Is anyone satisfied with their sport? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is anyone satisfied with their sport?

Almost eveyone on here loves ford explorers from gen 1 to gen 5. And if i was spending 38k -up on a car it better not have some cheap crappy issue that could have been avoided by ford not trying to save a dime so i understand why people are going to complain when a brand new car has paint already missing talk about there goes retail value

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So far I'm loving my 2014 Sport. No issues at all (knock on wood). Everything works as it should. However, I am disapointed with the fuel millage as its no where near what Ford advertizes. I can understand a 10% variance but mine is 30% short of what Ford advertises.

So far I'm loving my 2014 Sport. No issues at all (knock on wood). Everything works as it should. However, I am disapointed with the fuel millage as its no where near what Ford advertizes. I can understand a 10% variance but mine is 30% short of what Ford advertises.

Mileage estimates are based on the most conservative driving (55mph on flat highways and 25 on streets with stops at regular intervals)

That being said after a few hundred miles of transmission learning my mileage is right on par with EPA estimates when I drive conservatively (<75 on freeway and long coasting stops in city)

Thats all find and dandy. My last car a 2010 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 4.6L V8 that I traded in for the sport had very similar fuel efficiency ratings as the Explorer ( a bit better) yet you can not begin to compare the fuel efficiency of both of theses cars. The Genesis was pretty close to the ratings and the Explorer is no where near the ratings. The ratings are very close, the real fuel consumption is no where near close.

Mileage estimates are based on the most conservative driving (55mph on flat highways and 25 on streets with stops at regular intervals)

That being said after a few hundred miles of transmission learning my mileage is right on par with EPA estimates when I drive conservatively (<75 on freeway and long coasting stops in city)

Love my sport.
I do have a list of some small things for dealer on first visit, but nothing that's been worth making a trip for.

2014 Ford Explorer Sport -- Tuxedo Black

I feel I have to post my current experience with my brand new 14 sport. I have had the 14 Sport for about 8 weeks and am approaching 3,500 miles. I purchased the 2nd row buckets seats w/center console, dual moonroof, 401A package. I did not get the tow package (a mistake) nor did I get the lane-keeping system. The interior is black which I stressed over after I put the order in however when I saw the car I was deeply impressed. I have been averaging 15.5 city and 18.5 highway with a blend of 17mpg. This was expected as I did quite a bit of research. I debated to go with the Durango however gas mileage dropped considerably with the same powered engine and the Sport was, well sportier by far. I have been extremely pleased with this SUV and greatly enjoy driving around and expressing the power of the engine. No tickets yet!! It is everything I expected and more. I have packed the family utilizing all 3 rows my passengers were comfortable and enjoyed the experience. By the way I am not a employ nor am I related to anyone working for Ford. I have upgraded to HID headlights and fog lights 8000K, very happy with that. I have just ordered LED for the puddle lights, license plate and interior. Just installed the bumper protector and a carbon fiber license plate frame. As someone previously said not to much more to do to the vehicle as it comes pretty loaded. My big mistake was not adding the tow package however I am going to have one installed next spring. I just use it to haul bikes around town. I joined this site middle of the summer and have enjoyed the experience and all the knowledge I have learned. I just wanted to communicated my positive experience with the new 24 Sport.

I tend to be picky and when you spend 50K on a vehicle everyone should be ... many of the complaints here are simply because people that frequent boards are also picky and care where many that buy vehicles are amazed when it turns on and gets them to work..

There is nothing bad about being picky - it shows the manufacturers that if you like and trust a product you expect a level of service and quality..

Complaints here tend to make vehicles better in the long run unless the manufacturer does not care at all...

I tend to look at Ford as a mfg that actually listens... not always but more than others..

This is true. I've had a 2011. One of the first 10000. It had some glitches. Ford has fixed 90% of those. They are at least reactive to vehicle design. Better than most. My Sport is solid. No complaints. As a matter of fact. I'm going to go drive it right now!

