• Register Today It's free!

Tow points???

Rebel2000

Reaction score
City, State
Denison Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT 4wd
I have a 2000 explorer XLT and has no tow points, I looked to find a place to mount tow hooks to the front but it seems like I'd have to cut or notch the bumper and drill holes to mount them which shouldn't be too hard but no idea how to go about it. It only has a bumper hitch on it in the back and wondered if I could take the ball off and drop a tractor hitch clevis through that hole and would it hold without destroying the bumper if pulled slow. Just wanna test the awd in some mud after school tomorrow since we finally got a good rain.

Do some searching on here for tow points, a rear hitch is a good idea. Front hooks are kind of a PITA. You'll have to drill the frame

you have the hitch on the bumper which is questionable for strength, you could go to a junk yard and pull a frame hitch off an explorer with the tow package and it would bolt right up under your bumper. That would be a lot stronger than the bumper.

I use and would highly recommend a front reciever with a Warn reciever D ring as a tow point. It does fit with a stock bumper, at least it did on my '96. I have been wheeling this setup hard for 5 years and never had an issue.

I'm currently looking to sell my front reciever as well as I'l going to part this Explorer out to build another.

ry484_zps975e5d52.jpg

Back