engine has lost compression, o rings failed/valves failed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

engine has lost compression, o rings failed/valves failed

SB98UKexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
UK croydon
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer 4.0 SOHC v6
my explorer has unfortantly come off the road and has been at a garage to diagnose why it was getting so hard to start and the fuel being dumped out the exhuast, they done a compression test and found 2 are very low below 40psi and the other 4 between 70 and 120 psi, they reckon due to it being on lpg previously it has dried the rings cousing them to fatigue over time so they gave me rough qoute of 1500 to take the engine out,inspect it, replace valves,o rings pistons and a further test before installing it, im not sure at the moment about having this done as the explorer is worth only roughly 1500 with my slight modifcations iv had done to it, dont know what to do with it now

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's why I dislike LPG - it's the Devils fuel IMHO.

Obviously, sorry to hear about your troubles - if you were closer I'd love to help out anyway I could. I have read your other post in ChrsQ's dismantling thread as I was going to suggest maybe claiming on your car insurance if your truck s that far gone. I'm sure ChrisQ will sort you out :D

I had same with my dora and was burnt out valves Justin did mine with reckon heads and new rear timing chain plus fitted a flash lube kit to ensure it didin't happen again for £1100 or you could see if anyone got a good second hand engine

How's your Ex. coming these days Brother? Haven't heard from you in ages - hope you've kept faith with her. Post back and let us know how you're getting on!

fixed fine n dandy

yes spent the £1100 and put flash lube system on to protect as truck still far to good

good news, picked up the ex today from the garage with the new engine from chris, its so much better smooth idle and power, i forgot how good it is :) leaves my engine with aload of parts i can take off for spares now.

That's great news Brother. Glad you stuck with her :D

What did you get done in the end?

cheers, i got a engine from chris, and had it swapped it over at my local garage, they also said thats the first and last time they will do one, it had taken them 28hrs of work to do it.

My Indy mechanic wouldn't work on these Trucks out of choice; but as we have good years of rust and I don't bullshit him, he gives things a go for me :D

Some thing I can't do so it's nice to have a mechanic (someone who understands how to fix things) and not a 'technician' whose first job is to plug in a diagnostic computer and see what it says.

No more LPG now dude :p

Explorer engine

Hi I a new to this site, I am after some information if anyone could be so kind, I purchased a new remanufactured 4.0lt explorer engine last year with the plans on putting it in a track car, firstly my plans were to fit a distributer or a 2.9lt cologne motor and a 400cfm carburettor, the reason was so I didn't have to run expensive stand alone ecu's. And I can play with jetting myself, I am also wanting to know if I can get a standard flywheel so I can run a clutch and manual gearbox,
To be honest if this is going to be an expensive project, I will be selling the new engine with some ancillaries and inlet manifold and plenum,
If anyone was interested in the engine please mail me at lillsta@hotmail.com or txt 07748481749 for details

Hoping someone can help
Kind regards
Dave

Sorry new on here, this wasn't mentioned to be posted here

Back