I have had my '13 sport since February 2013. Have about 7.1k miles on it. It is my wife's everyday driver and our road car. Only issue so far is popped off CAC tube that dealer fixe promptly; and some wonky autolamp operation that cleared up with MFT upgrade (may be coiincidence). Mileage varies a lot in-town vs. on the road. Average all in is around 18 (60% city driving in Dallas including hot summer weather). We are very happy with the EX Sport. Too early to judge longevity. But for fun to drive and comfort, it is a winner. No regrets so far.

my 14' explorer sport takes me thru fields , into and out of lakes, jumps expressways with a single bound and this nice lady keeps telling me to make a u turn every 5 minutes..................ford should rebate $500 to anyone with the 1950's navigation system.

my 14' explorer sport takes me thru fields , into and out of lakes, jumps expressways with a single bound and this nice lady keeps telling me to make a u turn every 5 minutes..................ford should rebate $500 to anyone with the 1950's navigation system.
And people say the new gen Explorer isn't an off-roader!;)
I think the 1950's navigation system was a fold up one that you usually kept in the glove box. Even the 60's models that I had used the paper fold up nav system. For $500 you could get a very nice Garmin portable device. As I've mentioned before, mine has been solid for the 2 1/2+ years I've had it. I realize that doesn't help those that do have a problem with it, but many of us don't.

Peter

Like I mentioned before I'm pretty happy with my Explorer Sport and do not regret my decision to buy it. I also looked at the Durango and was almost ready to pull the trigger but the Sport is more sporty and more techy (and I can be a bit of a tech nerd). The things where the Explorer does fall short from my previous import vehicles is cost saving quality shortcuts. For instance while the front door interior is soft touch from the window down, rear doors are not (as they are hard plastic below the window). My wife's 2008 Kia Sorento is soft touch front and back (no shortcuts there).

So far the only thing that I believe Ford could have done better design wise is:

1. Put the damn fuse box so that its accessible without tools and bending over backwards.
2. Make the fuel tank bigger so that the range is more than 400 km in the city (I rarely can even get to 400 km on a tank in the city)
3. Make the spare tire well a bit deeper so one can hold a full size spare.
4. Bump up the quality of materials all around and bump up the fit and finish.

Overall I really enjoy driving this beast and am hoping I'll have years of trouble free driving to come.

Like I mentioned before I'm pretty happy with my Explorer Sport and do not regret my decision to buy it. I also looked at the Durango and was almost ready to pull the trigger but the Sport is more sporty and more techy (and I can be a bit of a tech nerd). The things where the Explorer does fall short from my previous import vehicles is cost saving quality shortcuts. For instance while the front door interior is soft touch from the window down, rear doors are not (as they are hard plastic below the window). My wife's 2008 Kia Sorento is soft touch front and back (no shortcuts there).

So far the only thing that I believe Ford could have done better design wise is:

1. Put the damn fuse box so that its accessible without tools and bending over backwards.
2. Make the fuel tank bigger so that the range is more than 400 km in the city (I rarely can even get to 400 km on a tank in the city)
3. Make the spare tire well a bit deeper so one can hold a full size spare.
4. Bump up the quality of materials all around and bump up the fit and finish.

Overall I really enjoy driving this beast and am hoping I'll have years of trouble free driving to come.
I agree 100% on #1 . There is no way I can get at that location. As for #2 and #3 I doubt that will happen. Both those suggestions would result in added weight and a lower mileage rating for the vehicle. I really haven't had an issue with #4 . Fit and finish is very good in my vehicle. Again, bumping up the quality along with 2 and 3 would likely increase the cost of the vehicle as well.

Peter

Very happy with ours after a year of ownership. No problems of note. Ride is nice, and I really like the power on tap.

As mentioned by others, would prefer a larger fuel tank, as 19 gal is a bit small for an SUV (especially comparing to the 26 gal in the Cayenne).

Agree with larger tank comment... my 04 Murano has nearly a 22 Gallon tank - the Ex is considerably larger - one would imagine it had a tank at least around 20 Gallons. I bet this gets resolved when they do a complete redesign. I haven't had a full-size spare tire in a car for quite some time so I guess im used to the little donuts. Funny, some rides are now coming with inflate goo and compressors in place of spares... not sure if that is an industry trend or not but I guess if it is - maybe we should be happy with a freagin donut...who knows!

Fit and finish is very good in my vehicle. Again, bumping up the quality along with 2 and 3 would likely increase the cost of the vehicle as well.

