• Register Today It's free!

Glasspack on my V6 Explorer

Explorer0204

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer XLT
Hey guys. I decided to put a 20in Thrush glasspack on my Ex.

I would like some of your opinions on it because I am on the fence if I want to keep it or go back to stock. It isn't a bad sound, just don't know that it was quite what I was looking for.

I know in the end all that really matters is if I like it, but I would just like to hear some of your opinions.

Thank youuuu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D58tbAx2Uew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4.0L SOHC tends to have a higher pitched tone above 2000 RPM's. To get a deeper V8 sound is difficult because of harmonics, smaller engine displacement, etc. The Dynomax SuperTurbo has the lowest note I've heard with the 4.0L SOHC, but it's also one of the quietest performance mufflers available. The Magnaflow and Gibson sound clips above sound good, but those are both V8 engines, completely different animal and sound.

The 4.0L SOHC tends to have a higher pitched tone above 2000 RPM's. To get a deeper V8 sound is difficult because of harmonics, smaller engine displacement, etc. The Dynomax SuperTurbo has the lowest note I've heard with the 4.0L SOHC, but it's also one of the quietest performance mufflers available. The Magnaflow and Gibson sound clips above sound good, but those are both V8 engines, completely different animal and sound.
Yeah, I realized that after I posted. Sorry about that.

Should look into the Flowmaster Super 40 for the SOHC 4.0 V6. Has a great sound to it.

Should look into the Flowmaster Super 40 for the SOHC 4.0 V6. Has a great sound to it.

I tore the glasspack off couldn't stand the Hondaness of it!!

It just don't sound like the straight pipes on my Harley thats for sure (not that I expected it to lol)

Have you heard the Flow 40 in person? I am hesitant to mess with it any more now in fear of just wasting more money.

I had a cherry bomb glass pack on my 4.0 and hated it. Sounded terrible and lost some power. Ripped it off and put a flowmaster 40 series on and love it. For a 4.0 it sounds pretty dang good. Low rumple at idle and Chrisp when ya step on it. Get the 40 series!

My son had the Flowmaster on his 4.0 and I thought it sounded great. Not loud, but with a nice low rumble at idle and a low growl at speed.

They're all going to sound a little hollow except the Dynomax Super Turbo like [MENTION=106710]swshawaii[/MENTION] mentioned. I had one on my 92 and it sounded great. Nice and low, but not too loud. I just put a Magnaflow on my 2010 v6 and it sounds like your glass pack. I didn't change the size of the pipe though, so that's part of the problem. Flowmasters are even more of a hollow sound that the Magnaflow. I'm going to swap it out for the Dynomax Super Turbo the first chance I get.

Of course these are my opinion from what I've had on my trucks. Four different 4.0 RBVs.

I bought a Thrush Welded Muffler Which is a similar design and looks the same as a flowmaster , sounds pretty good to me , esp for $40 New . I did not have a muffler on mine for almost 8 years and it was a night/day difference in sound and off line performance after bolting on the thrush . I've also heard the Magnaflow sounds beter than most . but Like others have said , Try what you think will sound good and go from there ! .

I bought a Thrush Welded Muffler Which is a similar design and looks the same as a flowmaster , sounds pretty good to me , esp for $40 New . I did not have a muffler on mine for almost 8 years and it was a night/day difference in sound and off line performance after bolting on the thrush . I've also heard the Magnaflow sounds beter than most . but Like others have said , Try what you think will sound good and go from there ! .

Yea I hear ya. Just hate dumping money into something that may be a hopeless endeavor anyway. It aint a v8 and that's all there is to it! I'm not sure even the best system would satisfy me...

Back