going for the gusto... | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

going for the gusto...

Originally posted by RTStork
Bill, what size blocks did you use, and how much did you drop the front? Did you flip the torsion bar adjuster?

I used 2 inch blocks in the rear and just removed the adjuster bolts for the front.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's what i figured, I didn't think it looked likt the 3"

The U-bolts can be a pain. I had a couple of friends there to help me get them situated....just kinda lofced them to work.

Let us know how you like it after you've driven on it for a few days.

Originally posted by Godfather 1138
That's what i figured, I didn't think it looked likt the 3"

The U-bolts can be a pain. I had a couple of friends there to help me get them situated....just kinda lofced them to work.

Let us know how you like it after you've driven on it for a few days.

Actually, I am getting my wheels and tires tomorrow so I didn't have time to flip the torsion thingy(technical term). The shop that is doing my alignment already told me I could bring it back for realignment for as long as I have the tires I bought from them. I will probably attempt the flip sometime next month.

Also, I ordered the Edelbrock shocks and they should be in next week. I will be out of town starting Saturday and won't return until a week from Sunday. I should be able to install them in an evening. I will keep you posted on my opinions of the before and after ride quality both with stock and Edelbrock shocks.

I love the looks of these SUVs!!! I've always been a fan of lifting trucks, lowering cars, but now I am starting to woder how long I can last until I lower mine!

Are there are downsides to doing this? Any idea on the life of the cv's etc, now that you have dropped it so low? How is the performance?

>>Also, I ordered the Edelbrock shocks and they should be in next week<<

If you've already ordered new shocks(assume because you're doing a lowering job), and you plan to do the "torsion thingy" to lower it even more, how do you know the new shocks will work properly following that?(I assumed new shocks should be ordered according to how many inches the truck will be lowered total over stock).

BILL,
YOU SAID,"REMOVED THE ADJUSTER BOLTS"?

I THOUGHT YOU JUST TURN THEM TO LOWER IT, REMOVE THEM...???
HELP I'M LOST.

ALSO ON THE BACK DID YOU CUT THE STOPPERS?
I WAS GOING TO GO 3" ON MY 2000 SPORT, BUT I LOOKED AT THE CLEARANCE...LOOKS LIKE I'D HAVE TO REMOVE THE STOPPERS COMPLETLY, NOT A GOOD THING.

THANKS IN ADVANCE, LOOKS GOOD!
MORE PIX!!!:bounce:
JOHNNY

Ok, I have new pics. I just removed the adjusters. It required 4 shims for the alignment. I believe it was 2 for the camber and 2 for the a-arms.

Here is the original truck:

Dead Link Removed

Here it is lowered:

Dead Link Removed

And here it is now:

Dead Link Removed

Here is another angle:

Dead Link Removed

And another:

Dead Link Removed

And finally:

Dead Link Removed

Looks Gud! :thumbsup:

Looks real gud! I like that shade of red too. What wheels are those?

Originally posted by taxxman2k
Looks Gud! :thumbsup:

Looks real gud! I like that shade of red too. What wheels are those?

Thanks for the compliment. I really like this shade of red myself. It is the same red that came on the SVT Contour. The wheels are Edelbrock 409s. They are a highly polished aluminum.

Originally posted by Johnny V
ALSO ON THE BACK DID YOU CUT THE STOPPERS?
I WAS GOING TO GO 3" ON MY 2000 SPORT, BUT I LOOKED AT THE CLEARANCE...LOOKS LIKE I'D HAVE TO REMOVE THE STOPPERS COMPLETLY, NOT A GOOD THING.

I haven't removed them and I haven't bottomed out(YET). I don't know if it's because the '01 Sports come with progressive rate spring from the factory, but the ride so fars is excellent. It does seem a little too soft but nowhere near as bouncy as it was before. I am hoping the new shocks will make a big difference.

