Just Got My explorer and Need help with the following | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just Got My explorer and Need help with the following

lancer5717

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer V8 EB
I just got my 98 Ford explorer and i need help With the following:

1. The engine seems to have a knock in it wich is the valves or the rocker arms i am guessing. I need to know how to Fix that.

2.I cant seem to get the fuel filter off so does anybody know how to get it out so i can replace it.

3. I need a diagram of the fuse box cuz i have no idea what fuse goes to what.

4. The transmission seems to slip whenever i am in 4th gear and i step on it and when it changes into 5th gear it slips. Does anybody know how i should go about fixing that issue?

5. The stereo works however the actual display on the stereo doesnt work or light up. Does anybody know how to fix that problem?

Thank you very much for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just got my 98 Ford explorer and i need help With the following: See red below for comments on a couple of these.

1. The engine seems to have a knock in it wich is the valves or the rocker arms i am guessing. I need to know how to Fix that.

2.I cant seem to get the fuel filter off so does anybody know how to get it out so i can replace it. Needs a special disconnect tool, available in any auto parts store. It will be VERY frustrating the first time you do it!!

3. I need a diagram of the fuse box cuz i have no idea what fuse goes to what. Owner's manual or maybe Haynes manual.

4. The transmission seems to slip whenever i am in 4th gear and i step on it and when it changes into 5th gear it slips. Does anybody know how i should go about fixing that issue?

5. The stereo works however the actual display on the stereo doesnt work or light up. Does anybody know how to fix that problem? Common problem; do a search. There is a place you can send the radio off to have display replaced that is supposed to be pretty reasonable.

Thank you very much for your help!

Good luck.

If your vehicle is indeed a '98 with the V8 engine, it will have the 4R70W transmission, which (as the first character in its name indicates) is a four-speed.

1. Possibly the hydraulic lifters? Even if they're a bit noisy they should be fine for awhile. Otherwise just try fuel system cleaner and frequent (3000 mile) oil changes to try to remove deposits.

3. Fuse diagram is listed on pages 138-143 of the manual (available on Ford's website in PDF form if you don't have it)

5. Display circuit board overheated; common issue on these radios. It can be re-soldered or replaced, but I decided to just replace my head unit with an aftermarket one.

The fuel filter is a PAIN! I wouldn't recommend using the plastic disconnect tools. Buy the aluminium one, that is what I used. The plastic tools just break. If your fuel filter is like mine was, the fuel line is rusted to the fuel filter. Here is what I did, use the disconnect tool, and once you get it to disconnect, I used the claw of a hammer to grip the line and pull it off. BECAREFUL if you do it this way! You don't want to break the line or bend it.

ALSO, please relieve the fuel pressure on both sides of the fuel filter. I just changed mine 2 weeks ago, and only relieved pressure after the filter, so when I took the line off on the rear side, a lot of gas came out, and stupid me, it came out on my face so I rolled on my side to get away, and the gas went into my ear. Let me tell you something, WORST PAIN YOU WILL EVER FEEL IN YOUR LIFE! I was in severe pain in that ear for 30 minutes. Punched a dent in the garage door, called 911 and nothing can be done cept rinsing it out! Anyway enough of my life story, all you gotta do to relieve pressure on the rear side is take of the gas cap, on the front side, I pulled the fuel pump relay and started my truck and let it run till it died. Then use the schrader valve (I spelt that wrong) to release the rest of the pressure :)

Slight revive, that was my brother posting on my behalf. I recently acquired the truck for relatively cheap as my going to work/school vehicle. (I've wanted a Explorer since my mom had a 92). And I took it into the DMV got it ALMOST registered, just needed to SMOG it. Well I took it in for that and It failed because the CEL is on, but the bulb is either burned out, or taken out. I ran the OBD2 scan there and came back with just one code. The ####ing dreaded P0171. System too lean on bank 1. Well I started researching furiously.

I have a clean MAF sensor, no vacuum leaks that I CAN TELL. I can't find the PCV valve for my life btw. I'm still new to the truck and engine world.

I think it's a bad O2 sensor, but I can't be sure. I have a new fuel filter to put it, i tried and rage quit every time because it's the dumbest thing ever to change. It runs great, apart from the engine knock, which I have yet to figure out. Any clues? And it doesn't catch when I push her to 3,000RPM it feels like it slips. Any clues? Also, after I changed my oil, a leak became rather noticeable.

I'd like any help fellas. Just a kid who doesn't have a lot of cash trying to get a foot into the world.

A few pics coming in.

