Problems with Gas Fill | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problems with Gas Fill

Oh boy, I too have an '11 LTD which has had this gas filling problem for the last 3 fill ups. Looks like I'm making an appt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had the same issues with our 2013 Explorer. Had my wife mention the spider issue to the service manager when she dropped it off. He looked at her sideways.

When she went to pick it up he leapt out from behind the counter to shake her hand. Said the evap tank was full of spider webs!

Wanted to know how she knew as he had never heard of this. She told him we are car enthusiast and found it here.

Those gas lovin' spiders sure are trouble makers!!

Wow what a coincidence, this early gas fill cutoff problem happened to the last two times I filled up. First time I figured it was the pump, but after the second time I figure something might be up with the truck. Now you guys got me worried it might be eight legged web spinners!

My wife's 2012 Limited just started doing the same thing. I thought she was crazy at first, until we went to refuel. Turns out, she was correct. Now, I have to deal with my local dealer again......just can't win!!!:(

Wow what a coincidence, this early gas fill cutoff problem happened to the last two times I filled up. First time I figured it was the pump, but after the second time I figure something might be up with the truck. Now you guys got me worried it might be eight legged web spinners!

Follow-up: No problem at my last fill-up.

To keep this going, my wife said the last 3 times she tried to fill the truck up it keeps shutting off about 1/2 a tank and will not stop clicking. We will be taking it in also, really hope something isn't full of spiders, this is crazy. Raid makes a perimeter defense spray for your house but what about your cars ?

Fix, gas pump clicking off early, spider webs clogging vent tube

If you have a hard time filling your 2011 and up explorer because the gas pump keeps clicking off early or cannot fill the tank past 3/4. You may have been invaded by Yellow Sac Spiders, they will build a nest or web inside the evap vent tube that allows air to escape the gas tank when fueling. If this tube is clogged air cannot escape and the pump will think the tank is full and click off. This is a very easy fix, and have been told by a tech that it is happening very often with many types of cars on the road now.
explorerfix001_zpsf14ea059.jpg
first locate the evap cannister.
IMG_08141_zps5776991d.jpg
this is under the passenger side rear door
explorerfix003_zps2f23235e.jpg
this is the vent tube coming out of the canister
explorerfix004_zps508cdd4e.jpg
pull the hose out and try to blow through this tube, it is just a vent. If you cannot blow through this easy it is clogged and is your problem.
explorerfix006_zpsdd0d474e.jpg
this is the other end of the hose above the rear suspension. it is just held into the frame with a grommet.
explorerfix008_zpsb9c4bd11.jpg
pull out the grommet and you will find the diffuser end, make sure this is clear of spiders and webs, i am trying to find a sock product to install over this to prevent this from happening again.
explorerfix009_zps9f008bce.jpg
explorerfix011_zpse5609005.jpg
now with this end removed blow through the pipe again untill you can blow without a problem, can also use an air compressor to remove the blockage. reinstall the pipes and the grommet and go get gas to test your fix!

Sock product? How about a Coleman lantern mantle? Would it fit?

51SUmvjPYxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If you have a hard time filling your 2011 and up explorer because the gas pump keeps clicking off early or cannot fill the tank past 3/4. You may have been invaded by spiders. Spiders will build a nest or web inside the evap vent tube that allows air to escape the gas tank when fueling. If this tube is clogged air cannot escape and the pump will think the tank is full and click off. This is a very easy fix, and have been told by a tech that it is happening very often with many types of cars on the road now.
I'm just curious why you didn't post this in the thread you visited that dealt with this problem instead of starting a new one.:dunno:
That way it would have been easier to read about the problem and a possible solution for it all in one place.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332876&highlight=spider

Peter

When someone does a goggle search for explorers and spiders this fix will show up much higher in a general search then paging through people just taking their trucks to the dealer to have them fix it. This was also linked at the end of that thread to alert others that had posted in that thread that there was a new response.

Jeff-absolutely excellant post....To bad Ford can't do as well. Thanks for the post and pay no attention to anyone criticizing where you decided to post this, it's good, real good...best regards Plum

This happens on multiple vehicle lines, not just Fords...

Jeff-absolutely excellant post....To bad Ford can't do as well. Thanks for the post and pay no attention to anyone criticizing where you decided to post this, it's good, real good...best regards Plum
There was no criticism intended or given. A simple question was asked and answered and the explanation made sense. Thanks for the pics jeff59rt1.

Peter

Gas Pump Stoppage When Filling Up

Has anyone had any issues with gas pumps stopping every 10-15 seconds when trying to fill up? Last 4 fill ups have been quite difficult. Pump takes forever (different gas stations) and I must reset the nozzle constantly. Curious if anyone has had this issue and if so, what the fix was. Definitely looks like something is wrong, plus there's a significant odor of gas that is more than normal when pumping.

Has anyone had any issues with gas pumps stopping every 10-15 seconds when trying to fill up? Last 4 fill ups have been quite difficult. Pump takes forever (different gas stations) and I must reset the nozzle constantly. Curious if anyone has had this issue and if so, what the fix was. Definitely looks like something is wrong, plus there's a significant odor of gas that is more than normal when pumping.

There was a thread about the 2011's and a problem where spiders could actually get in and make a web that would affect filling up...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376036&highlight=gas+spider

Everyone thought it was a hoax, till it turned out to be true..

As per my PM to you, I have moved your post to this thread on a similar issue.

Peter

Just fixed my dads 2012 ford focus, with the no cap filler system. Same type of system same problem, canister vent was clogged with spider webs and this time two spiders fell out of the tube as I removed it. Our explorer has been fine this year and I used the Coleman lantern sock trick on ours and just installed it on his
Placed the sock over the vent then used a zip Ty to secure it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back