• Register Today It's free!

Steering Wheel Sticks

carmel

Reaction score
City, State
RICHMOND, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Got A 96 Xlt 2wd. Steering Wheel Has A Sticking Point When U Turn It And U Can Feel It In The Steering Wheel. Can B Done N While N Parked And Engine Running. While Driving It Sometimes Will Like "lock" Itself And When U Go To Turn Or Switch Lanes U Feel The Hard "jerk" . It Makes It Look Like I'm Drunk Driving Or Falling Asleep And Catch Myself To Keep The Vehicle Straight.
Ball Joints Were Replaced Yesterday And My Guy(honest Backyard Mechanic) Said Everything Else Was Fine. Wheel Bearing Replaced Too.
237,000 Miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You (U) most likely are looking at a new steering gear (rack). Binding in the steering is a bad thing. You (U) should take it in and have the steering inspected. If you (U) are lucky, it might be something in the column, but my bet is the rack is worn out with +200K.

I had the same problem last June. It ended up just needing some lube to loosen it back up. The shop did it for me no charge when I brought it in to have one of my oxygen sensors fixed. Felt normal afterwards.

do you know exacty what lubed ?

was it the shafts of the steering rack ?

You (U) most likely are looking at a new steering gear (rack). Binding in the steering is a bad thing. You (U) should take it in and have the steering inspected. If you (U) are lucky, it might be something in the column, but my bet is the rack is worn out with +200K.

LOL THIS POST. :D

And, holy old thread bump! ^

Just calling it like eye see it.

Back