1st trip back to the dealership for repairs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st trip back to the dealership for repairs

Xcel

Reaction score
City, State
Thousand Oaks, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
It has been a little over a year with my 2013 Explorer Limited and I am just now making the time to take it in for a variety of issues I am having with the vehicle (I hope my local dealer has loaners). I have a feeling I am going to get some blowback on some of these items (We can't reproduce the problem......) I like our Explorer for the most part but these little quality issues leave me somewhat sour. So much so that I have been delaying purchasing a F-150 and looking into the new GMC Sierra. Here is the list I have accumulated thus far:

1. Recall - Fuel System

2. Suspension squeaking over speed humps on front drivers side. Been this way since delivery. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3145262#post3145262

3. 2nd row passenger side seat belt plastic insert inside the male portion of the buckle has been broken since delivery but did not seem to impede normal operation until there were a few times that it would not lock in.

4. 2nd row seat plastic broken on the bottom of the seat – The day we took delivery I found a broken off triangular plastic piece on the floor. I could not find where it came from at the time. The back of the 2nd row seat carpet was always wrinkled since delivery, I just thought it was poor fit and finish. While cleaning something under the 2nd row seat I saw where that plastic piece came from. When you fold up the small seat, you can see where it is broken under the larger side of the seat, this is also what is causing the wrinkled carpet because it is where the carpet is held in.

5. Passenger seat moves or slips at times under acceleration. Kind of like a manual seat that is not locked in.

6. Rubber seal between the front and back doors (both sides) is cracked all the way through in areas – It was like this only a month after delivery.

7. Rattle coming from headliner in front above the sunglass holder. Confident this is where it is coming from.

8. Rattle near sunroof area further back from the front rattle.

9. Rattle coming from rear cargo area at headliner somewhere around the rear speaker.

10. Rattle in rear cargo door behind panel.

11. Loose screw or other part loose in the front passenger door causing rattle. You can open the door and shake it to hear the loose part rolling around in the bottom of the door.

12. Clip on the drivers floor mat came off for the second time. The first time I found it and reattached it. The second time (a year later) it came off at some point and I could not find it.

13. Shift to park warning comes on almost every time you get into the vehicle http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375462&highlight=Shift+park

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It has been a little over a year with my 2013 Explorer Limited and I am just now making the time to take it in for a variety of issues I am having with the vehicle (I hope my local dealer has loaners). I have a feeling I am going to get some blowback on some of these items (We can't reproduce the problem......) I like our Explorer for the most part but these little quality issues leave me somewhat sour. So much so that I have been delaying purchasing a F-150 and looking into the new GMC Sierra. Here is the list I have accumulated thus far:

1. Recall - Fuel System

2. Suspension squeaking over speed humps on front drivers side. Been this way since delivery. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3145262#post3145262

3. 2nd row passenger side seat belt plastic insert inside the male portion of the buckle has been broken since delivery but did not seem to impede normal operation until there were a few times that it would not lock in.

4. 2nd row seat plastic broken on the bottom of the seat – The day we took delivery I found a broken off triangular plastic piece on the floor. I could not find where it came from at the time. The back of the 2nd row seat carpet was always wrinkled since delivery, I just thought it was poor fit and finish. While cleaning something under the 2nd row seat I saw where that plastic piece came from. When you fold up the small seat, you can see where it is broken under the larger side of the seat, this is also what is causing the wrinkled carpet because it is where the carpet is held in.

5. Passenger seat moves or slips at times under acceleration. Kind of like a manual seat that is not locked in.

6. Rubber seal between the front and back doors (both sides) is cracked all the way through in areas – It was like this only a month after delivery.

7. Rattle coming from headliner in front above the sunglass holder. Confident this is where it is coming from.

8. Rattle near sunroof area further back from the front rattle.

9. Rattle coming from rear cargo area at headliner somewhere around the rear speaker.

10. Rattle in rear cargo door behind panel.

11. Loose screw or other part loose in the front passenger door causing rattle. You can open the door and shake it to hear the loose part rolling around in the bottom of the door.

