Help. Ex wont start. Stranded in Germany. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help. Ex wont start. Stranded in Germany.

mech

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Motorbike
Hi all. Hope some of you can lend a hand.

Im currently in germany on a road trip with the family. The explorer#wont start. This has happened a few times over the past few weeks but a simple jump had done the trick. The problem seemingly began when i killed the battery by leaving the radio on one night. I jumped it and let it run for a while. It was ok for a few days and then it wouldnt start again. I attributed this to my wife leaving something plugged in. However this last two times, i am certain that nothing was left on.#

The car wouldnt start this time even with a jump. The lights are reasonably bright and mft boots up. When i attempt to start the car it wont crank at all. Instead the mft screen flashes on and off rapidly and i can hear a relay or sonething clicking very quickly. The lcd also reads hill decent errors and alarm errors.#

I am going to try to get a new battery tomorrow and try it. Any other advice?

I have a coupla theories but no meter to verify.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just become German. Probably easier....

J/K: I don't have a lot to offer other than the basics. Does the starter turn at all? I assume that's what you mean by "wont crank". I had a Nissan Maxima that exhibited similar symptoms - it required a battery.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge posts on this. In the meantime go enjoy Octoberfest somewhere; you have the perfect excuse :D

Hi all. Hope some of you can lend a hand.

Im currently in germany on a road trip with the family. The explorer#wont start. This has happened a few times over the past few weeks but a simple jump had done the trick. The problem seemingly began when i killed the battery by leaving the radio on one night. I jumped it and let it run for a while. It was ok for a few days and then it wouldnt start again. I attributed this to my wife leaving something plugged in. However this last two times, i am certain that nothing was left on.#

The car wouldnt start this time even with a jump. The lights are reasonably bright and mft boots up. When i attempt to start the car it wont crank at all. Instead the mft screen flashes on and off rapidly and i can hear a relay or sonething clicking very quickly. The lcd also reads hill decent errors and alarm errors.#

I am going to try to get a new battery tomorrow and try it. Any other advice?

I have a coupla theories but no meter to verify.

Thanks.
Usually if the battery is dead, your lights will not be bright. In fact they likely would hardly be noticeable.
The radio, if left on when the ignition is turned off, should shut itself off after 20 minutes. It should not stay on. You don't state what model or year your Explorer is. To me it sounds like you may have another issue. Maybe the starter needs to be looked at.

Peter

Octoberfest is over. Its mainly in september actually. So no luck there.

I agree that its odd that a battery would be "dead" but the lights still bright. Its clear that the computer is going nuts. Im getting alarm errors, hdc errors, and "battery saver mode" messages. My thinking is that there is still capacity in the battery but its marginal. Perhaps a dead shorted cell.

When the radio was left on a few weeks ago, the keys were turned on. Thus the auto shutoff did not occur.

Im going to try and find an acceptable battery substitute this morning.

On my wife's old Sebring, the battery was fine on the way to work, but during the day had died. Car wouldn't crank, but lights came on, and the display in the dash was flashing very oddly - the odometer, gear selector, etc. Turned out it was nothing more than a battery, which was a pain as the wheel had to be removed to get it installed.

Found a similar sized battery this morning and put it in. It was too tall for the hold down so i had to tie it down with some rope and zip ties. I made it to italy and parked. Hopefully it starts in the morning. I did stop on the way and had a guy at a service center put a meter on it. It read 13.4 v with the engine running.

War story time:
MY parents Brand new Acura died in the garage. Dealer checked it over after a jump start and drive there, said nothing was wrong.

2 weeks later it was dead as could be again. After a jump start and 2 day stay at the dealer they said the "charge wire" was loose and replaced the battery.
I bet it dies again.

Google search reveals this is a huge issue across the brands. Save a nickle on 300,000 vehicles and you made the company a fortune. The consensus is batteries of inadequate capacity and size are being used in new vehicles, from what I have read.

Since I have an extra donut today-I am going to wager it and say your truck will start fine tomorrow. Good luck!!:thumbsup:

If the car doesn't start and he eats the donut you FedEx to him - in ITALY of all places - , I will have lost all respect for mankind...

:D

Car started like a tiger. Drove all the way to dijon today. Yeah... The mustard place in france.

Ford service at a dealer in the states tells me that 13.4 v from the alternator is in spec.

Seems that all will be fine. Ill post a pic of my rigged battery set up when i finally get home. Ya know i think its actually a little faster with that german battery in there.

Did you ship your ex to Europe for this trip or you live there?

I shipped it when I moved here. Its the only one I've seen so far. I've gotten a lot of strange looks and a few comments. Wait... maybe that wasnt the car.

Back