Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 50 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
To my knowledge, there have been no posts about this issue from 2014 Explorer members. At least not yet.

Since this thread is discussing the same issue as the one that already exists, I will move this one there. It also has a post on the exhaust tips.

Peter

My 2014 has the burn smell. Going in to get it checked today. I am hoping they can reproduce it...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2014 has the burn smell. Going in to get it checked today. I am hoping they can reproduce it...

What was the verdict ? Also the smell really can't be reproduced (in my experience) unless they actually drive it. Best way to do it is to accelerate onto the highway with the rear climate control on A/C and High.

I've just picked up my 2014 limited (manufacture date June 2013) and I confirm it has the burnt smell also when I accelerate to pass a car...I understand it's still in its break-in period but Is it even worth brigning it in for a check?

I've just picked up my 2014 limited (manufacture date June 2013) and I confirm it has the burnt smell also when I accelerate to pass a car...I understand it's still in its break-in period but Is it even worth brigning it in for a check?

Its not break in. An no not worth bringing in yet. They don't have the new fix for the 2014's. Last chat with regional I had yesterday is at least 20-30 days (if not more).

So here is what they told me was the reason for the odor. They took it in and looked underneath and told me I had a buildup on my muffler. They said Ford sometimes puts an undercoating on for shipping. He said it burns off after awhile but mine had an excessive amount that was burning off on the muffler and they wiped as much of it off as they could for now. I have to continue to drive and let it burn off. I am still smelling it, but I will update here by end of next week on how the odor is.

I have a 2013 Ford Edge and it is doing the same thing,When passing or getting on the freeway it gets what smells to me is exhaust,now I have a little over 5000 miles on it and it has done it since new,took it to my dealer and was told they NEVER heard of this with any Ford,so me and there head mechanic took it for a ride and he DID smell it,so they took it in back and did my service and looked at the exhaust,they found some aluminum stickers on the exhaust,3 of them and told me it was fixed,I left the dealer and NO its not fixed,they found no service bulletins or recalls on it,so what to do next?We went on vacation and took the Edge and at one time the smell was so bad me and my wife got sick to our stomachs and headaches.Im going to call my dealer tomorrow {Monday} and let them know the smell is still there.Anyone have any suggestions for me to tell them? Remember I have the Edge but after reading on this forum my 2013 Edge is doing the same thing as the explorer.Should I show them this forum? It only does it under acceleration about 3/4 pedal or more. By the way on my Edge the smell comes in with the windows open or closed,vents off or on. Thanks for the help Ken

So here is what they told me was the reason for the odor. They took it in and looked underneath and told me I had a buildup on my muffler. They said Ford sometimes puts an undercoating on for shipping. He said it burns off after awhile but mine had an excessive amount that was burning off on the muffler and they wiped as much of it off as they could for now. I have to continue to drive and let it burn off. I am still smelling it, but I will update here by end of next week on how the odor is.

That really sounds like a complete line of BS (get her out the door). The odor isn't going to go away on you....sorry.

Update, I have returned to the Dealer's service department a couple more times (for other items and service). And each time I have them check for possible updates. The service department had no update from Ford Engineers for any additional TSBs or ideas to correct the issue of the smell. It has been a year now and no solution. A call to Regional Service Manager and he had me take the Ex back to service department for an additional check of the issue (confirmed again). The Regional Service Manager reported that Ford engineers are working on the issue, be patient, but have no time frame for a solution. My wife and I are tired of the issue, it makes traveling unpleasant, so we have started looking for a replacement vehicle.

Cabin Odor under aggressive accelleration

To All Ford owners with the toxic gases in the cabin:

This is all BS. I have a 2013 XSport with 16k miles on it and the smell has existed since day one. The reason this is BS is because if you read this thread this has been an issue since they released this model (as well as the Edge) in 2011. That being said...no recall...in the name of profits and the inability to resolve the issue...THIS IS INTENTIONAL POISONING. Dealers techs giving the run-a-round and ignorant-to-the-issue response. Or better yet...blaming the customer or suggesting not to turn on the recirculation, or its "burn-off" during break-in period, or muffler build up, etc. Enough is enough. I am contacting my wife's brother tomorrow who is an attorney.

Feel free to contact me at ----vwith your information and I will compile this list for the attorneys.

THIS IS INTENTIONAL POISONING.

As frustrating as this is for many people, this statement is completely not true. Three different people have put CO2 detectors in their car and not one of them has registered anything. People are not getting poisoned. There is a smell coming from somewhere in the exhaust area however the exhaust itself is not entering the car.

This is all BS. I have a 2013 XSport with 16k miles on it and the smell has existed since day one. The reason this is BS is because if you read this thread this has been an issue since they released this model (as well as the Edge) in 2011. That being said...no recall...in the name of profits and the inability to resolve the issue...THIS IS INTENTIONAL POISONING. Dealers techs giving the run-a-round and ignorant-to-the-issue response. Or better yet...blaming the customer or suggesting not to turn on the recirculation, or its "burn-off" during break-in period, or muffler build up, etc. Enough is enough. I am contacting my wife's brother tomorrow who is an attorney.