Originally posted by rcogs
>>Also, I ordered the Edelbrock shocks and they should be in next week<<

If you've already ordered new shocks(assume because you're doing a lowering job), and you plan to do the "torsion thingy" to lower it even more, how do you know the new shocks will work properly following that?(I assumed new shocks should be ordered according to how many inches the truck will be lowered total over stock).

You are probably right, but even if I did the flip I would only want one additional inch of front drop. I don't think that would cause a problem with the Edelbrocks. I will see how the ride is after I install the shocks, I may not even worry about the flip.

Originally posted by Michigander
I love the looks of these SUVs!!! I've always been a fan of lifting trucks, lowering cars, but now I am starting to woder how long I can last until I lower mine!

Are there are downsides to doing this? Any idea on the life of the cv's etc, now that you have dropped it so low? How is the performance?

Being a former Michigander, I would think twice about doing this in MI. It would depend on the roads you travel. It looks like you travel mostly mid-to-upper MI so you would probably be ok.

>>I haven't removed them and I haven't bottomed out(YET). I don't know if it's because the '01 Sports come with progressive rate spring from the factory, but the ride so fars is excellent. It does seem a little too soft but nowhere near as bouncy as it was before. I am hoping the new shocks will make a big difference<<

You shouldn't bottom out if all you've done is backed the adjusting bolts out all the way(if you flip the adjuster on the end of the bar, then you'll hit bottom at some point). I backed the bolts out of the bars on my '99 2wd Sport, relocated the rear single leaf spring spacer plates to the top of the leafs, installed new stock replacement Bilsteins and had no trouble. Took all four corners down exactly 1-9/16"(put on 31" Michelins, made it look even lower).

What size tires are those? Looks like since they are a little shorter, it might look better if you drop it another inch or two. They look great.

>>I haven't removed them and I haven't bottomed out(YET). I don't know if it's because the '01 Sports come with progressive rate spring from the factory, but the ride so fars is excellent. It does seem a little too soft but nowhere near as bouncy as it was before. I am hoping the new shocks will make a big difference<<

You shouldn't bottom out if all you've done is backed the adjusting bolts out all the way(if you flip the adjuster on the end of the bar, then you'll hit bottom at some point). I backed the bolts out of the bars on my '99 2wd Sport, relocated the rear single leaf spring spacer plates to the top of the leafs, installed new stock replacement Bilsteins and had no trouble. Took all four corners down exactly 1-9/16".

Unfortunately the '01 Sports come with a multi-leaf rear so I had to use blocks.

Originally posted by RTStork
What size tires are those? Looks like since they are a little shorter, it might look better if you drop it another inch or two. They look great.

The tires are 255/55/17. You are probably right about the additional drop but I think I will wait for better options before going down any further. My whole objective was to improve handling by lowering the center of gravity. I was also looking to improve the appearance, but I was getting sick of being jolted when crossing uneven surfaces and riding over speed bumps. The stock suspension is not very forgiving.

>>Unfortunately the '01 Sports come with a multi-leaf rear so I had to use blocks<<

That's what I like about my 2wd, it didn't cost me a cent to lower it(it's actually probably close to a 2in. drop once it settled).

Beautiful truck you have. Love those wheels. Yes, even though you lowered it, with the new low profile tires, it looks as though you added some space back to the tops of the tires and the wheelwell. Time to bring it down a little more:)

>>Unfortunately the '01 Sports come with a multi-leaf rear so I had to use blocks<<

That's what I like about my 2wd, it didn't cost me a cent to lower it(it's actually probably close to a 2in. drop once it settled).

Beautiful truck you have. Love those wheels. Yes, even though you lowered it, with the new low profile tires, it looks as though you added some space back to the tops of the tires and the wheelwell. Time to bring it down a little more:)

Like I said, when more effective options become available I just may do that. If I could get rear shackles and something replaceable in the front I will do it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can someone please post a good pic of the blocks in the rear please. I have see a few but they werent very clear. I can read how they go in all I want but I wont toatlly understand until I see it. Thanks guys.

Back