Highest mileage 2006-10 Explorer/Mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Highest mileage 2006-10 Explorer/Mountaineer

FStephenMasek

Reaction score
City, State
Mission Viejo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer V8 RWD
My 2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer with the V8, RWD, and the towing package now has 161,262 miles on it. How many miles on your 2006 - 10 Explorer or Mountaineer?

By the way, the overall fuel mileage, based on the EVIC total gallons used counter, is 17.3 vs the (revised) EPA ratings of 13/19.

I'm considering other vehicles, but thus far like the Explorer better than any of them.

If I keep it, I will have the transmission redone before it fails. It is already slightly harsh on 2 to 1 downshifts. The software fix can not correct the leaking valve body, but I've found two companies making kits to fix that once and for all:
http://www.sonnax.com/product-lines/transmission/parts/3846
http://www.superiortransmission.com/Product_Page.cfm?ID=211

The Durango RT is a good value, but the cargo area is no more useful to me than that of the smaller Grand Cherokee.
The 4Runner has a solid rear axle, hard spot in the seat which hurts when I sit in one, and just a 6.1" navigation screen (I've got a 7" Pioneer in my Explorer).
The cargo width of the Explorer works well for my needs, and it is wider than the cargo area of the new SUVs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer with the V8, RWD, and the towing package now has 161,262 miles on it. How many miles on your 2006 - 10 Explorer or Mountaineer?

By the way, the overall fuel mileage, based on the EVIC total gallons used counter, is 17.3 vs the (revised) EPA ratings of 13/19.

I'm considering other vehicles, but thus far like the Explorer better than any of them.

If I keep it, I will have the transmission redone before it fails. It is already slightly harsh on 2 to 1 downshifts. The software fix can not correct the leaking valve body, but I've found two companies making kits to fix that once and for all:
http://www.sonnax.com/product-lines/transmission/parts/3846
http://www.superiortransmission.com/Product_Page.cfm?ID=211

The entire upper Durango interior is black.
The 4Runner has a solid rear axle and just a 6.1" navigation screen (I've got a 7" Pioneer in my Explorer).
The Santa Fe is front-wheel drive based, as is the new Explorer, something I just do not want.
The cargo width of the Explorer works well for my needs, and it is wider than the cargo area of the new SUVs.

My '06 V8 has around 118K miles on it. Around town it get's about 18 mpg. I have seen it as high as 22 mpg on the interstate.

I believe the computer is accurate because the other day it said I had used 17 gallons and after I filled it up, the pump was in agreement within half a gallon.

The best my '96 5 liter got was 19 mpg on the interstate and about 13 mpg around town.

Yeah too bad Ford reuined the new Explorer. I mean it looks OK and all but only if they introduced it as something different.

Yep, Toyota, much to their credit, is still making the 4Runner, but Ford stuck the Explorer name on a bloated mini-van-like thing with front wheel drive. Yuck!

There is hope. Since Ford wants to get multiple vehicles from each "platform," the upcoming new Mustang platform might be ideal for a new rear wheel drive, V8-powered SUV. A real sleeper, and excellent for utility, would be to put it under the new Transit Connect body.

165k on 06 v8

I've driven a previous generation Transit with a manual transmission in Europe. A stick might be OK in Tennessee, but would be punishment in southern California traffic.

The 2014 Connect has a twist-beam rear axle. My 1984 Pontiac Sunbird turbo had a twist-beam rear axle, and it handled well and did not ride rough like a solid axle vehicle.

I found 2014 Connect pricing on the AOL autos site yesterday. Apparently, the 1.6 is not available in the titanium long wheelbase model. A Titanium long wheelbase wagon has an invoice price of just $28,828 with the 17" wheels, tow package, overhead console, navigation, and remote start.

103k on my 06 EB V8 and it runs like new. Original owner and still love the truck!

Just shy of 100k miles on a 2006 V8 Explorer. Purchased in 2011 at 80k miles. I had been getting 11mpg combined city/highway. After new plugs and coils, that's jumped up to 17mpg. Planning on keeping this for a long time.

Stephen -

have you done any service to your tranny ?
I just went over 166k on my 06 v8 4 wd. It downshifts hard on 2-1 occasionally, but it's been doing it since always.
I think I will keep mine for a lot longer. There is no real replacement at this point for a mid size suv on frame with 7k towing capacity.
The new Tahoe 2015 looks interesting thou.

120k on my '06. It just had its 4th anniversary with me a week ago. :D

I was averaging about 18.5 MPG with the stock tires, but ever since I got the Grabber AT2s I've been averaging about 16 MPG. My highest tank average ever is 22.8 MPG on the highway.

I've also had the jerky transmission problems at low speeds ever since I got it. It hasn't gotten any worse, so that's good.

126,x.. on my 06 V6. Everything stock gets 19-20 mpgs. Need to change my plugs and wires etc. V6's don't have the spark plug problems like the V8's do right?

I have a 2006 v6 with 93k and I get 13 mpg yes I said 13 mpg

You must drive like a grandpa.
car_animated.gif

I WISH I was getting 13MPG!​

Haha nope it's because of my lift and tires

Lots of camping trips between Florida, Michigan and Texas. Shooting for 250K.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ruger

what engine ?

Back