12. Clip on the drivers floor mat came off for the second time. The first time I found it and reattached it. The second time (a year later) it came off at some point and I could not find it.

13. Shift to park warning comes on almost every time you get into the vehicle http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375462&highlight=Shift+park
That's some list. I'd be very curious to find out if they actually take the headliner out to check for the rattles.
Unless you have the ESP, don't count on a loaner. As noted in your Warranty Guide, Ford is not obliged to provide a rental/loaner. If you dealer does give you one, it will be at their expense.
Good luck.

Peter

That's some list. I'd be very curious to find out if they actually take the headliner out to check for the rattles.
Unless you have the ESP, don't count on a loaner. As noted in your Warranty Guide, Ford is not obliged to provide a rental/loaner. If you dealer does give you one, it will be at their expense.
Good luck.

Peter
You saying you should get a loaner if you have ESP?

Bitter...party of one....Bitter? Your table is ready.....

The Ford ESP provides for rental coverage up to 10 days for a covered repair.

http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/ESPPage

Peter

There are 2 types of rental coverage in the US (not sure if it's the same in Canada).

First is $30 per day for up to 30 days

Second is $50 per day for up to 10 days.

$30 gets you the cheapest econo car (corolla, fiat, civic, juke etc) as MOST rental companies will drop there rates down just under $30 for the dealer so the customer doesn't pay anything.

There are 2 types of rental coverage in the US (not sure if it's the same in Canada).

First is $30 per day for up to 30 days

Second is $50 per day for up to 10 days.

$30 gets you the cheapest econo car (corolla, fiat, civic, juke etc) as MOST rental companies will drop there rates down just under $30 for the dealer so the customer doesn't pay anything.
Thanks for jumping in and clarifying. I just quickly checked the Internet. I'm assuming it is the same here.
Thanks again.:thumbsup:

Peter

It has been a little over a year with my 2013 Explorer Limited and I am just now making the time to take it in for a variety of issues I am having with the vehicle (I hope my local dealer has loaners). I have a feeling I am going to get some blowback on some of these items (We can't reproduce the problem...

Hi Xcel,

I want to alert your regional customer service manager to your concerns so they can assist with getting them resolved. To make this happen, send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership. I'll get this into their hands.

Crystal

Just picked up the vehicle from the dealership after leaving it with them all week. I am somewhat satisfied with what has been done so far. Unfortunately they are not done and actually created a new minor issue. I am somewhat surprised that they were able to recreate all of the issues (except for one rattle which I had to take a ride with the foreman to point out)

They ended up finishing everything except items 3 and 4. I guess the plastic seat frame is on national back order for item 4 and they completely forgot to address the seat buckle issue (which I would think would be a top priority since it is a safety item).

The issue they created was when they performed the work on item 2, they left the steering wheel off center when they realigned the front end. I have to hold the wheel at about 11:30 to drive straight. They should be able to address these issues when I bring it back once they get the needed parts for the seat.

I do want to publicly thank Crystal for her help on this. I believe her assistance has made this a much smoother experience than it otherwise would have been. Thank you

Grrrrrrr, put a few miles on the Explorer this morning and the headliner rattle is still there and there is a loud creaking that seems to be coming from somewhere behind the pedals when turning. Really disappointed that a $50,000 vehicle has all these issues. My Kia Sorento was put together better than this.

Took the vehicle back a week and half ago after the seat part came in. They had it for two days, fixed the seat, tried to center the steering wheel (still a little off but don't want to be too picky) and replaced the black "Do Not Remove" insert in the male portion of the buckle.
They however did not fix the buckles operation because if you buckle it once, release it and try to buckle it again, it will not work. You have mess with the female portion while pushing the button to get it to latch again.
They did not address the creaking steering/suspension issue or the headliner rattle at all. Neither issues are even mentioned on the invoice even though I gave them a printed list of all the issues when I left the vehicle.
After I spoke to Ford Cust. Service they called the dealer and the service manager told them that they had ordered a part for the seat belt and that is why the problem was not fixed. It says nothing about a part being ordered on the invoice nor did they mention it when we picked up the vehicle.
I feel like a internet crank now although I really don't mean to be one. I really just want everything to be fixed because I like the Explorer and really do not want to get rid of it. All these quality issues (and the difficultly getting them resolved) leave me wondering if there are others (engine, tranny, MFT) ready to rear their head once I am out of warranty.

