Hokie's looking for a Ford DD/light tow rig | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hokie's looking for a Ford DD/light tow rig

Check out post #2 in the following thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391037

The earlier 4.6 had issues with bad cooling of the heads. There is an aftermarket kit to help the issue but if the damage is done you are in for an expensive fix. If you can I would go 2009 or 2010.

I'm still confused. Is the head cooling issue for the 2V or 3V 4.6L?

EDIT: Yikes, more searching definitely says 09-10 is the way to go

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The head cooling issue is for the 2V engine... In other words pre 2006 explorer V8.

The head cooling issue is for the 2V engine... In other words pre 2006 explorer V8.

Ok. I'm confused again. The 3V came out in 2006, but this thread people are saying get an '09-10?

Issue 1: head cooling Pre 06?
Issue 2: Manifold/plugs... Pre 08?

2008½, 2009, or 2010 are the sweet spot.
If you find a 2008, IIRC, the updated head design will have a different color plastic for the plug coils. My 2006 are black. I think the new ones are brown. Can someone confirm?

I just bought a 2009 w V8 and the plastic on the top of the coils is black and only the narrow part of the bottom of the coil is brown.

Yes, if the coils have not been replaced for some reason then it is the color of the spark plug boot; black for the old not redesigned heads and brown for the new redesigned ones.

Back