Torque Steer Severe Today | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque Steer Severe Today

My other car is a 1993 Saab 900 Turbo. Let me tell you about torque steer ... :D:D

My 9-3 will provide a nice example as well!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

'14 Sport Torque Steer

I've been looking for some discussions of torque steer on stock 5th gen sports (without luck), specifically a 2014 w/ 401A (not that that makes a difference).

This is the first vehicle I've owned that doesn't have a symmetrical drive train, so I've never really experience torque steer before, but I am quite taken aback by exactly how bad it is.

If I hold it in 2nd at about 3.5k rpm to spin up the turbos then floor it, I can get a 20-30 degree rotation of the steering wheel in the clockwise direction. It may be more, but I have at least try and stay on the road ;)

Anyway, with only 1000 miles on the car, I'm still surprised that a $50k 2014 vehicle is still engineered with such a obvious flaw.

So, I guess what I'm looking to discuss is a) does any one else get the same results, and b) has anyone else found this unsatisfactory if they do?

I've been looking for some discussions of torque steer on stock 5th gen sports (without luck), specifically a 2014 w/ 401A (not that that makes a difference).

This is the first vehicle I've owned that doesn't have a symmetrical drive train, so I've never really experience torque steer before, but I am quite taken aback by exactly how bad it is.

If I hold it in 2nd at about 3.5k rpm to spin up the turbos then floor it, I can get a 20-30 degree rotation of the steering wheel in the clockwise direction. It may be more, but I have at least try and stay on the road ;)

Anyway, with only 1000 miles on the car, I'm still surprised that a $50k 2014 vehicle is still engineered with such a obvious flaw.

So, I guess what I'm looking to discuss is a) does any one else get the same results, and b) has anyone else found this unsatisfactory if they do?
As per my PM, I have moved your post to this existing thread on the same issue.

Peter

Torque steer is probably my only complaint with my Explorer. If you're not prepared for it, it can be dangerous.

As per my PM, I have moved your post to this existing thread on the same issue.

Peter

I had found this thread, but I had wanted to separate out the sports as they will suffer from this the most because of the increased torque produced. No big deal.

I was having a similar issue. The dealer is replacing the restraint control module...

I always assumed that was code for "me". :D

I've been known to have problems with my "restraint control" from time to time.....

You know, it's too bad that Ford didn't apply technology from the Focus and use the electric power steering to eliminate any torque steer.

From Car&Driver:
"In between is electric power assist, which is the heart of the car’s torque-steer-compensation system. When the system senses an imbalance of torque to the front wheels, it reduces the steering assist in the direction the steering wheel would normally be yanked"

Just lets me know when the turbos kick in!!!

You're not going to send 365hp through the front wheels without it. Just ask Oldsmobile with the Toronado... Oh wait, we can't...

Anyway, its natural with soo much horsepower...

I just wonder with such a sophisticated AWD system, why cant more power be sent to the rear wheels when the driver input is WOT or close to it.

The SPORT AWD tuning is different from the other Explorers but I think it could be a little more RWD biased during heavy acceleration.

Even the 3.7L Interceptor Utility can rip the wheel from your hands if your not holding on.

Just lets me know when the turbos kick in!!!

You're not going to send 365hp through the front wheels without it. Just ask Oldsmobile with the Toronado... Oh wait, we can't...

Anyway, its natural with soo much horsepower...

The HP isn't the issue, it's the torque. ;)

The front-bias in torque delivery can be a bit disconcerting to people who aren't used to driving powerful FWD cars. I come from multiple Saabs which were notorious for torque steer, so the Ex Sport feels fairly tame by comparison. :)

As mentioned before, what really sucks is that the Ford AWD system isn't sophisticated to intelligently route the requisite amount of power to the rear wheels to compensate. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall having this issue in any of the other AWD cars I've driven/owned (Audi, Subaru, Infinity). Stop on the 'go' pedal, MAYBE a little chirp, and then clean, predictable power delivery. The 'X' isn't as bad as my FWD Saab Aero was; it really doesn't bother me that much, but in the hands of someone who isn't familiar with it.... yikes.

The HP isn't the issue, it's the torque. ;)

The front-bias in torque delivery can be a bit disconcerting to people who aren't used to driving powerful FWD cars. I come from multiple Saabs which were notorious for torque steer, so the Ex Sport feels fairly tame by comparison. :)

You are correct... The 350 ft-lbs make their presence felt! I kinda wish they would bias more to the rear during a hard launch, but not sure the driveline could handle it... The rear differential and half shafts look a little "puny" (aka smallish)...

You are correct... The 350 ft-lbs make their presence felt! I kinda wish they would bias more to the rear during a hard launch, but not sure the driveline could handle it... The rear differential and half shafts look a little "puny" (aka smallish)...
On my Limited, if I do a very quick start, most of the power goes to the rear wheels according to the display. It is brief though.

