rear carrier cross shaft bolt broken | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear carrier cross shaft bolt broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albino 94LTD

Recovering from Moab 2016
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Newcastle Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
White 94 Limited
Callsign
KG7PKQ
We are tyring to rebuild the LS on Ricky8587's rear diff onlyto discover the bolt holding the cross shaft is broken at the end of the threads.

We can get a dental pick in and can turn the unthreaded section that goes throught eh shaft but can't get that piece out.

Any ideas??

We tried super glue on a punch buit it doesn't seem to have enough holding power.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have no idea what it is you are talking about but I have a few suggestions that may or may not work: Shop Vac, Magnet, Compressor with blow gun tip. Just trying to help. If these are way off then disregard. - Rondo

that sucks dude, someone over tighten the bolt. its a pita but its possible to drill it out and extract it just time consuming.

that sucks dude, someone over tighten the bolt. its a pita but its possible to drill it out and extract it just time consuming.

No, it's loose enough to spin plus you can't get the drill lined up straight. The drill motor will hit the housing first.

I'll get a couple pics

i miss read that, cant you use a strong small magnet to pull it out? while you wiggle the shaft up and down so the pin slides out..

Small magnet won't fit. we've tried 2 of them.

Attachments

• IMG_2931-1.jpg
    IMG_2931-1.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 686
  • IMG_2932-2.jpg
    IMG_2932-2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 722

Welding rod and a battery.

Will Give It A Try

Tool ordered. Thanks for ALL help and suggestions!

That tool sounds nice to have.
Can someone who used one give me a Readers Digest condensed version on how it works?
Might just have some things around in my garage that might work it it's place.

It is just a simple extended flexible drill bit with reverse threads. The easy outs that come with it are reverse also. 2 sizes to use depending on how mush material is removed. On mine, they weren't even needed. The bit grabbed it and backed it out on it's own.

The length and flex of the bit is whats needed to remove the broken bolt because of the placement of it. Simple to use, nothing to it.

The special bolt that comes with it threads into the carrier bolt hole. This bolt is hollowed out and acts as a guide for the bit, to keep it centered while doing its thing. Slide the flex bit through the bolt hole, push till it bottoms out, start drill on slow speed, and feel for it to back the broken bolt out. Once you feel it hitting the bottom of the hollowed bolt, back it out, and keep drilling till the broken bolt is removed.

Now if it is stubborn, you will have to drill out enough of the center of the broken bolt to place the easy outs in and wrench the easy out dragging the broken bolt out with it.

In this case the bolt is already free spinning, and I believe it will come right out with just the bit alone.

Looking forward to using it! Hope it works for me. I'll report back and try to remember to take photos of the procedure

Hope it works for you also. Great explanation, felt like I was doing it while reading.
Well I know now that I do not have anything like that in my arsenal.

The tool didn't work on mine to extract bolt tip. But, the drill bit did go deep enough into the broken bolt tip to weaken it. A few hard whacks to the cross shaft and "pop" broken tip gave way.

I had decided to install a Powertrax No Slip locker (instead of rebuilding the LS) and that came with a new cross shaft. 2 1/2 years later and working dandy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back