Oil Filter Adapter Housing Gasket | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Filter Adapter Housing Gasket

Sure could. Changing it out is worth the $11 at the auto part store.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That was my thought on it, but looking online and in here I didn't come up with anyone saying that's how they'd gotten coolant in the oil. I hate being "taken" and if my truck ends up going in for a head gasket repair, I want to be sure that its likely. I'd hate for the dealer to replace this gasket and charge for head gasket. I've had them quote a new cruise module for what was a 10.00 master cylinder switch. Just inherent distrust. I'll still do compression and leak down tests also, but thanks for the input. 11.00 peace of mind if nothing else, and it just might fix it.

Changing it will definitely get you peace of mind. But it won't just be $11. Spend a few extra bucks and buy a couple of cans of brake cleaner also. It being the housing for your oil filter it will will most likely be covered in oil and grime. You'll want a clean area to work with and a very clean area to mount the gasket to.

I changed out the gasket today, it took me about 3-1/2 hours. Here's how I did it:
First drain the oil, drain the coolant, remove oil filter, remove radiator hose at radiator end. Remove two 13mm bolts from oil filter housing from underneath. Take driver's side wheel off, pull back rubber flap, access the top two 13mm bolts. Remove housing with hose attached. Clean off mating surfaces of housing and motor, refit in reverse order.
It took me a long time due to not being able to remove the top two bolts, probably easier if you remove the coolant hose, but that was difficult with the type of hose clamps that were on there. The gaskets have the year of manufacture on them - this was the original gasket with '01 on it, the new one has '13 and you can see that Ford has changed the design a bit.
The gasket looks like it was leaking for a long time, so this was a pretty dirty job.
Hopefully no more leaks.

Is there any chance this could have gotten damaged during an oil/filter change?

The wife gets her oil changed at the Ford dealer because they have one of those "buy 4 get 1 free" things.

Immediately after the oil change (but I can't say for sure if it was the same day or days later) we got an oil leak. The dealer says it's this gasket and wants $250 to change it as they say they couldn't have damaged it during the oil change.

This housing is bolted down pretty good to the block. I don't see how any Ford mechanic would disturb this joint or gasket to replace the oil filter. It is a common problem and it is probably just your turn.

This housing is bolted down pretty good to the block. I don't see how any Ford mechanic would disturb this joint or gasket to replace the oil filter. It is a common problem and it is probably just your turn.

Thanks for the feedback. After looking at the schematics that's the way it looked to me, but it's good to hear some backup on that.

Thanks for the feedback. After looking at the schematics that's the way it looked to me, but it's good to hear some backup on that.

$250? Change it yourself and save $235.

I have this same issue on my 99 Expedition 4.6 , Maybe I should go ahead and fix it instead of trying to sell or trade it as is ..

Anybody has part number for this gasket for 2004 V8 Explorer Limited.
Thanks an advance

It looks like I got this issue, just changed the oil last week and see drips on the floor for several days. Noticed that one of the bolts near the power steering pump is soaking even after cleaning it. Sucks when it's below freezing this week and I don't have the time to tackle this job this weekend.

It looks like I got this issue, just changed the oil last week and see drips on the floor for several days. Noticed that one of the bolts near the power steering pump is soaking even after cleaning it. Sucks when it's below freezing this week and I don't have the time to tackle this job this weekend.
Holy crap, am I glad you just happened to see this 'cause you have the issue, and you commented on it. I have my motor out right now, actually just about to put it back in, and this gasket was one of the things I was gonna skip doing because I had seen no signs of leakage there--I mean--you can't change every frickin' thing unless you're doing a complete rebuild and you're rich. But, the engine is out because I did a head gasket replacement--BECAUSE I HAD COOLANT IN THE OIL AND MY RESEARCH HERE AND EVERYWHERE ELSE DID NOT REVEAL THIS ISSUE. I gotta tell you, I had come to the conclusion that there was no way for coolant to have entered the oil except through a blown head gasket. Nobody ever suggested this possibility to me. And I was just about to put the engine back in without even looking at this, all to save $11. I mean, right now on the engine stand it's a 5 minute job for me. I don't know if it's bad, but I do know it would have totally sucked to find coolant in my oil again after getting my motor back in. I wouldn't have known what the heck was going on, and you talk about being PO'd at that point..... Well, I'll change it and let you know what it looked like. I'm either gonna find out I may have done a head gasket for nothing, or have the good feeling that I addressed a common issue before it went bad on me. Either way gotta do it, and I thank you for inadvertently helping me.

I really don't like the design of this oil adapter having the oil and coolant sharing the same gasket. Just another bone-headed designed from ford engineers..

At 170k miles, this deserve a replacement.

Well, I changed the gasket tonight. Verdict was I guess I got the feeling I addressed an issue that was going bad on me. I did not discover any evidence of gasket failure between the oil passage and the coolant passage, so I guess maybe I didn't replace the head gaskets for nothing. I did find that the gasket was beginning to fail inside the coolant passage. Now let me tell you how to do this:
First, pull the engine:
View media item 712Just kidding. Anyway, here's some picsView media item 717View media item 716View media item 715View media item 714View media item 713

I just did this yesterday, took me almost 6hrs. This is a PITA work because of limited access. You are working like a surgeon here, removing and putting everything from that oil filter access area below the radiator and cross frame. Sore arms and neck.
Since I just replaced the oil, I didn't drain it all only lost maybe 1/4 quart (just re-used the oil filter) I also lost 2 gallons of coolant (1 gallon of 100% zerex)
The coolant hose obstruct most of the area to swing and place the tools and this hose is not easy to remove, I ended up just disconnecting from the radiator.

15492270_1169076859827130_2578905327084490539_n.jpg

15391153_1169076883160461_121997922513484827_n.jpg

15390824_1169076886493794_8455568417656119701_n.jpg

Yes, this job is a PITA because of limited access however my greatest concern was if I had properly torqued the bolts. With all the extensions and rachet universals you have to use I wonder how much torque was lost on going though all those ratchet extensions.

Sorry for recover this post, i saw that you did it even not being an expert (i'm pretty surenthat more experienced than me). Could you please tell me which tools did you used? I need to do this but i don't find any video guide of an Explorer of 2004 4.6, all i found is Mustangs engines or F-150, and if there's one video of mine, it's so low quality that you can't see anything.

Thanks again.

Back