Peter

Hi Peter. I must say that the interior fit and finish is pretty good on mine as well but the materials quality a specially the non soft touch door panels in the second row is a bit of a disappointment because other manufacturers don't do these shortcuts. Exterior fit and finish of body panels is not bad, but it definitely could be better as the spacing between panels varies more than other cars I've owned. For instance the lower black portion of my sport on the driver's side is perfectly aligned, on the passenger side there is a slight dip in the alignment between the front door edge and rear door. Its not terrible but its noticeable to someone who has a keen eye. These slight alignment issues are also visible on the lower weatherstripping on the rear door windows. They just don't flow quite straight and have a slight waviness to them. Terrible, not really but when compared to other vehicles they are noticeable.

Another thing I noticed the inside bottom of the doors where the door skin is stamped is unprotected where water can get in. On my wife's 2008 Kia Sorento all of these junctions are sealed and pained over where moisture and dirt can not get in. Little details, but at this price point where Ford is gunning for Acura and more luxury type vehicles with the Explorer Sport, these little details should be addressed. If Kia and Hyundai can look after these little details, Ford should also and I don't buy the argument that these things will increase the costs of the vehicle as other manufacturers seem to build cheap cars that have the details I'm talking about taken care of.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Explorer and enjoy every time I drive it. No regrets here for purchasing it a specially now that it snowed here and all wheel drive really shines. I think that it was a good choice for me and my family. However, I won't just praise it to no end when I did notice these little things that are inferior on it from other vehicles I've owned/own. Overall I'd recommend the Explorer Sport to anyone and have recommended it to my friends and coworkers.

I have an srt jeep and this is about the same with a tune but the sound of the srt is much meaner

I've managed to put about 1300 miles on my 3wk old 14' Ex Sport.

Thus far, only a few problems, none of which I have had time to work with a dealer on as of yet:

1. I get what I will coin "Speed Fume" in the cabin after a good acceleration run on the freeway. Doesn't really smell like exhaust, gas, oil etc but it is definitely connected to some sort of smell coming from the engine bay and easily repeatable and happens any and every time you do any sort of significant acceleration. Not super strong and I guess at the moment the "new car smell" covers it up still but that will pass and I will want to at least take it in to get documented. Hopefully I am not subjecting myself to cancerous fumes...

2. Sometimes the the tranny seems to get confused as to what gear it wants to be in for a split second every once and a while. It sort of feels like slipping but not quite. I haven't paid a ton of attention to this just yet as it is something I just noticed the other day. More info to follow on this one.

3. Dirty rims of wheels - as posted by another forum member - the ring around the edge of the rims is pretty bad from the dealer. Seems that whatever machine is mounting tires on these rims needs some adjusting. It's harder to get the scuffs off than I thought but I haven't spent a ton of time on this either.

4. Gas mileage sucks thus far, hopefully it gets better. Looks like I avg about 15mpg. I'm not the most eco minded driver but was hoping for around 18 since the bulk of my driving is freeway.

5. The range for the mykey fob seems to change with the wind in regards to being able to unlock the car by sliding my hand into the door handle area & using the touch pad to lock the car. I have been attempting to get in a habit of using those features rather than fishing my key out of my pocket or backpack to lock/unlock the car but I find using it that way to be inconsistent. I can walk up to the car, slide my hand into the handle and nothing happens. Take 1 step closer and then it works - then the next day, stand where I stood the previous day where it worked and then it wont work. Rinse and repeat for the locking pad. Cool feature but it doesn't really work well - for me.

Pros:
Thing handles really well considering its size. Turns flatter than my old Murano, nice acceleration(Even with the "speed fumes"!). Somewhat minimal turbo lag. Would like to see them squeeze another 35hp out of this drive train stock but save gas mileage by retarding drive train a bit in a normal mode and adding a performance mode button or selection to boost performance (at the potential loss of some mpg) in order to not loose EPA ratings...

I'm 6'9" and find it fairly comfortable to drive - Good amount of space up front, though I wish the dead pedal area was pushed a bit back further like many others have noted.

Great looking ride

Hauls me and my crap wherever I want to go - in style.

