2014 Exp Sport - $46,000 OTD good buy? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Exp Sport - $46,000 OTD good buy?

Chungini46

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Acura TL
Hello Exp Forum,

My first thread, but hopefully not my last!

Been eyeing the Sport for some time, test drove it this weekend and fell in love with it. Went to Galpin Ford in North Hills, CA "worlds # 1 Ford dealer 24 years in a row!" Great staff and good service, I was very impressed.

The Explorer I was negotiating was:
2014 Explorer Sport - Black
+ 401 A option + Floor mat + Dual Moon Roof + Tailer Tow = $48,045 MSRP Sticker price.

After 2 hours of negotiating, the Team Manager was willing to go $46,000 + Lowjack. I stuck with $45,000 since I didn't want all the options, I just wanted the standard option + Navi + Powergate, which they didn't have in stock.

I eventually walked out, since i wasn't in a hurry to buy.

What do you think forum, is $46K a great deal/good deal/average?

I really appreciate your input, thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the only thing we were missing on ours was the adaptive cruise and captains chairs and got it for about 42,500 ordered.

rbreding, thanks for your reply. Is that Out the Door $42,500?

Hello Exp Forum,

My first thread, but hopefully not my last!

Been eyeing the Sport for some time, test drove it this weekend and fell in love with it. Went to Galpin Ford in North Hills, CA "worlds # 1 Ford dealer 24 years in a row!" Great staff and good service, I was very impressed.

The Explorer I was negotiating was:
2014 Explorer Sport - Black
+ 401 A option + Floor mat + Dual Moon Roof + Tailer Tow = $48,045 MSRP Sticker price.

After 2 hours of negotiating, the Team Manager was willing to go $46,000 + Lowjack. I stuck with $45,000 since I didn't want all the options, I just wanted the standard option + Navi + Powergate, which they didn't have in stock.

I eventually walked out, since i wasn't in a hurry to buy.

What do you think forum, is $46K a great deal/good deal/average?

I really appreciate your input, thanks!

Really need a breakdown of the final price. What is the price for the Ex, taxes, paperwork fees etc?. Every state has different taxes (my state has zero sales tax) so it is hard to know what is a good deal.

You should not be paying more then invoice in my opinion. If dealer isn't willing to budge, try to get an Xplan pin which will get you close to invoice with only $100 worth of fees.

rbreding, thanks for your reply. Is that Out the Door $42,500?

That is OTD of the dealership yes. Taxes etc are handled at the tag agency if you we're including those numbers.

EDIT: went back and looked...48635 was sticker.

I didn't ask them for the invoice but I calculated $42,000 for the invoice + $4000 tax (9.25% CA) + $120 in fees.

So if I get all the listed options mentioned above, is it a good price?

Just because it's the #1 dealer in the world doesn't mean the best deals, it's usually the opposite. I would shop around to at least 2 more dealers.

I think the only thing we were missing on ours was the adaptive cruise and captains chairs and got it for about 42,500 ordered.

$42,500

$1150 Adaptive Cruise
$100 2nd Row Console
$750 2nd Row Captains Seats

$44,500

So if you compare this purchase to yours your off $1600

Go back and ask them to loose the $1600, or a big chunk of it.

$42,500

$1150 Adaptive Cruise
$100 2nd Row Console
$750 2nd Row Captains Seats

$44,500

So if you compare this purchase to yours your off $1600

Go back and ask them to loose the $1600, or a big chunk of it.

Thanks for the feedback.
Might be a dumb questions, but did you pay $44,500 out the door, including tax and docs?

Thanks for the feedback.
Might be a dumb questions, but did you pay $44,500 out the door, including tax and docs?

Mine is purchased in Canada which is higher all the way around.

I got A Plan so my full load 14 SPORT was $45,333 (actually $44,333 because I get a $1000 back from Costco)....thats not bad in Canada because if you build one on the Canadian website your almost at $58,000

USA MSRP is much less then Canada.

I got A Plan so my full load 14 SPORT was $45,333 (actually $44,333 because I get a $1000 back from Costco)....thats not bad in Canada because if you build one on the Canadian website your almost at $58,000

Thanks for your input, that really gives me perspective!

Another data point: Ordered a new 14 Sport with 401A, Dual Moonroof, Cargo protection mat and bumper protection and paid invoice price.

Another dealer was willing to let go of one it had on the lot for invoice minus $500 but it had options I did not care for (+ had bad customer service experience there).

Hope this helps,
Best

I just purchased a 2014 Sport (401a, Dual Moonroof, Ruby Red, and weather mats) No tow package or adaptive cruise control. Paid $45,600 OTD

Great deal

Just curious what options you got and how you got to such a low price! We paid for 14 sport with adaptive cruise, tow, dual moon roof, rear inflatable seatbelts, voice navigation $48000 + tax in Canada.

Pete

Just curious what options you got and how you got to such a low price! We paid for 14 sport with adaptive cruise, tow, dual moon roof, rear inflatable seatbelts, voice navigation $48000 + tax in Canada.

Pete

A Plan pricing is employee pricing then I was allowed FALS cash

FALS Fleet And Lease Support

Plus $1000 Costco cash

My order is full load all options black on black

That's no tax though

Trading my 13 full load Limited in for $37,000

The dealer let me carry over my Ford OEM DVD headrests and wheel locks

WOW why was my reply removed?? The guy asked for people's opinion on the vehicle and i mention how I dont like it it at all and its removed? What does ford own this forum?

WOW why was my reply removed?? The guy asked for people's opinion on the vehicle and i mention how I dont like it it at all and its removed? What does ford own this forum?

He asked if his quoted OTD (out the door) price was a good deal or not. He didn't ask for anyones opinion on the vehicle itself. There have been moderators that have posted warnings about bashing on the site. Stickies are your friend.

He asked if his quoted OTD (out the door) price was a good deal or not. He didn't ask for anyones opinion on the vehicle itself. There have been moderators that have posted warnings about bashing on the site. Stickies are your friend.

I wasn't bashing anyone or anything, he asked an opinion I answered what my opinion of the new 2014 trucks were. I was not rude or mean. I don't like the trucks and would not even buy one of them for 2k.

Not because they don't have nice features. But because i do NOT like how they look. They look like some strange bug, Not a truck / suv. Common sense is your friend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wasn't bashing anyone or anything, he asked an opinion I answered what my opinion of the new 2014 trucks were. I was not rude or mean. I don't like the trucks and would not even buy one of them for 2k.

Not because they don't have nice features. But because i do NOT like how they look. They look like some strange bug, Not a truck / suv. Common sense is your friend.

And again he didn't ask for someone's opinion on what they thought of the Explorer. He asked if $48k was a good deal. Your reply had nothing to do with the OPs question therefore didn't belong in here.

Now if someone asked what they thought about the Ex, that would be fine. He clearly likes it and cares about getting a good price only. No one said you were rude but it was a trollish type of post since it was completely off topic.

Back