Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2 | Page 198 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2

6fddac89-f038-41fd-a560-935b7c13eb5a_zps9fad65a3.jpg

Was unhappy about the angle of the strut, so I welded on some other tabs to the existing tabs to set the angle which I want. I felt that the struts ought to lean the top more to the front of the truck.

SAM_0250_zpse79f26c6.jpg

Here is the angle I'm shooting for. The top is bolted to the new mount. The chrome that you see stays this far out, so to the bottom mounting hole the shaft will extend 5" further down to the same mounting point that the coilover is attached.
Now this length can change once the dialing in starts. But that'll be later after rest of the mounts are done plus getting the nitrogen.
I heard that I could use shop air just to extend the shaft further, but this east coast air is so humid that I don't even want to think about it. Just too much moisture going into the strut.
Read on another site that with these struts I can raise the suspension further up for more clearance on the rocks and still have phenomenal stability. Sounds good to me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SAM_0256_zpsc9a19e9f.jpg

Both rear strut mounts are done :bounce: Now to start on the front. The white crap on top of the rear diff is baking soda...great stuff for putting out fires!
They're mounted at 9 deg. with top toward front. Also I'll be selling the 4 Fox 2.0 coilovers real soon. They would need some nitrogen for most applications. Also I would suggest another set of springs since these are way soft.

SAM_0259_zps9ac08305.jpg

Now to start making the front brackets. Got real lucky, all I need is some flat 3"x 1/4" flat which I have scrap pieces of. The tube is 1.5" diameter so out comes my 1.5" hole saw.

SAM_0258_zps6b7c901a.jpg

Cut in half which will give me one set of brackets.

SAM_0261_zpsced79f56.jpg

Check fit. Also need to stop laying the magnet gizmo near my table grinder lol.

SAM_0263_zps0ff75aa0.jpg

Next is to give them some shape.

SAM_0270_zpsf20cf563.jpg

SAM_0272_zps95d5db68.jpg

One side done. The bottom of the strut will attach to the same bracket where the coilover is attached.

SAM_0281_zps8402e811.jpg

Just received my new air over hydraulic jack for the engine hoist. Just so cool to push the lever and up the truck goes. Lifts both wheels off the ground in seconds.

SAM_0284_zpsb7b29b6a.jpg

But here's the cool thing. A good friend of mine gave me a large nitrogen tank which he thinks is full or least has a good amount of gas in it. All I need now is a regulator, hose and shrader valve at the end. May go to my local hydraulic shop tomorrow and see if he can hook me up. And then the long anticipated installing of the ORI struts :D

airchucknoloss_zps84cf8a65.jpg

Found some suppliers for these No Loss Air Chucks. They attach straight to the shrader valve with no loss of gas when screwing on and off. May just order one or two of these and make up some stainless air lines, did I say "air", I mean nitrogen lines. Two would be cool. That way the exact same pressures and ride height would be the same for the rear or front. But one would work.

SAM_0301_zps5415f49f.jpg

Received my new nitrogen gauge. Now to get going on the actual install of those struts.

SAM_0288_zps1487b42d.jpg

After rigging up a fill line to charge struts I just followed the instructions that were supplied with the struts. First I filled the lower part of the strut with about 90#. This will give me a starting point for firmness of ride. This was done with strut on work table.
On filling the top chamber with gas, I opted for the number 2 way which was installing strut and then raise truck until the strut is fully extended.
As in the above pic.
Then start adding gas for the ride height. Had to bounce the truck a few time and then it settled in. I'm sure I'll be adjusting them as I get to know the ins and outs of these struts.

SAM_0299_zps103eebd2.jpg

SAM_0287_zps14ff6bb9.jpg

The way I've got the first one hooked up, I should get a lot of droop.
What a way to tell how it does initially by riding around the block a few times with an ORI on the pass side and coilover on driver lol. I'm telling you I wish you could ride in it and feel and see the difference. It was like having a wet noodle for a shock on the coilover side.
Just amazing how it took the turns. Just so stable, well at least the driver side. Can only imagine all four installed. Of course, the rocks will tell the truth. The flex ought to be fantastic.

SAM_0316_zps2a80cac6.jpg

SAM_0317_zpsefce3feb.jpg

SAM_0315_zpseca52f25.jpg

Totally ORI'd out! Have not taken off road yet but the initial ride around town was just so much fun. The internal bump stops worked great on some pot holes lol. No more bone jarring bumps. Whipping the wheel now makes it feel like a sports car, plus no more diving down when applying heavy braking.
Not going to need these anymore.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3204361#post3204361

SAM_0373_zpsf7244d99.jpg

Finally off the steel ramps and onto some rocks. So far they're just great.
Other rear strut is starting to stuff while this one is starting to droop. But what I love about them is the way there is no pushing off of the front struts.
The coilovers would have been pushing the front suspension further up.

