Removable air shocks for towing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removable air shocks for towing?

I have a 1991 explorer with suspension tuned for flex and off road comfort. It has worked great for long camping trips and rough trails from California to Colorado. With the family continuing to grow we recently bought a tent trailer. It weighs under 2000 lbs and tows easily. However I have Fox shocks in the rear that are tuned on the soft side. I like the way it drives without a trailer but with the added 200lbs? of tongue weight it sags the rear to far. I am thinking about adding air shocks or air bags to the rear to help out when towing. I also will need them to be removable so I can still get good flex on the trails. Anyone done this? Pictures? Any reason I shouldn't? Yes I have heard of weight distributing hitches but even with that I think the rear suspension is going to be just too soft.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Gabriel makes a coilover shock for towing which works out great for cargo load and trailering and is an easy shock swap for about $100 or less for the pair..;)

Swapping shock probably isn't a big deal when you are doing one or the other. But what about when you take the popup somewhere, set up camp, then want to do some off-roading? You probably don't want to do the swap on-site, right?

That's why the WDH should at least be a consideration to you. I would think any Explorer, regardless of axle ratio and drivetrain cooling, can handle 2000 lbs. But with your mods, I can see how it could be an issue.

I towed a 3000 lbs popup behind Chrysler minivans for 7 seasons, using the larger of 2 common LD WDH kits, which are rated by tongue weight. I used the 400 lb rated Reese 400 Single Bar WDH, since my TW was 375lb. But for you, I would recommend the Reese "Mini-350" WDH. It also has the advantage of integrated trailer sway control.

The main advantage of a WDH is that you are literally pushing weight forward onto the front wheels, to let them help with the load. With probably less than 250 lbs TW, this should make for a great towing experience. Then when you unhitch, you are ready to hit the trails.

Why not run Sensatrac load adjust, they're coil overs and I get good flex with them.

Why not run Sensatrac load adjust, they're coil overs and I get good flex with them.
Those would work for towing and be fine for flex but in the desert at higher speeds it would make the rear buck around to much. I would have to make them removable also.

Those would work for towing and be fine for flex but in the desert at higher speeds it would make the rear buck around to much. I would have to make them removable also.

Buck around too much?

I've noticed they firmed up the ride quite a bit and handle great at speed.
Then again, I haven't driven in a desert. I've driven on gravel..? Lol.

Back