Emergency tranny ? Part found in pan? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Emergency tranny ? Part found in pan?

AIRBLUE

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4.0 4x4
INTERMEDIATEBANDAPPLYSTRUTPICTURE3_zpse0dee478.jpg

EDIT: The part in the pan is the INTERMEDIATE ANCHOR STRUT

I have my 02 with a 5r55w up on stands changing solenoid and I found ANCHOR STRUT in the pan. Could this have fallen out due to either poor band adjustment, sticking servo or ?????

Can I just reinstall (Without removing valve body)?
and then just follow band adjustment procedure.
THERE WERE NO DEBRIS FROM BAND ETC IN THE PAN. So fairly certain band did not break. I really dont want to pull valve body if I dont have to.

I was having 2nd to 3rd "Flare"

Truck in driveway and supposed to snow tonight

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

intermediate or front band anchor strut?

Found some info on this but I am curious, can I put this back in and adjust? If so is there a "How to"?

This transmission will have to come out and dismantled to repair.

The band has broken, the two pieces with the small notch on one end is the band struts, the other piece is a anchor that has broken off the band, the band strut fits into the band anchor. Its a common failure with this band.

JK
Can the Intermediate Band Anchor Strut fall out under some conditions?

I only have the band strut no other parts, chunks or shavings. It looks to be in new condition. Brooklynbay suggested I pull the valve body and verify the condition of the INTERMIDIATE BAND prior to pulling the tranny. NO BAND DEBRIS WERE IN THE PAN. Fluid was a little dark but thats it.

Changed original picture to actual part I found in the pan.

This transmission will have to come out and dismantled to repair.

The band has broken, the two pieces with the small notch on one end is the band struts, the other piece is a anchor that has broken off the band, the band strut fits into the band anchor. Its a common failure with this band.

INTERMEDIATEBANDAPPLYSTRUTPICTURE3_zpse0dee478.jpg

Changed picture to the actual part found

:usa:

Sorry I missed that part, in caps...it was late..:D

The struts can drop out if the adjustment is backed out enough or if the servo is removed. But if nothing was done to the trans and they just fell out I would think that the band is still broken. I have seen the band break just enough to let the struts fall off and the anchor still attached but barely or it just hasn't made it to the pan.

There is no way to install the strut on the servo side on either band from the bottom with the valve body removed anyway. The transmission will have to come out.:roll:

Thanks JK

Going out to give it a shot, it's fricking snowing outside here in SWL Michigan....Stellar.

Maybe, just maybe since this is on the adjuster side intermediate I can get it up there and give it a try. Can't pull tranny now anyway so worth a shot.

Will report back here on outcome as after some intense searching last night I have found "some" others that have had a similar issue, but as u said 75% had a broken intermediate band.

Thanks for the responses...you too Brooklynbay. :thumbsup:

I also feel like I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night after all the pages of searching and videos, the auto Trans doesnt scare me nearly as much after getting a grasp of how the thing works.

Wish me luck :usa:

Sorry I missed that part, in caps...it was late..:D

The struts can drop out if the adjustment is backed out enough or if the servo is removed. But if nothing was done to the trans and they just fell out I would think that the band is still broken. I have seen the band break just enough to let the struts fall off and the anchor still attached but barely or it just hasn't made it to the pan.

There is no way to install the strut on the servo side on either band from the bottom with the valve body removed anyway. The transmission will have to come out.:roll:

I didn't know that you made a thread since we were exchanging PM's. I didn't see your thread until now. Another thing to check is the servo pin. Sometimes these pins could break off from the servo, and cause the anchor to fall off. The servos on this transmission have a pin running at a slight angle. This is the main cause of irregular servo bore wear. The stress at an angle could cause it to break off from the servo.

Thanks Brooklyn

Will check that next but currently out trying to pull the band down and insert the Anchor Strut/Adjuster Side. I need a third hand, what are you doin? :D Feels connected on the servo side.

Pain in the arse but if it works, sure beats pulling the tranny.

Use your technical intuition to the limits of it's extents. Dropping a transmission if not absolutely necessary to bring about a satisfactory repair is the WORST pain in the ass imaginable.

JK is most knowledgeable, and is to be trusted. He, however, works under a slightly modified "umbrella" from us shade tree mechanics, and I fully respect that fact. You, on the other hand, are "stuck in the middle" like me, I expect. If you can determine that the band "ain't busted", AND can weasel the parts back into their appropriate places, TRY. Failure means nothing more than ripping the goddamned thing apart, anyway, right? If avoidable, avoid. imp

Well said IMP, I did get it up and attempted band adjustment procedure but my dumb arse did not take the adjuster out and clean up the threads before installation (live and learn) made it very hard to tell when I was reaching the 10 inch pounds prior to backing it off. I am going to test drive this am so we shall see. I will report back so the next guy can search and be aware.

You sure would believe it would not have been difficult to make the Inter and OD band replaceable while the tranny still installed. I guess it's like the tranny fill, Ford makes it a pain in the ass so you take it to a stealership.

Would like to thank everybody for responding and the PM's. :thumbsup:

Use your technical intuition to the limits of it's extents. Dropping a transmission if not absolutely necessary to bring about a satisfactory repair is the WORST pain in the ass imaginable.

JK is most knowledgeable, and is to be trusted. He, however, works under a slightly modified "umbrella" from us shade tree mechanics, and I fully respect that fact. You, on the other hand, are "stuck in the middle" like me, I expect. If you can determine that the band "ain't busted", AND can weasel the parts back into their appropriate places, TRY. Failure means nothing more than ripping the goddamned thing apart, anyway, right? If avoidable, avoid. imp

Listen to IMP, worth a shot to see if u can reinstall before pulling tranny. I am not familiar with servo side failure.....yet...... but mine felt connected on the servo side when I used and improvised coat hanger to pull the band back down to install the strut. As JK and Brooklyn mentioned, it didnt fall out for no reason so I am treating this as a temporary fix to get me back on the road to buy my next SUV.

my truck is a ford ranger 1989, my hubby went to get part thhat I am talking about. I have webcam. It is a flat metal piece with two prongs at both ends and it is smaller at on end. It was lying in my transmission pan when hubby pulled it off. The other question thing cut half of what i said off.

Fix made it about 300 miles, shifting better than it ever has....then.... it fell out again. Not a huge deal as I still wanted to change out another 5 qt of fluid.

I Obama rigged it this time, after comparison to a new inter band I realized that while not broke the adjust side holder had been bent on the band. I cut a piece of 1/4" copper pipe and slid it over the "holder" on the band and was secured with JB weld. 24 hr cure time up this am so will be putting back together and testing. Not sure why holder bent but this will hold the strut in place and should solve the problem.

PS - Cleaned up the adjuster this time so will be able to torque correctly. this may have been my problem the first time I fixed it as rust was causing 10 inch pound/back off two turns setting impossible to get.

Anybody want to buy a 3rd gen? :D

Back