3rd Gen washer pump out, both wipers work. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Gen washer pump out, both wipers work.

MC05XLS

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, Washington, USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLS V6 2WD
Right before I loaded my Ex on a U-Haul trailer, my washer pump quit. It's not my stalk switches as when I push the wash mode for front or rear, the wipers will work, but nothing comes out. I tried it with the engine off, and I can't hear the pump running. I can't find a listing for a fuse or relay anywhere in the manual, and Google, Bing, Ask, and Yahoo are not finding what I need. Searching thru here, I see it's a problem on 2nd Gen, but I must be a rare issue. I just moved into an apartment in Seattle (where despite popular belief it doesn't rain all the time, year round.) and I'm getting tired of going to the gas station on my way to work to clean the crap off my windshield.

HELP!!!

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Find the washer pump and repalce it. They do fail and they are usually cheap. IF you are able have someone push the washer switch while you check for voltage at the connector. if voltage is there its a bad pump.

Even tho I had no signs it was going out before hand? It never got weak or made any unusual sounds, so I can't figure an '05 would already have a pump crap out. There's nothing else it could be?

Mine was out on my '02 when I bought it in February. I got the part at the dealer. I think it was around $20. It took me about 20 minutes to change it out. It's located near the bottom of the reservoir towards the front of the vehicle. There are 2 hoses that are just pushed on and an electrical connection. The pump is just pushed into the reservoir. All parts required where included. I think it even came with instructions. Here is a diagram. #8 is the pump, #9 is the pump seal:

Dead Link Removed

Hope this helps out!

I think I can make this work. Thanks!

With the truck safely in park and the wheels chocked, get under the front of the truck and look up on the passenger side, near radiator support. You will see the washer resevoir bottle. At the very bottom of the bottle, the front of it (left corner if looking at it directly from front), you will see the washer pump (bronzed metal casing w/ harness attached).

With a small hammer, tap the outer casing of the pump a few times - hard enough, but not extremely hard to dent or damage. After tapping a few times, get back up, get in truck and see if your washer squirters will now squirt fluid...

98% of the time, they will start working again. Sometimes these little pumps crap out if not used OR if one has let the resevoir go dry. A few swift taps with a hammer on their outer casing usually jars the impeller loose so it will spin up again.

If you cannot get it to jar loose (or squirt fluid) after taps, remove the pump from the bottle and see if you can spin the impeller by hand. If you cannot spin it (seized), then most likely, you will need a new unit. Usually Pep Boys and/or any other parts stores stock them - pretty common part and lots are universal between vehicles anyway.

windshield washer pump

I used the method of "tapping" on the pump housing!Took 2 min ,and they are working again!THANKS!

Anyone know of any checks or repairs for the REAR windshield washer? Mine stopped a couple of years ago... and I forgot about it. The Mrs remind me.. now that we are getting it fixed. :)

Fixed!

So in August, I managed to buy a house.. with a nice big 2 car garage. :)
Picked up a pump from the AutoZone up the street, and it took me all of 15 minutes to do the swap. It's so nice to just hit the button and get the road grime off my windscreen. :D

With the truck safely in park and the wheels chocked, get under the front of the truck and look up on the passenger side, near radiator support. You will see the washer resevoir bottle. At the very bottom of the bottle, the front of it (left corner if looking at it directly from front), you will see the washer pump (bronzed metal casing w/ harness attached).

With a small hammer, tap the outer casing of the pump a few times - hard enough, but not extremely hard to dent or damage. After tapping a few times, get back up, get in truck and see if your washer squirters will now squirt fluid...

98% of the time, they will start working again. Sometimes these little pumps crap out if not used OR if one has let the resevoir go dry. A few swift taps with a hammer on their outer casing usually jars the impeller loose so it will spin up again.

If you cannot get it to jar loose (or squirt fluid) after taps, remove the pump from the bottle and see if you can spin the impeller by hand. If you cannot spin it (seized), then most likely, you will need a new unit. Usually Pep Boys and/or any other parts stores stock them - pretty common part and lots are universal between vehicles anyway.

I know is this is an old thread but Thank you for the info as it just saved my day

THANKS! I have a running list of things to fix on my 03 Explorer. I'm going to try this once I get home. Is the same pump for the front windshield also used for the rear?

THANKS! I have a running list of things to fix on my 03 Explorer. I'm going to try this once I get home. Is the same pump for the front windshield also used for the rear?
Yep. It has a backwards. Two relays control which side is hot and which is ground. Spin one way for the front...other way for the rear.

A 7 minute search in the forum and 5 minutes in the garage saved me precious time and money. Thank you kindly, folks!

Back