Painting or Plastic Dip Door handles | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting or Plastic Dip Door handles

It's now been 3 or 4 months since I painted my handles as well as the other chrome and it's all holding up perfectly. The trick is to dull the chrome with a scotchbrite and then etch prime them before regular prime and paint. Without etch prime it will probably flake.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm confused as to how so many members declare the chrome handles not suitable for painting but then several others seem to say they painted them up no problem. Is a professional body shop going to have issues painting the chrome handles?

My body shop would paint over the chrome but they would not guarantee how long it would last, that is why I went with the edge paint to match handles as they will guarantee the paint on them.

I want to change mine to the pearl white. Any help with this?

Have you guys just thought about ordering premixed paint in a spray can such as from paint scratch.com I have done that before on several projects on my mustangs and other trucks. I also have just picked up a '14 Explorer Limited and with just 50 miles on the odometer the chrome handles are driving me nuts. Thinking about ordering white platinum and painting them.

looks great, did you go with stick on/over black front emblem or a completely new one? grille need to be removed to put a new one on?

Also where did you get the black ford badges?

Well I work at a Ford dealer so my cost was around 320 for all parts and then I will have my body shop paint them. Its a little expensive for door handles, but I cant stand the chrome ones and I want an exact match to the white plat not just white plasti dip. If you go to http://www.oemfordpart.com/ and search under ford edge(11-13) and look for the door handle parts that are paint to match. This website has the same parts and are within $10 of dealer cost on each part.

Do you have all the part number of all four door handle? Will be appreciated if you provided for us. Lol. Thanks

Where did you buy the black lug nuts?

Amazon:

Gorilla Automotive 71683NBC "The System" Acorn Black Chrome Wheel Locks (1/2" Thread Size) - For 5 Lug Wheels

The "does it fit" thing Amazon has says it doesn't fit - but it does.

Well its been about a year and the handles still look really good. Sorry I haven't been on in a while.

Ive done mine like 3 times, and they start peeling days later every time I do it. I did my friends Jeep, all the trim and the wheels and his looks great. WTF.

Explorer Painted Door Handles at dealer

I just picked up my 2014 Sport last week and have been searching the net for some info on things I'm interested in learning about.

One of these is the damn door handles. I see a few threads on this forum about the chrome handles.
I talked to the dealer today and was told you can order the handles pained with the color your Sport came with for around 600 dollars.
They also want 200 dollars per door to install which is absurd in my opinion.

Not sure if its worth buying the handles from them or not.
I've searched around the net but I cant find anywhere selling these things.

The vinyl or plasti dip stuff seems like a ghetto fix for a car that cost so much
Painting the chrome ones that it comes with was my first thought, but I'm told its not something you want to do. (Painting on chrome)

Anyway, do you guys think the dealer price for a painted set is the way to go or do you think its possible some company will sell aftermarket ones at some point?

I just picked up my 2014 Sport last week and have been searching the net for some info on things I'm interested in learning about.

One of these is the damn door handles. I see a few threads on this forum about the chrome handles.
I talked to the dealer today and was told you can order the handles pained with the color your Sport came with for around 600 dollars.

The vinyl or plasti dip stuff seems like a ghetto fix for a car that cost so much
Painting the chrome ones that it comes with was my first thought, but I'm told its not something you want to do. (Painting on chrome)

Anyway, do you guys think the dealer price for a painted set is the way to go or do you think its possible some company will sell aftermarket ones at some point?
Welcome to the Forum JD408.:wavey:
As indicated in my PM, I have merged your thread/post with this existing one on the same topic. I'm not sure how well paint will adhere to polished chrome and I don't know if anyone will come out with painted ones just for the Explorer. That would be a very limited market.

Peter

I have no knowledge of the handles on the newer Explorers, but I know about the handles on my older Mustang. The factory handles were plastic and become brittle and hence break over time. They now sell aftermarket metal ones, and the price is reasonable, but install means completely disassembling the door, drilling out rivets, and putting in new rivets for the new handles. So in the event that the replacing the handles is as involved on the Explorers as it is on the mustang, it may not be a completely trivial operation.

I always look at these things in their various components. What do the parts cost? (a) Can I get the same thing cheaper? Not sure there's a lot of aftermarket stuff like this for new models Explorers, but I could be totally wrong on that assumption. But maybe check some other dealerships, or some mail order sites. (b) What does the labor cost? Can I get that done cheaper? So you might want to check some local body shops and see if they'll give you a quote on install.

Good luck. Enjoy the explorer..

There are a couple guys on this forum that did a very good job with the vinyl wrap on the door handles.

Much better then I could do.

I don't think it looks Ghetto when done like these guys have done it, but your right, if not done well it looks very poor.

Don't remember seeing Plasticoat.

Keep in mind if you have the keyless entry the handle has a sensor.

Well I tried to call and order and came up with issues.
Called the guy back in service said, hey I called parts like you said and Im not getting anywhere. Calls me back and says he made a mistake. LOL
So I guess no painted handles now from there.
I'm trying to find out about some without the chrome and just black plastic now

^

I think the shop that wrapped my handles dropped a screw in the door.

Any suggestions on how to get to it?

Thanks

Required taking the back door inside panel off, which in turn, required taking the lock mechanism out. Not a job for the faint and I had the help of my neighbor's boyfriend who works in a body shop. He had a tool that allowed getting under the plastic rivets without breaking them. Also required removal of 4 large screws. Good luck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had mine plastidipped. I then ordered some vinyl wrap to change it over. Turned out well, but now that I know how to take the handles apart (very easy) I think the best long term plan is to just have them painted.

So your plastidip didn't last? i was thinking about plastidipping mine, but kind of thought it might not take kindly to the constant wear & tear of handle usage. How many coats did you put on?

p.s. is that vinyl wrap the 3m gloss (1080-G12) or 3m metallic gloss (1080-G212)? it seems like the metallic one would match the black paint better, but idk.

Back