Positive and Negative - I like the whole MFT deal - working radio, phone and temp controls is fine. I highly prefer Google Maps for navigation as it is literally 100% faster at taking verbal direction and just working instead of going through what seems like 10 prompts before you even get to a point where you tell it where you want to go. Example. "Hi Google" --- "Navigate to Toms Taco Shack in Concord". 8 times out of 10, it will launch navigation to that location and I'm on my way in about 15 seconds or less. To do the same on MFT - "Push Voice Button" --- "Navigation" --- "Destination" --- "POI" --- "city" --- "Concord" --- "Toms Taco Shack" --- then it NEVER gets the location right the first time - have to pick from a list of 4 --- "Line 3" - Check if its right - push button --- "Set Destination"

Cons:

Middle 2nd row seat is sort of a joke. 3 Avg sized girls back there and the one in the middle "seems" 4 inches taller than the other two and the seat belts dig into her behind on both sides - just awkward. I'm not sure how any normal sized teen or adult sits in the middle for any extended length of time. That makes this a 6 seater to me...

Not enough lighting in the interior of the car at night

HIDS should be standard on SPORT or at least standard as a part of the 401whatever package. Silly omission on the part of Ford.

Would like to see adjustable sport/offroad suspension option

Not really a con of ford but the dealer I used -
They "detailed" the car prior to delivery to me (I got it the day after it was shipped to them) and caused a wealth of swirl marks that I need to remove - especially on the plastic pieces. Annoying!!!

So all in all, I am pleased with the ride. I am concerned to find out what the fume deal is about as that has the potential to be a really big deal. I have to assume that if it was "really" dangerous Ford legal would have mandated that a fix be made to help mitigate potential huge losses due to lawsuits but you never know. Maybe they take the view of ignoring it and hoping it goes away. IF someone can prove these fumes that so many of us can easily show it could be a really big deal...hoping it doesn't come to that. All the other things are minor annoyances that all total don't worry me too much overall. I am still in the honeymoon phase with the ride SO that perspective may change with time.

If I had to grade it, I'd say a Solid B

-BigReg

CalifLove-
Seen your post and I hope this isn't the problem for you, but figured I would let you know anyhow...

I bought our 2013 Ford Explorer Limited edition March 2013. I instantly fell in love with this car and everything about it. It was my first ever new car, so I was beyond excited. Well, after having it for a couple months the excitement turned into worry. I started noticing a exhaust/sulfur smell coming into the cab of my car, when I would accelerate into passing gear around 60-65 mph. The smell would happen with windows up, sunroof closed. If I opened the sunroof or window the smell would increase so badly it is nauseating. When I turned on my recirculate it would disappear.

I took it into the dealer and told them they need to get on the on ramp to the interstate and increase speed quickly. Well, of course they can't smell it. The dealer said, "We think it could be your manifold gasket and it's covered under your warranty, so we can go ahead order the part and have it fixed." They ordered the part, and I took it in last week for them to fix. I was hopeful it was going to fix the problem. Well, I left the dealer and got about 2 miles down the road, and the "smell" was back. It also continued to have a exhaust tick when cold. I was beyond frustrated!! When I got home my husband who is mechanically inclined decided to check the seal of the rear hatch using vasoline, Yes! Vasoline! It showed that the hatch was sealing perfectly, so that eliminated that problem. We also tried duck taping the back vents behind the 3rd row seating thinking maybe the smell was being pulled in there. NO luck!
Well, that night feeling very frustrated thinking I have a brand new vehicle paying a good amount of money for, and it is unsafe for my children and family. These fumes are not safe, they give me a headache and make me feel sick. I called Ford Motor Company and opened a case. They advised me to call the dealer back and set up to take it back. So, I did, and it is set to go in tomorrow (Monday Nov. 11th). They asked if they could keep it for 2 days, and I told them no, unless you give me a rental, so I can go to work. They said, "We use enterprise and it's $40 a day for a rental." I told them I am not paying for a rental when you guys can't fix my car, and I am driving something unsafe for my family. So, we agreed to it going in for a day, and we would go from there.
Yesterday morning, my husband jacked my car up first thing in the morning, so it was cold. He sprayed the exhaust manifold at the gasket area with soapy water and started engine, bubbles seeped from gasket and manifold flange until manifold warmed up. Gasket leaks after warmed up, when engine is under load. The gasket is leaking about 10 inches away from the AC drain tube. I am thinking the fumes are entering cab through that tube, and entering vents. He also noticed that 2 bolt holes in manifold are missing fasteners near area leaking.
Unfortunately, sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands to diagnose. I have pictures of the bolts missing I will try to post with this. When we bring it to the dealer in the morning we will be basically telling them WHAT they need to fix. I am sure they will need it for more than a day, and I need a car, so we will see how customer friendly they are with giving me a rental if needed.
I have to say I bought Ford for a few reasons...One, they took no bail out, and two, they are built in America which was important to me. Now, I am not sure if that was the correct option. I will keep update after tomorrow to let you all know what happens. I see a lot of people complaining of the same problem and was hoping it might help someone else.