Feel free to contact me at skil70@yahoo.com with your information and I will compile this list for the attorneys.

Sincerely,
Sean Kilcoin
skil70@yahoo.com
I agree that some of the reasons given for the smell are inaccurate. I assume that in order to issue a recall notice that a bona fide solution must have been found. To date that does not seem to be the case as many that have had the so called 'fix' done (TSB12-12-4) have reported that it made little or no difference. There also has been no proof that anyone is being intentionally poisoned, as you put it, by this smell. A member installed a CO2 detector in his vehicle and it didn't register anything. That isn't to say that exposure to a high level of this 'smell' won't affect some people as it obviously has according to some posts.
The other issue is that not all 5th generation Explorers driven under the same circumstances seem to be affected by this issue. That in itself could make it the exact cause difficult to pinpoint.
Even in this thread, members report the smell seems to come from different locations. Is the a problem with this model? Definitely. Does the manufacturer have a 100% solution? It would appear that the answer is NO.

Peter

So here is what I got from the dealer. Will be getting worked on tomorrow. Not sure if it will fix it or reduce the smell. I will post back later.

EXPLORERPIC_zps695215f2.jpg
/QUOTE]See also post #509 for more detailed pics.

Peter

As frustrating as this is for many people, this statement is completely not true. Three different people have put CO2 detectors in their car and not one of them has registered anything. People are not getting poisoned. There is a smell coming from somewhere in the exhaust area however the exhaust itself is not entering the car.

Just an FYI - I successfully won my lemon law case againt ford last March and got rid of my Explorer. I DID register low levels of CO when utilizing a CO meter - around 30-40ppm.

Not sure what meter others have used - but a household CO detector from Lowe's or Home Depot isn't going to cut it...

I work in commercial HVAC - So I have one of these...

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/usen/ele...easurement-testers/fluke-co-220.htm?PID=56159

Feel free to contact me at skil70@yahoo.com with your information and I will compile this list for the attorneys.

Sincerely,
Sean Kilcoin
skil70@yahoo.com

Good for You, Go for it. I hope it could be elevated to a class action tort.
It's about time Ford gets serious about fixing this problem. If it's poisonous or not I'm not sure, but it can't be good for you......best of luck, Plum

Just an FYI - I successfully won my lemon law case againt ford last March and got rid of my Explorer. I DID register low levels of CO when utilizing a CO meter - around 30-40ppm.

Not sure what meter others have used - but a household CO detector from Lowe's or Home Depot isn't going to cut it...

I work in commercial HVAC - So I have one of these...

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/usen/ele...easurement-testers/fluke-co-220.htm?PID=56159

Considering the outdoor air we breathe has 300-400ppm of co2, 30-40ppm seems like nothing. Reading co2 websites, they have noted that anything over 1,000ppm of co2 indoors is the limit.

Considering the outdoor air we breathe has 300-400ppm of co2, 30-40ppm seems like nothing. Reading co2 websites, they have noted that anything over 1,000ppm of co2 indoors is the limit.

First off let's learn the difference between CO2 and CO.

http://www.critical-environment.com/blog/carbon-monoxide-co-versus-carbon-dioxide-co2/

As for what is deemed "safe" OSHA says 50ppm

The World Health Organization says...

100 mg/m3 (87.1 ppm) for 15 minutes

60 mg/m3 (52.3 ppm) for 30 minutes

30 mg/m3 (26.1 ppm) for 1 hour

10 mg/m3 (8.7 ppm) for 8 hours.

That is a great idea,Im going to get a CO tester,I know in my Edge is gets bad enough that it made me and my wife sick and headaches.

First off let's learn the difference between CO2 and CO.

http://www.critical-environment.com/blog/carbon-monoxide-co-versus-carbon-dioxide-co2/

As for what is deemed "safe" OSHA says 50ppm

The World Health Organization says...

100 mg/m3 (87.1 ppm) for 15 minutes

60 mg/m3 (52.3 ppm) for 30 minutes

30 mg/m3 (26.1 ppm) for 1 hour

10 mg/m3 (8.7 ppm) for 8 hours.

My bad, I've been talking about co2 the whole time and didn't pick up that you said CO. I do know the difference, just didn't catch that.

See also post #509 for more detailed pics.

Peter

So I will say this ... The smell has been reduced by almost 95%. I still get a tiny faint odor but not like before. Clearly it was not a complete fix but enough to make me comfortable again with the family in the truck. Many people have tested for CO2 and have found none. I have not tested it for such things but like I said .. the odor has subsided substantially .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just because it's not registering CO2 doesn't mean some other noxious gas isn't being cooked off the exhaust and being drawn into the cabin.

Back