They are massive, so I'm just giving the links.

https://hostr.co/file/3rKfOKEHombL/20131026_135940.jpg -Engine

https://hostr.co/file/EMB1hGeJ39a9/20131101_130356.jpg -Fuel Filter

https://hostr.co/file/48hkoYfepwya/20131026_140142.jpg -The leak in question

https://hostr.co/1O3sp52J1lxS - Discovered that upon getting right underneath, no idea what it is coming from honestly.

https://hostr.co/file/qnYOqCUGNXkb/20131106_191016.jpg - Taken tonight, that is mostly oil from the oil change, except the darker spot. It's fresh.

https://hostr.co/file/uawMSDaabmZn/20131029_170436.jpg - The truck I bought from the outside

Thanks guys, any help is appreciated.

looks like the leak could be the rear main seal. Check the oil every drive and see how much it loses. Or could be coming from the trans its hard to tell by the pics.

the pcv valve on the v8 is on the extreme rear of the engine behind the intake plenum, just left of center (if you're facing the front of the truck). you can just see it from the passenger side, but it's very difficult to change. i have 3 i'd like to change, but as i have no negative symptoms at the moment i'm not messing with them.

The fuel filter is by far the most aggravating component, although the DPFE sensor runs a close second.

If you've never replaced that type of filter before, there is a steep learning curve as you've related to. However, once you get the tool just right and the line pops off, you'll discover how easy it really is. Its almost like telling someone how to ride a bike. You can't learn from hearing or seeing it...you just have to do it yourself.

The fuel filter is by far the most aggravating component, although the DPFE sensor runs a close second.

If you've never replaced that type of filter before, there is a steep learning curve as you've related to. However, once you get the tool just right and the line pops off, you'll discover how easy it really is. Its almost like telling someone how to ride a bike. You can't learn from hearing or seeing it...you just have to do it yourself.
Tell me about it. I released the fuel pressure on one side. (Totally forgot to vent my gas cap) so when I got one side off i got a chest full of gas and fumes. I was pissed. Then the second part wouldn't come off, i got so frustrated I said #### it. Put it back on. Going to have a friend of mine install it, he is good with that kind of stuff.

I really hope its not the pcv now. Anyway to take a pic for me of its location?

Also, the leak is i believe coming from the top of the oil pan in the picture, i just don't know where it goes from there. And what is that seal above the o2 sensor? Anyone know?

1) The pressure inside the fuel tank has nothing to do with the pressure in the fuel lines. By the way, there should be very little overpressure in the tank. If you hear loud pressure releasing when taking off the gas cap, there is something wrong with the evaporative control system. If air is rushing in, the gas cap is bad.

2) Prying the fuel filter out of that monster clip will allow you to rotate it, which, with the tool inserted into the garter spring, will loosen the rust and dirt and make things a lot easier to release. At least that's my experience...

3) The rubber plug above the O2 sensor in your photo is the cover over the torque converter housing access hole. Pry it out, look inside, and it will give you a better idea about your oil leak. If there is a lot of engine oil (not transmission fluid) inside the TC housing, the likely culprit is the engine's rear main seal. It would take removing the transmission to repair it. You may also use this access port for draining the torque converter when changing transmission fluid.

Tell me about it. I released the fuel pressure on one side. (Totally forgot to vent my gas cap) so when I got one side off i got a chest full of gas and fumes. I was pissed. Then the second part wouldn't come off, i got so frustrated I said #### it. Put it back on. Going to have a friend of mine install it, he is good with that kind of stuff.
Also, the leak is i believe coming from the top of the oil pan in the picture, i just don't know where it goes from there. And what is that seal above the o2 sensor? Anyone know?

1) The pressure inside the fuel tank has nothing to do with the pressure in the fuel lines. By the way, there should be very little overpressure in the tank. If you hear loud pressure releasing when taking off the gas cap, there is something wrong with the evaporative control system. If air is rushing in, the gas cap is bad.

2) Prying the fuel filter out of that monster clip will allow you to rotate it, which, with the tool inserted into the garter spring, will loosen the rust and dirt and make things a lot easier to release. At least that's my experience...

3) The rubber plug above the O2 sensor in your photo is the cover over the torque converter housing access hole. Pry it out, look inside, and it will give you a better idea about your oil leak. If there is a lot of engine oil (not transmission fluid) inside the TC housing, the likely culprit is the engine's rear main seal. It would take removing the transmission to repair it. You may also use this access port for draining the torque converter when changing transmission fluid.

1) Appreciate that. I'll take a look next weekend. I won't have time this weekend with work and school, plus it's not my top priority on the truck.

