Bottom Door Edge Issue?? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bottom Door Edge Issue??

I have just noticed this today on my ruby red xsport as well. Glad someone has brought this up.
Should have taken pictures of what I did, but this was my solution. Buy some 3m clear scotchguard protection and tape it on to the affected areas.
You can find that stuff on ebay.
Here's one site for reference:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-x24-3M-S...Parts_Accessories&hash=item43be7b6963&vxp=mtr

Then I used a heat gun to make sure it stays secure to that spot.

I have already applied this on my headlights, front and rear bumper. Been on there for 6 months with no fading or peeling.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have just noticed this today on my ruby red xsport as well. Glad someone has brought this up.
Should have taken pictures of what I did, but this was my solution. Buy some 3m clear scotchguard protection and tape it on to the affected areas.
You can find that stuff on ebay.
Here's one site for reference:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-x24-3M-S...Parts_Accessories&hash=item43be7b6963&vxp=mtr

Then I used a heat gun to make sure it stays secure to that spot.

I have already applied this on my headlights, front and rear bumper. Been on there for 6 months with no fading or peeling.

I just bought something similar. Hope to get it soon.

You have a BMW? Love that bike. One of my favorites

Just noticed this the other day on my sport. My number of issues keeps growing. Body alignment on this thing is horrible. My 2 driver side doors sit fairly flush with the body almost protrude a millimeter or so. My 2 passenger doors sit sunken into the body a few millimeters not flush with the body. The lower plastic where the rear passenger door meets the right rear wheel fender flare has a large enough gap to slip a finger in there. It's not limited to mine either. I've seen several in parking lots with same gap.

I just bought something similar. Hope to get it soon.

You have a BMW? Love that bike. One of my favorites

yeah man, its great stuff. what size roll did you get? If you have leftovers, apply it to other places of your car as well. you wont be disappointed.

and yes, i have a bmw. Best motorcycle I have ever owned. Do you ride bikes as well? you cant beat the 3 yr warranty they supply as well.

btw, i put that 3m on my bike as well and its lasted great for over a year.

yeah man, its great stuff. what size roll did you get? If you have leftovers, apply it to other places of your car as well. you wont be disappointed.

and yes, i have a bmw. Best motorcycle I have ever owned. Do you ride bikes as well? you cant beat the 3 yr warranty they supply as well.

btw, i put that 3m on my bike as well and its lasted great for over a year.

The roll I bought is something like 48'x2.75". So should have left over. Hope it works because I went with a cheaper brand.

I do ride, just sold my K5 GSXR1000 (what a beast!). I have owned many, many sportbikes and never thought I'd say it but I might look into a Harley. :(

The roll I bought is something like 48'x2.75". So should have left over. Hope it works because I went with a cheaper brand.

I do ride, just sold my K5 GSXR1000 (what a beast!). I have owned many, many sportbikes and never thought I'd say it but I might look into a Harley. :(

It should work, wish I remembered the site I purchased mine from. Depending on your roll, there is no need to spray water and do all that jazz. just clean the surface up, and take your time applying it while moving out the bubbles. then take a heat just a slightly go over it to make sure it stays secure.

Thats a big transition from a sportbike to a harley? whats making you go the harley route?
my bro has the k5 gixxer 1000 as well, i must say its an awsome machine. It's just plain good at everything with a smooth powerband.
Not sure if you looked into other bikes that are similar to supersport, but I had a gen3 z1000, thing was a on steroids. Plus your not sacrificing the seating positon or comfort. Also test rode a ducati diavel, seating is comfy and the sound of that vtwin is amazing.

Would running boards help this at all?
I have seen a few that seem to cover the entire bottom below the door area with no noticeable gap and thought that that might be good to have, especially in winter.
...along with mud flaps...

I have the DeeZee running boards and just drove through a heavy rain and checked the doors right away. The running boards might have helped but it was still dirty and wet in there. I just installed mud flaps today so I'll see how that helps. Should have the clear tape by Monday to install. Once that's on I pretty much did all I could..

No matter how we protect it I noticed water runs down the outside of the doors and behind the plastic trim anyway. That does worry me a bit considering it will just sit there with no way to clean or dry that area. I guess there is no possible way to prevent everything. I just want it to last.

It should work, wish I remembered the site I purchased mine from. Depending on your roll, there is no need to spray water and do all that jazz. just clean the surface up, and take your time applying it while moving out the bubbles. then take a heat just a slightly go over it to make sure it stays secure.

Thats a big transition from a sportbike to a harley? whats making you go the harley route?
my bro has the k5 gixxer 1000 as well, i must say its an awsome machine. It's just plain good at everything with a smooth powerband.
Not sure if you looked into other bikes that are similar to supersport, but I had a gen3 z1000, thing was a on steroids. Plus your not sacrificing the seating positon or comfort. Also test rode a ducati diavel, seating is comfy and the sound of that vtwin is amazing.

Thanks for the info and sorry to everyone for the thread derail. I hope to find a bike over the winter. My biggest reason for the switch is I just want to enjoy my rides and possibly get my wife into it. I love sportbikes but sliding forward into the tank constantly was getting a little old considering lately I have been mainly commuting with the bike.

Claim Denied by Ford

Three of my doors have this issue. I took it to my dealer who took pictures and sent them to Ford. They claim it is due to dirt/debris and will not repair it. Seems like a real sweet design feature to me......