SAM_0387_zpse4c0c845.jpg

Here's the truck going up with about the same amount of chrome showing as if it were level. Where as the coilovers would have a substantial more showing.

Here's a vid of the new ORI struts going up some rocks. As anyone knows who tried to take videos of your rig going up or down, it just does not do it justice. It's always steeper then what it shows. I'm trying to show how it does not push off like my spring shocks did. You can tell by watching the horizon go below the bumper as to the steepness.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OvELCrZLgk

Here I'm going across my friends just cut hay field. Notice how smooth the body is compared to the struts shaft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mid4sCl4hqY

My local 4x4 asked me to climb their wall for a pic. Now I did not have to think about it twice. It was up higher on the wall when they took their pics while I was in it holding the brakes. But when I got out to take this pic it rolled down some when I put it in park lol, but still.

bfe776b5-152d-4dc3-9bec-a002fdedd7ae_zpsf5b81b27.jpg

f1f5a03a-7bbb-49f1-85c5-0755134f9402_zps2e9b1777.jpg

Sometime soon I'm going to try to make the rear softer but still retaing the ride height.

SAM_0520_zps60a24e8d.jpg

SAM_0517_zps64abed54.jpg

Just received my new Dana 60 ARB. There was a little damage during shipping, but 4Wheelparts payed to have it shipped back to them and then sent another one. It's a 35 spline meaning I'll need new front chromo axle shafts due to the higher spline count. Also I purposely ordered the 4.10 and down carrier even though I'm using a 5.13 R&P. The reason is I wanted to use the thick ring gear to make up for the offset. The front Dana 60 install build will be my Fall/Winter project.
I met a very interesting man who came over to my garage and bought my coilovers. His name is Josh who puts on the "Boulder Bash" events. This man has been around the 4x4 circuit a long time. Next time he puts on an event he's going to invite me. It's 100% pay back to the racers.
Here's one of his links.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/competitions-events/1076607-boulder-bash-october-6th-2012-a.html

ARB front D60 Install

SAM_0533_zps5a4a9be2.jpg

Heating ring gear up to 350 deg.

SAM_0535_zps5ffe4f56.jpg

Shrinking outer diameter of ARB carrier by placing in freezer.

SAM_0537_zpsec4e130e.jpg

Slip ring gear onto ARB and torque each bolt to 110 foot pounds after adding Loctite to threads. The soap stone marks help in sequencing the bolts for torquing.

Well guys after years of working on this Bronco 2, I think it's time to put it up for sell. Need to spend more time with the family. It's been one hell of a ride.

Sorry to see your truck go. You have invested so much time and effort. It's been enjoyable to ride along this great documentary/education. Family is most important at the end of the day.

Hope to see you back here with another blue oval!

It pains me to see this. Your truck has been such an inspiration to my build and is one of the most baddass, well thought out and effective builds in the offroad community.

I hope Samsons new owner uses it to it's full potential.

As awesome as cars are, you still have to focus on the stuff that really matters. You only get one family. Hope to see another build soon though.

sorry to read this rick. was looking forward to seeing you with Samsons at next years afn. hope all is well. good luck with the sale. regardless if you have it or not, get out to afn next year.

Man Rick, that was sudden, BAM!

I hope everything is ok and works out for you...

Re thinking all of this. May just take it to the big Fall Crawl at Gore Va. next week. Health is fine, mostly a family thing.

Pheww... glad your health is ok..

SAM_0548_zpsb7cda9d7.jpg

Just finished loading up the Bronco on trailer. Going to head down to Gore Va to the Fall Crawl. This will be the first time for these ORI struts. Hope I've got um somewhat set up right. I'll see how it goes Fri to see if I'll be back on Sat. Still need to slip on the exo doors.

19231ae8-4932-40c8-bd0b-756ff86be539_zps09e3265d.jpg

Just went out and slipped both door exo's on. Depends on conditions tomorrow if I remove the sheet metal doors and only run the exo's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SAM_0563_zpsa74b472f.jpg

SAM_0558_zps4f6d45c8.jpg

These pics were taken 10/18 at Gore Va at the Fall Crawl which was put on by the Mid Atlantic Early Bronco group. Those ORI struts are just plain awesome. This will be the last crawl for the Bronco this season. What a year.

Back