CalifLove-
Seen your post and I hope this isn't the problem for you, but figured I would let you know anyhow...

I bought our 2013 Ford Explorer Limited edition March 2013. I instantly fell in love with this car and everything about it. It was my first ever new car, so I was beyond excited. Well, after having it for a couple months the excitement turned into worry. I started noticing a exhaust/sulfur smell coming into the cab of my car, when I would accelerate into passing gear around 60-65 mph. The smell would happen with windows up, sunroof closed. If I opened the sunroof or window the smell would increase so badly it is nauseating. When I turned on my recirculate it would disappear.

I took it into the dealer and told them they need to get on the on ramp to the interstate and increase speed quickly. Well, of course they can't smell it. The dealer said, "We think it could be your manifold gasket and it's covered under your warranty, so we can go ahead order the part and have it fixed." They ordered the part, and I took it in last week for them to fix. I was hopeful it was going to fix the problem. Well, I left the dealer and got about 2 miles down the road, and the "smell" was back. It also continued to have a exhaust tick when cold. I was beyond frustrated!! When I got home my husband who is mechanically inclined decided to check the seal of the rear hatch using vasoline, Yes! Vasoline! It showed that the hatch was sealing perfectly, so that eliminated that problem. We also tried duck taping the back vents behind the 3rd row seating thinking maybe the smell was being pulled in there. NO luck!
Well, that night feeling very frustrated thinking I have a brand new vehicle paying a good amount of money for, and it is unsafe for my children and family. These fumes are not safe, they give me a headache and make me feel sick. I called Ford Motor Company and opened a case. They advised me to call the dealer back and set up to take it back. So, I did, and it is set to go in tomorrow (Monday Nov. 11th). They asked if they could keep it for 2 days, and I told them no, unless you give me a rental, so I can go to work. They said, "We use enterprise and it's $40 a day for a rental." I told them I am not paying for a rental when you guys can't fix my car, and I am driving something unsafe for my family. So, we agreed to it going in for a day, and we would go from there.
Yesterday morning, my husband jacked my car up first thing in the morning, so it was cold. He sprayed the exhaust manifold at the gasket area with soapy water and started engine, bubbles seeped from gasket and manifold flange until manifold warmed up. Gasket leaks after warmed up, when engine is under load. The gasket is leaking about 10 inches away from the AC drain tube. I am thinking the fumes are entering cab through that tube, and entering vents. He also noticed that 2 bolt holes in manifold are missing fasteners near area leaking.
Unfortunately, sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands to diagnose. I have pictures of the bolts missing I will try to post with this. When we bring it to the dealer in the morning we will be basically telling them WHAT they need to fix. I am sure they will need it for more than a day, and I need a car, so we will see how customer friendly they are with giving me a rental if needed.
I have to say I bought Ford for a few reasons...One, they took no bail out, and two, they are built in America which was important to me. Now, I am not sure if that was the correct option. I will keep update after tomorrow to let you all know what happens. I see a lot of people complaining of the same problem and was hoping it might help someone else.

Thanks KS81,

I (and I suspect many other owners) appreciate the info. Thankfully the fumes I experience do not sound nearly as strong as what you describe. It comes and goes pretty quickly. Definitely some good detective work on your guys part to try and track down the issue. I am making an appointment for the week after next (leaving on vaca soon) to have this issue amongst a few others checked out. I am hoping to schedule it so that I can simply drive the car on a normal route where the "smell" is easily reproducible. Funny, we can get fumes on demand - Ford should go to market with that! lol.

In other news, I washed and waxed the ride this weekend and was able to pay good attention to the wheels - I DO have what looks like chips of paint on the black part of the wheels EXACTLY like what was described on this forum... SIGH. Hope to get that fixed and hope they don't give me some BS like it's somehow my fault...we shall see.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi gang,

I'm thrilled to see all of the Explorer love on this thread! As a reminder, should you encounter any issues, I'm here to do what I can to help. Feel free to reach out to me via PM if you have any questions or concerns; it's helpful to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Crystal

Back