Including, the first year of the Taurus (it had its issues!), I also had an SHO and a Flex. One son (32) has owned nothing but Fords up until his latest car and the other (34) owns an Escape. I can say that if this problem had not been fixed I would never have purchased another Ford. It so happens that in my present position I am responsible for our fleet. It isnt large (10) but for the last 7 or 8 years all of our guys have driven Taurus' and Fusion's. I'm not saying that I would change this (they were/are excellent vehicles) but I would definately be looking closer at other cars. The auto companies are well aware of family and business loyalties to a brand. Loyalty only goes so far however and build quality and after service must be maintained. I have experienced some built/design quality issues but the after service has been good.
13Tuxedosport - I suggest that you print this thread, hi-lite the pertinent points and give it to the dealer when you bring the vehicle in. As suggested in another thread I got a bit of push back when I did this but explained that it really didnt make sense to re invent the wheel. The problem is real, known and if it is only the cowling easy to fix.
Sorry for the ramble!

My 2011 Explorer had a noise coming from windshield at highway speeds. Ford Service "replaced A-pillar mouldings as per TSB".

Hi Darren,

Have you taken your Explorer to the dealership so they can check things out? After you get a diagnosis, shoot me a PM if you need any additional assistance.

Crystal

Ford Service @ Don Seelye Ford fixed the noise. Replaced the A-pillar mouldings as per TSB. Thanks for reviewing these posts.

Ouch...dash removal. Hope there isn't any "new" noises after it is all put back together.

rbreding - unfortunately you were right. I am now way out of the warrenty period but now have rattles in the dash.

I'll get used to the louder music!

Back