2) I will keep that in mind. Thanks :)

3) Ok, is there a limit to the amount that I see in the TC once i look at it? And i'm pretty sure it's oil. I hope it's not that but, how long before I really have to get it fixed? Because that will cost some labor dollars. I just changed my tranny fluid and filter, but didn't open that port, because i was unsure of what it was. Sorry im still trying to learn about this stuff.

I really appreciate it though

Other than making a stink from being cooked on the exhaust tube or the catalytic converter, there is probably not much harm in letting some oil drip from the rear seal or anywhere else in your engine -- as long as it's not massive, and you keep it topped up.

I should have been a bit more clear about that access hole at the bottom of the TC housing. In a properly maintained engine and transmission, there will be no fluid collecting inside that housing. Any fluid there indicates a leak. If it's transmission fluid, it could be the transmission pump. If it's engine oil, it's from the engine crank rear seal.

Your torque converter has a small threaded plug. If you turn the crankshaft to the correct position, you will see it. It can be removed to drain the fluid from the torque converter (where most of the tranny fluid is). If you just drop the pan, you are replacing only about 1/3 of the fluid.

Good luck with all your challenges!

3) Ok, is there a limit to the amount that I see in the TC once i look at it? And i'm pretty sure it's oil. I hope it's not that but, how long before I really have to get it fixed?

Other than making a stink from being cooked on the exhaust tube or the catalytic converter, there is probably not much harm in letting some oil drip from the rear seal or anywhere else in your engine -- as long as it's not massive, and you keep it topped up.

I should have been a bit more clear about that access hole at the bottom of the TC housing. In a properly maintained engine and transmission, there will be no fluid collecting inside that housing. Any fluid there indicates a leak. If it's transmission fluid, it could be the transmission pump. If it's engine oil, it's from the engine crank rear seal.

Your torque converter has a small threaded plug. If you turn the crankshaft to the correct position, you will see it. It can be removed to drain the fluid from the torque converter (where most of the tranny fluid is). If you just drop the pan, you are replacing only about 1/3 of the fluid.

Good luck with all your challenges!
After closer inspection, my oil levels are great. It's a oil leak, not transmission. That's not to dire? I has quite a bit of sludge buildup, what can I use to clean that up? Also, my transmission fluid is red ish, and sweet smelling. But, I only dropped the pan, didn't know about the other 1/3 in the TC. But, I will try and get the plug out soon and look.

Any answer for the engine knock? IF needed I can upload a vid to youtube for understanding.

Sludge/knocking: Unless the sound is from the bottom (where it would indicate damaged bearings), I suspect that the sludge buildup plugged a hydraulic lifter. If there is no further damage, a couple oil changes with synthetic may free it up. It may be worth to check compression to get a better idea. If you find a cylinder with low compression, the camshaft has probably been damaged already, and it will be an expensive repair. I would also check oil pressure (with a mechanical gauge) to get an idea about the general condition of your engine. It may not be worth spending any money on an engine with significantly low oil pressure.

After closer inspection, my oil levels are great. It's a oil leak, not transmission. That's not to dire? I has quite a bit of sludge buildup, what can I use to clean that up? Also, my transmission fluid is red ish, and sweet smelling. But, I only dropped the pan, didn't know about the other 1/3 in the TC. But, I will try and get the plug out soon and look.

Any answer for the engine knock? IF needed I can upload a vid to youtube for understanding.

Anybody help with a possible diagnosis with that noise?

Having a buddy on Thursday or Sunday come up and replace my o2 sensors, fuel filter, check for Vacuum leaks and inspect my oil leak for that p0171 code.

Need to be able to get it to pass smog so I can finish registering it.

Thanks guys

Sounds like a lifter tapping. Does it quiet down when the rpms come up, or does it just get faster?

You could try a thicker oil. If it turns out to be a lifter, it'll just be an annoying sound.

Are you burning oil? What do the plugs look like on that bank?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a lifter tapping. Does it quiet down when the rpms come up, or does it just get faster?

You could try a thicker oil. If it turns out to be a lifter, it'll just be an annoying sound.

Are you burning oil? What do the plugs look like on that bank?
It's quiet for the first couple mins after the engine starts, but I believe it gets faster as the engine RPMs go up. I used 10w 40, Valvoline maxlife when I changed it about a week and a half ago. The truck has 212k on it.

I do have a oil leak, as I posted a pic in a previous post. Also, I would have to check them out. What should I be looking for?

I hope it's a lifter. I get no engine performance impact, apart from that noise which is what is worrying me. I'm trying not to drive it until i figure it out. I just don't have the money to take to a shop ( Poor college Student here).

So im relying on friends and this excellent knowledge base here.

Back