• Register Today It's free!

FRONT and REAR LOCKER

glenn_a

Reaction score
City, State
Sydney
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
hi there, can you please help me confirm from my FORD EXPLORER 1997 SOHC V6 XLT has a
[DANA-35 IFS 27-SPL 10-BOLTS] for the FRONT and
[FORD 8.8 31-SPL 7/8 SHAFT] for the REAR and yes mine has LSD...

I don't know how to check but this info I got from the internet...

if I plan to fit a LOCKER....

NO SLIP POWERTRAX
FRONT; 92-0435-2702 (does not exist anymore)
REAR; 92-0688-3128

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT IS THE RIGHT PART NUMBER FOR ARB AIR LOCKER SUITABLE FOR MY FRONT AND READ DIFF...?

or

I am starting to hear good things about the E LOCKER and if there's anyone out there know what part number is suitable for my Explorer please let me know and if you know where the best place to get this E-LOCKER kit please let me know too....

please if you know any online shop I can get a cheap price ARB air locker please let me know, thank you...!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my buddy just took lockers out of his 01 sport trac. I believe they are the say diffs as the explorers. he is trying to sell them. if you would like to talk or interested in buying them then PM me and I will get his email.

Heck, you live where ARB is made. I would imagine you could get the cheapest price available. I do know of members here using ARB in 1st, 2nd, & 3rd gens, so they are available. Why don't you just contact ARB directly and get the info your looking for?

Richmond gear makes Powertrax lockers for your D-35 standard pinion, & your 8.8 rear axles. They are similar to the other brand made in your area, Aussie lockers. Both are auto lockers, not selectable like ARB is. I don't believe Aussie makes the front locker any more tho. You would have to swap the rear LS carrier to an open for either auto lockers.

Heck, you live where ARB is made. I would imagine you could get the cheapest price available. I do know of members here using ARB in 1st, 2nd, & 3rd gens, so they are available. Why don't you just contact ARB directly and get the info your looking for?

Richmond gear makes Powertrax lockers for your D-35 standard pinion, & your 8.8 rear axles. They are similar to the other brand made in your area, Aussie lockers. Both are auto lockers, not selectable like ARB is. I don't believe Aussie makes the front locker any more tho. You would have to swap the rear LS carrier to an open for either auto lockers.

LOL! honestly its expensive here if I buy a set of air locker then it will cost me around 1,700 and i saw in US online part cost only between $900-1100 plus $100 shipping kinda save me around $500-
aussie locker can't get it here anymore and i heared US bought the rights....

I rang ARB soon they hear FORD/EXPLORER and all they say "sorry we can't help you". ARB australia only concentrate on NISSAN and JEEP. when you ask beyond that well cross your fingers...

There's not much Ford Explorer here in sydney Australia and a little option for part and very expensive too, thats why i go shopping online cos you gut everything there in US..

DID you say I have to swap my LSD carrier to open to install a locker? when i rang www.rocky-road.com say's there's a no-slip locker that will suit for my LSD carrier, correct me if im wrong...

Ive been going thought forums to forums but still cannot decide and still confused with the specs...

AUTO LOCKERS are good OFF ROAD but time to time it will damage few bits like your CV's or Axles or Carrier...
Front Locker are no good if you drive on the freeway more than 80kph and not sure about Rear Locker on high speed...
It make noises (ratchet/popping) noise when ever you turn full lock...
They says too if the front not engage then you wont have problem about the Auto Lockers locking up when ever you turn but Explorer XLT 1997 only have a switch on the dash AUTO/ HI/LOW.... If its in AUTO theres still possibilities to LOCK UP when you turn lock to lock right?

AIR LOCKER is good that you can turn them ON/OFF when you needed the most BUT time to time they leak and the air hose breaks and seal replacement alway the issues and few people in the other FORUMS says they had issues blowing their axles seals when the compressed air (100psi) blows inside your differential..

E- LOCKERS (electronic locker) are good too less maintenance and safe and it only switchable by 12V switch...
I guess when the solenoid fail then we have a problem but i guess we can always quickly tap it or by pass it direct 12V just to give a full kick power...

