Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations

I like them, they look pretty nice.....Hope you get just gobbs of snow to use them, meanwhile I'll be in Florida, for the Winter, so don't have much use for the tires, but the wheels would look good........Is your vehicle lowered? It looks so and looks great....Plum

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Best bet would be to go right to 18" Rims and tires. I wish I had done that with the Edge too.

But hindsight is 20/20.

Here is what my ride looks like with the winter rims and tires.
P1050770_zps56ea3ebc.jpg

P1050767_zpsaf31e551.jpg

Wow, that's tight.

Helpful information, but the problem SPORT owners have are the massive brakes, that are the largest of all the Explorers, due to the SPORT'S performance.

I like them, they look pretty nice.....Hope you get just gobbs of snow to use them, meanwhile I'll be in Florida, for the Winter, so don't have much use for the tires, but the wheels would look good........Is your vehicle lowered? It looks so and looks great....Plum

Thanks. Not lowered, stock Sport suspension.

Nice set of wheels and tires! IMO it sounds like a pretty decent price too (although that could be because I am used to $800 for new rear tires every two years...).

I'd almost venture to say that looks better than the Sport wheels. Nice!

The wheels came from Wheel Replicas and tires from Discount Tire Direct. I opted to not install TPMS sensors.

What is the effect of not installing the TPMS aside from the obvious. Does the warning light stay on or ding at you?

What is the effect of not installing the TPMS aside from the obvious. Does the warning light stay on or ding at you?

It just chimes when I start it and the light stays on. A simple annoyance I am capable of ignoring for the winter.

Here's the COP Explorer Steelie on a white Explorer Sport...looks like arse, but form follows function.

file_zps3da7e376.jpg
That is not the same wheel as the one shown on the Police Interceptor in post #46 .

Peter

That is not the same wheel as the one shown on the Police Interceptor in post #46 .

Peter

The one in the pic is a 17", these are 18", forces could spec the Explorers with bigger brakes and get the 18" wheels, next year they can get the 3.5 EB engines in them too.

Just thought I would check for more thoughts before I put these on, I did check the dot code and they are only 3 years old. So is 5% bigger ok??

Just thought I would check for more thoughts before I put these on, I did check the dot code and they are only 3 years old. So is 5% bigger ok??
The tire variance is 4.99% as you have no doubt discovered. The warning that comes up when comparing the 2 sizes you have says that it is recommended to stay within the 3% difference. The concern appears to be possible brake failure. I assume that is because of the larger and heavier replacement tire. I think in the end it is going to have to be your call whether or not to use them.

Peter

I personally went with aluminum 18" rims and 235 65 r18 studded winter tires on my sport. This size is a perfect match to the 255 50 R20 sizing and they work awesome on snow and ice. I'll post some pics once I wash the beast.

I personally went with aluminum 18" rims and 235 65 r18 studded winter tires on my sport. This size is a perfect match to the 255 50 R20 sizing and they work awesome on snow and ice. I'll post some pics once I wash the beast.
Ontario seems to be the only province that allows studded tires in part (North of Parry Sound) of the province and not in the other.

Peter

Ontario seems to be the only province that allows studded tires in part (North of Parry Sound) of the province and not in the other.

Peter

In Alberta I've been using studded tires for years. They are definitely more noisy but they do provide more grip on ice.

Which kind of Aluminum Wheels?
A friend of mine had some Hyundai Genesis sedan wheels that fit the brembo brakes, so big dish. The offset and bolt pattern was perfect. I refinished the wheels as they were a bit beat up. I also modified the center caps so that they had FORD emblems instead of Hyundai. They worked out great.

A friend of mine had some Hyundai Genesis sedan wheels that fit the brembo brakes, so big dish. The offset and bolt pattern was perfect. I refinished the wheels as they were a bit beat up. I also modified the center caps so that they had FORD emblems instead of Hyundai. They worked out great.

What year Genesis?

Pics?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What year Genesis?

Pics?

Sorry it is not a Genesis Sedan, it was a Genesis coupe with Brembo brakes at least that is what he told me. He did not specify the year and when I look through images of the Genesis coupe on google I can not find them. They did have Hyundai emblems on them. My bad on the mistake there between the sedan and coupe. I'll get some pics of them on my ride and post them.

Back