Peter

The main problem is that this is a front wheel drive vehicle (Trans axle, not transmission/transfer case). The sport is at the limit of what they can do with this setup. Ford has already added additional cooling, thicker fluid and played with the electronics just to make it survive the HP/Torque the sport produces. If you want more rear bias, which does make sense, you'll need to stick the engine in with the crank facing to the back instead of at the front wheels. Look at the F-150's, in that application this motor produces more power because the drivetrain is able to handle it. It kind of makes me nervous seeing the tuners and such that folks are installing. I have no doubt the engine can produce way over 400HP, its the transaxle that's the limiting factor.

Sudden lane change torque steer

I have noticed torque steer with this vehichle on many occasions but yesterday, clear roads 82 degrees, 25 mph 3/4 throttle acceleration my 2wd Explorer 37,000 miles severely jerked to the left via instaneous heavy torque steer and put me half way into the lane to my left.

Scared the crap out of me. Fortunately the lane was empty. Thank god it wasn't my wife driving it.

This is absurd and dangerous. Anyone that attempts to explain this due to driver error would be mistaken so don't waste your time.

I am now shopping for a different vehicle. This thing is dangerous.

I have noticed torque steer with this vehichle on many occasions but yesterday, clear roads 82 degrees, 25 mph 3/4 throttle acceleration my 2wd Explorer 37,000 miles severely jerked to the left via instaneous heavy torque steer and put me half way into the lane to my left.

Scared the crap out of me. Fortunately the lane was empty. Thank god it wasn't my wife driving it.

This is absurd and dangerous. Anyone that attempts to explain this due to driver error would be mistaken so don't waste your time.

I am now shopping for a different vehicle. This thing is dangerous.

I'd recommend going to the dealer and getting your PCM or BCM reflashed because I had no issues after having that done. The Explorer handles way better than anything I have ever driven and it is so nimble. Even on WOT, little to no torque steer now.

Thanks for your comment 1995E, I will take your advice to re flash the firmware because I otherwise really like the truck.

Just hold on!

I have a 15' Sport. I'm not sure if anything was done to reduce the issue this late in the game, so mine may be less. I certainly notice it and the first few times it happened, it scared the @#$% out of me, but it was my doing. Cranking it into a turn from a stop sign, you'll feel the wheel pulling quite hard. If you don't have a hold of it, it will find its own path. Now that I've got used to it. I haven't changed my foot, I just hold on tighter and don't let it run away on me. I may be the odd man out, but I actually like it. Its an exciting reminder of how much torque this beast actually has.

As someone else mentioned, if you look at the AWD screen when accelerating quickly, you'll see it tell you that its heavily biased to the rear, but that doesn't last long. Torque seems to be limited in 1st. 2nd on the other hand starts to release the beast. This may also be due to some turbo lag. Not convinced its related to the turbo though. If you rev up in 1st, before launching, its still doesn't give the kick you get once you hit 2nd.

universal joints ..... one axis of my ujoints were completely frozen they were snaping the hub spindles and grinding when active before i replaced them and went to lockers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

most disappointing aspect of my 2015 explo sport

I knew the explo was basically a FWD with the RWD tacked on, and I test drove a Sport before buying. I've also owned and driven many powerful FWD cars in the past, so I'm familiar with torque steer. My wife drives a 2014 Audi S5 Quattro, so I have a pretty decent benchmark for (rather) high output engines combined with AWD. The Audi is seamless in any drive mode, at any reasonable throttle input, at any speed. As an aside, launch mode is awesome. But I digress . . .

IMHO, the explo sport does have more of an issue than it should with torque steer. Especially for a vehicle with what appears to be a pretty decent AWD hardware/firmeware programming capability and a "Sport" designation. Day to day driving is no issue, but the torque steer unecessarily intrudes on the sporting driving experience.

Driving the Sport in certain AWD modes while using the paddle shifters in unauthorized ways, on unauthorized road surfaces, proves that Ford could have tamed the torque steer beast simply by providing a "Sport" mode biased more heavily toward the rear while leaving ESC enabled (but without curve control, please). Observation of the drivetrain power allocation display confirms this driving impression. DISCLAIMER - I'm not recommending or advocating use of the Explorer in any way other than as is stated in the owners manual. Using the paddle shifters and drive modes in unauthorized ways is dangerous, possibly deadly to you and others, and you risk destroying or significantly increasing the wear on the drivetrain components.

At least I have a viable 'workaround' with the unauthorized use of the AWD modes and paddles, but I'd pay real money if someone could come up with a way to upload a 'tune' to the drivetrain like we can do for the engine.

Anyway, I'm still happy with the explo. I went in with my eyes open regarding the torque steer characteristics. Now if I can just make certain that the front bumper panel is not going to keep popping out under the driver's side headlight. . . .

rgds, Fred

Back