LSD is good but it may slip time to time when one wheel is OFF the ground, they says it can be adjusted but how long would it last...?

I looked into few ONLINE SHOP and don't know what is the part number for all these lockers theres few specs saying about ratios and that shut me up...

I need help for the right PART NUMBER either for AUTO LOCKERS & AIR LOCKERS & E- LOCKER and what BRAND so i can quickly look up then all i have to worry is the $$$...

I hope you guys can help me too the right specs and ratios if ever for the FRONT and REAR off my FORD EXPLORER 1997 XLT V6 SOHC....

Thank's for Reading

Instead of looking for explorer, look for Rangers when shopping for lockers. You will find them more receptive.

Arb will be the best all around locker for the front, and most will be fine for the rear.

Ox locker has a manual selectable for the front. It used a cable and comes with it's own heavy duty cover.

When looking for ranger lockers, just make sure they work in a standard rotation D35 for front and 8.8 31 spline for rear.

Use this forum to find the proper ranger years that match your explorer year for same axles.

Instead of looking for explorer, look for Rangers when shopping for lockers. You will find them more receptive.

Arb will be the best all around locker for the front, and most will be fine for the rear.

Ox locker has a manual selectable for the front. It used a cable and comes with it's own heavy duty cover.

When looking for ranger lockers, just make sure they work in a standard rotation D35 for front and 8.8 31 spline for rear.

Use this forum to find the proper ranger years that match your explorer year for same axles.

OX LOCKER...? thats new for me my friend, thank for that and i will look into that one..

by the way some online shops when ever i look for a locker theres an option for ratios, what are the ratios do i look for?
what would be the ratios for my front and rear..?

RANGERS..? are the same too? that would help then but I dont think we have Rangers here in OZ.. I will look into it to for lockers and yes it should be same years...

Just a question, there few dana35 and the one im looking for is 27spl right? when i was reading few forums and say's theres a few type dana35 for the front explorer then that make me more confused....

Ratio is the size of gears you have. The carrier changes for larger sizes. Some lockers use an open carrier to fit, some can be used with a LSD carrier. Some replace the carrier. All depends on type & brand.

Instead of talking to them about your particular model (explorer), just talk in terms if the axles you have. Jeeps may be better supported in the aftermarket, but a jeep guy would run over their mothers to get an Explorer 8.8 rear under their rigs.

hi there, can you please help me confirm from my FORD EXPLORER 1997 SOHC V6 XLT has a
[DANA-35 IFS 27-SPL 10-BOLTS] for the FRONT and
[FORD 8.8 31-SPL 7/8 SHAFT] for the REAR and yes mine has LSD...

I don't know how to check but this info I got from the internet...

if I plan to fit a LOCKER....

NO SLIP POWERTRAX
FRONT; 92-0435-2702 (does not exist anymore)
REAR; 92-0688-3128

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT IS THE RIGHT PART NUMBER FOR ARB AIR LOCKER SUITABLE FOR MY FRONT AND READ DIFF...?

or

I am starting to hear good things about the E LOCKER and if there's anyone out there know what part number is suitable for my Explorer please let me know and if you know where the best place to get this E-LOCKER kit please let me know too....

please if you know any online shop I can get a cheap price ARB air locker please let me know, thank you...!

regarding your ARB Air-Locker

front: RD102 Fits 3.54 ratio and numerically higher.
rear: RD81 Fits 31 spline

check page 4
http://arb.com.au/media/products/air-lockers/application_chart.pdf

and for Eaton E-Locker

front: 19821-010 Fits 3.54 ratio and numerically higher.
rear: 19660-010 Fits 31 spline

Check page 3 & 4
http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@per/documents/content/ct_128302.pdf

regarding your ARB Air-Locker

front: RD102 Fits 3.54 ratio and numerically higher.
rear: RD81 Fits 31 spline

done I just bought myself a FRONT ARB AIR LOCKER.... thanks heaps!

by the way I heard there's a way to tighten the rear LSD diff just by replacing a friction plate kit in different ways, just wondering do you have any experiences in this...?

thank you!

I looked at the guide that was refered to . It shows up to 96 , where do I look for 01 & 02 8.8 ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back