Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 49 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
I too am getting an odd burn smell. The smell just flows through the AC Vents. I got out of the car and smelled it more so near the brakes on the front drivers side. I should go take a smell at the muffler.

Hi ExplorerQueen,

I suggest making an appointment at your dealership; they'll be happy to perform an inspection. Additionally, I can assist by getting your regional customer service manager involved. Send me your information (name, phone number, VIN, mileage, dealership info) in a PM and I'll get the ball rolling.

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exhaust odor and dealer

Took my Ex into dealer to discuss exhaust Odor and discuss tsb to fix.
After about 1 hr of time and looking at my truck with service person and technician . The tech. To the awe of service person told me I might want to wait because Ford has extended exhaust tips so it is not sucked back under bumper and into truck. He has noticed this on 2014 new build dates. So I checked as dealer was getting a delivery of some sports and limited explorers .I did notice on sports the chrome tips seem to be longer or stick out on bumper further.
Has anyone been given any information on this? Or BS delay by dealer.

The Sport does have different exhaust tips but that is to make it look "Sportier". They have been different since the release of the Sport.

I KNEW IT! I always thought that was the issue! It makes sense!

It is actually quite simple. If the tips of the exhaust pipes do not extend past the bodywork then the vacuum of the car passing thru the air will suck the exhaust fumes back into the car. The same thing happens when you leave the back hatch open on a car while driving the vacuum sucks the fumes into the car. I looked at my car and the tips sit fwd of the lip of the bumper by almost an inch! With the rear AC system fresh air intake under the left rear of the car it is easy to see where the fumes are entering from.

So if the sport tips are longer to look sportier do the 2014 have the problem of exhaust odor inside of explorer. I agree with dr plastic it seems possible
All the explorers I saw coming off the transport at the dealer seemed to have longer tips both sports and xlt , limited this was only with the latest build date other 2014 at dealer did not have this

burning smell

I am having the same situation as many others with my 2011 Explorer. During hard acceleration there is a nasty burning smell in the cabin. Has Ford actually figured anything out yet?? I'm at the dealership right now getting my second blown speaker fixed and have the service guys yet again (was just here on September 16th) trying to figure out where the smell is coming from and they can't seem to find anything in their system other than the bulletin about the sulphur smell (which I found for them on this site)

So if the sport tips are longer to look sportier do the 2014 have the problem of exhaust odor inside of explorer. I agree with dr plastic it seems possible
All the explorers I saw coming off the transport at the dealer seemed to have longer tips both sports and xlt , limited this was only with the latest build date other 2014 at dealer did not have this
To my knowledge, there have been no posts about this issue from 2014 Explorer members. At least not yet.

Since this thread is discussing the same issue as the one that already exists, I will move this one there. It also has a post on the exhaust tips.

Peter

ok ill chime in now. I have a 2014 explorer sport (came from a 2013 limited) and yes i still get this smell upon hard acceleration, my kids even commented on it. So whatever the issue is, it still has not been resolved
Thank you for your input. Sorry it had to be due to that particular issue. Therefore I guess the OEM extended exhaust tips, which I assume you have, do not help.

Peter

Whether or not he has the extended tips will depend on the build date of the Explorer and when the change up was implemented.

We also have the smell on our 1 month old 2014 sport.

FYI, had our 14 explorer sport in for service yesterday. Mentioned the smell and how to reproduce it along with the 12-12-4 TSB for them to check. Came back that some of the 13's and all 14's already had this TSB change.

Can anyone confirm the above ?

FYI, had our 14 explorer sport in for service yesterday. Mentioned the smell and how to reproduce it along with the 12-12-4 TSB for them to check. Came back that some of the 13's and all 14's already had this TSB change.

Can anyone confirm the above ?

If there is a tsb that includes redesigned parts, then yes, once the tsb is released, all vehicles have the newer design built into the vehicle. Once a problem is realized and a "fix" has been found, it is incorporated from that point forward. This saves the manufacturer money by not having a dealer do it when it can be done at the factory.

If there is a tsb that includes redesigned parts, then yes, once the tsb is released, all vehicles have the newer design built into the vehicle. Once a problem is realized and a "fix" has been found, it is incorporated from that point forward. This saves the manufacturer money by not having a dealer do it when it can be done at the factory.
in looking at the recent posts, it looks like the "fix" isn't working.:(

Peter

Yep....fix not working. I can reproduce it 100% of the time with the rear climate on and moderate acceleration.

Yep....fix not working. I can reproduce it 100% of the time with the rear climate on and moderate acceleration.
Do you still get it with the rear climate OFF?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found out today the Ex has drain holes on the bottom front faces of the mufflers pointing towards the front of the car. They seem to drain any moisture or water that makes its way into the muffler. Only problem is they blow out a tiny stream of exhaust forward even at idle. Haven't been able to check how much blows out at higher rpm's yet. This puts an exhaust source a good foot or so forward of the rear bumper. Not sure if this is contributing to the smell but just putting it out there. The black spot is exhaust soot and water.
265b3ae3af0b6cc08d6632c9b25e82dc.jpg

Back