At least they are going to fix the paint bubbles under the edge of the hood.

The whole thing makes me a bit sad as I've owned many new Fords over the years.

I have not experienced the problem yet as I think my doors were not touching. I did get a bunch of dirt and debris behind the doors which peed me off. Anyway, I solved the issue for $8 with some weather stripping from Canadian Tire. it is white (just like my Explorer) and it looks factory. The weather stripping protects the paint on the doors and the seal is perfect now so no more huge amounts of dirt get in behind the bottoms of the doors.

Here is some photos of what I used and how it turned out:

photo4_zps46683a7a.jpg

photo5_zpsd5bb2048.jpg

photo2_zpsabdedab5.jpg

photo1_zps16c10925.jpg

Looks great. How long has it been on there? Just curious how it's holding up.

So far only a few days but it looks like it will stick around as its not budging and feels really secure.

Poor Customer Service RE: Paint

Hi all,

Great site and has come in handy for several issues including the infamous "buzzing A pillars".

My most enraging issue is that I noticed that in less than a year, all the paint has been stripped down to the bare metal along the bottom edge of both doors on the driver's side. (Been putting grease on it to prevent rust)

Dealer has been great but Ford Canada warranty has said that I damaged the paint!! by either opening the door over a curb and scraped the edges. Really Ford? Scraped both edges and the entire length of the doors? Next they said to do a tape test for adhesion which involves placing masking tape along the edge of the door, peeling it off and checking for paint on the tape (which there was). Ignoring that, Ford Canada then said it was caused by road debris and it was my fault because I didn't wash and wax the car enough!

Dealer suggested I call Ford Customer Service which I did. They said once the Warranty Dept has made a decision there was nothing they could do and there's nobody else who can reverse their decision.

Any advice please anyone??

Jim
2012 Explorer XLT

I am guessing you called the number that was in the owner’s manual for the warranty department? Sounds like you really need to push this up past someone that can really make a decision. I would go as far as making a treat that your local Chevy dealer can fix this really easy.. Hell it’s not like it’s that old…

Hi all,

Great site and has come in handy for several issues including the infamous "buzzing A pillars".

My most enraging issue is that I noticed that in less than a year, all the paint has been stripped down to the bare metal along the bottom edge of both doors on the driver's side. (Been putting grease on it to prevent rust)

Dealer has been great but Ford Canada warranty has said that I damaged the paint!! by either opening the door over a curb and scraped the edges. Really Ford? Scraped both edges and the entire length of the doors? Next they said to do a tape test for adhesion which involves placing masking tape along the edge of the door, peeling it off and checking for paint on the tape (which there was). Ignoring that, Ford Canada then said it was caused by road debris and it was my fault because I didn't wash and wax the car enough!

Dealer suggested I call Ford Customer Service which I did. They said once the Warranty Dept has made a decision there was nothing they could do and there's nobody else who can reverse their decision.

Jim
2012 Explorer XLT
Welcome to the Forum jim2012.:wavey:
I'm guessing that you are talking about the inside of the doors. With that in mind, I have moved your thread/post to this existing one on that topic.

The only other recourse I can think of is to send a PM (private message) to Bianca (FordServiceCA) who is a Ford rep that monitors this Forum for us in Canada. Perhaps she can open a case file on this matter. You can use this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=233337

She will need your VIN, odometer reading, full name, best daytime phone number, and dealer. Not saying much can be done but it won't hurt to check.
Good luck.

Peter

Thanks for moving my post. First forum ever so not really sure how things work!

Peter, thanks for the link to Bianca at Ford Customer Service. Can't believe there are so many with this same issue! Ford should just admit to the design flaw and do the repair with new paint and a rubber gasket. Pretty sure they can afford it.

Was looking at a Focus for a second car. Not so sure now...

Jim

Hi all,

Jim
2012 Explorer XLT

Hi Jim,

Please PM me your VIN and odometer reading; I want to look into options for you.

Bianca

I too discovered this summer that while I initially didn't have this issue, over the last 2+ years, the paint has worn off some. I fixed it with about 5 coats of touch up paint.

PeterK9 - perhaps we should rename this thread. "Ugh... did I find a new flaw" isn't very descriptive for others searching for this problem. Might I suggest "Paint rubbing off on bottom edges of doors." or something similar.

Well, got my response from Ford Customer Service. Apparently once Ford Warranty makes a decision there's no recourse or appeal process. Dealt with 3 Ford customer service reps including Bianca over a repair that in the end cost me $250 to a local body shop. Put some lithium grease over the repainted door edges to protect them for the winter. But it's all our fault for not washing our cars enough and letting the road grime rub our door edges down to the bare metal!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, got my response from Ford Customer Service. Apparently once Ford Warranty makes a decision there's no recourse or appeal process. Dealt with 3 Ford customer service reps including Bianca over a repair that in the end cost me $250 to a local body shop. Put some lithium grease over the repainted door edges to protect them for the winter. But it's all our fault for not washing our cars enough and letting the road grime rub our door edges down to the bare metal!!!
I don't know if I'd go the grease solution. It would tend to hold any dirt and grime that it came in contact with, not withstanding that it would also rub off on clothing. There are better solutions mentioned in this thread.

Peter

Back