Try a different dealer if you have that option. After the current one replaces the wheel they scratched on the last visit I won't be using them again. Granted they did pony up and order the wheel for their ##### up. I have another dealer that is 8 miles away vs the "scratch your wheels" dealer that is 25 miles away. Their service had to be REAL GOOD for me/wife drive that far for service.

Try a different dealer if you have that option. After the current one replaces the wheel they scratched on the last visit I won't be using them again. Granted they did pony up and order the wheel for their ##### up. I have another dealer that is 8 miles away vs the "scratch your wheels" dealer that is 25 miles away. Their service had to be REAL GOOD for me/wife drive that far for service.
Service is paramount! I have a dealer 2 miles down the road but got my Explorer from one 20 miles away due to 'service' reputation. So far I have not been disappointed.

Peter

Took the vehicle back a week and half ago after the seat part came in. They had it for two days, fixed the seat, tried to center the steering wheel (still a little off but don't want to be too picky) and replaced the black "Do Not Remove" insert in the male portion of the buckle.
They however did not fix the buckles operation because if you buckle it once, release it and try to buckle it again, it will not work. You have mess with the female portion while pushing the button to get it to latch again.
They did not address the creaking steering/suspension issue or the headliner rattle at all. Neither issues are even mentioned on the invoice even though I gave them a printed list of all the issues when I left the vehicle.
After I spoke to Ford Cust. Service they called the dealer and the service manager told them that they had ordered a part for the seat belt and that is why the problem was not fixed. It says nothing about a part being ordered on the invoice nor did they mention it when we picked up the vehicle.
I feel like a internet crank now although I really don't mean to be one. I really just want everything to be fixed because I like the Explorer and really do not want to get rid of it. All these quality issues (and the difficultly getting them resolved) leave me wondering if there are others (engine, tranny, MFT) ready to rear their head once I am out of warranty.

LOL, you aren't an internet crank if you are simply sharing your experiences. There are times when I felt like I was becoming one because of all the stuff that is going on with our car, but I decided there was nothing wrong with letting folks know what is going down with our Explorer. You never know who might pop up with a suggestion that helps the situation. I hope they get your Explorer fixed and the way it should be. We haven't had a lot of luck, but maybe your luck will be better :)

So after leaving 2 messages for the dealer's service manager and 2 calls to Ford Cust. Service who was going to follow up with the dealer, I have yet to receive a call back from anyone. It has been over two weeks now. I am being ignored (and I think lied to), great.

BTW I fixed the seat belt - The black piece that was missing from the male portion of the buckle was stuck inside the latch, easily pulled it out with a small screwdriver. All they had to do was look. What is this mysterious part they had to order to fix the problem?

Service is paramount! I have a dealer 2 miles down the road but got my Explorer from one 20 miles away due to 'service' reputation. So far I have not been disappointed.

Peter

Hey Peter,

Which dealer '2 miles down your road' did you decide to snub? Just asking because I'm in the Ottawa area as well and the couple of times I went to Donnelly on Bank, they've been great. Hope it isn't that one.

Hey Peter,

Which dealer '2 miles down your road' did you decide to snub? Just asking because I'm in the Ottawa area as well and the couple of times I went to Donnelly on Bank, they've been great. Hope it isn't that one.
Fear not. Both are outside of the city. Went with Dupuis Ford Lincoln in Casselman. Although they are now owned by Jim Keay, they continue to operate as a family run business/dealership and have since 1949. The closer one is Embrun Ford.

Peter

Back