7 seat conversion? can it be done!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

7 seat conversion? can it be done!?

redaxer

Reaction score
City, State
sydney, australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer xlt,
hi guys!,
i am wondering is it possible to swap out the 3rd row (6th and 7th seat) out of the same year explorer with out any problems.
i have a april build 2002 ford explorer and i can get my hands on a salvaged 2002 may build explorer, the only differences are that mine is a v6 5 seat xlt and the other explorer is a xlt v8 7 seat,

it has some front damage but i can get it for cheap, just wanting to know if i can change them over?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They will swap over, you will need the a lot of parts from the doner truck. You will have to swap the 2nd row of seats(they fold up), carpet, cargo area trim parts and of course the 3rd row. It can be done, you just can throw the 3rd row in and go.

Do it bro! And then you can use the rest of the donor to create a badass custom explorer trailer! :D

mmm, well i have black leather seats in my explorer, and the explorer that im bidding on has cloth seats, i dont really want to lose my 2nd seats, they already fold up? not sure, but i have seen only one explorer with the same thing i want to do, the donor explorer has been water damaged in the front half of the car but only the engine and two front seats are water damaged, the other half is fine, so far the auction has 1 day left and im the only bidder @ $200, so not that bad i guess? :D

thanks for all the replies! :)

by the way, once the 7 seat swap is done ill gut the engine bay on the donor car for the transmission and engine mounts and ill do a engine swap on my 4.0 to a 4 valve 5.4l v8 from a 2005 ford falcon gt, so far i think the engine mounts would be the same as a 4.6l but we shall see :) should be fun

my big question is, with the second row starter vehicle, do I need to change out the 2nd to get the third?
and IS EVERY HOLE already drilled and covered??

If you don't move the second row forward, there will be 0 footroom for the third row passengers. From what I've seen, yes, all 2002-2005 explorers have all the holes predrilled and covered with aluminum tape

Ok, now on to the next question, does the same row need to be the fold flats or can i keep the standard ones i have now in? Or was there a fold flat option for the second row?

If you have the 60/40 split second row, the third row passenger will have to crawl over the second row. Third row equipped vehicles either came with a bucket second row or 40/20/40 split and not only did they fold flap, either "40" also folded down and then pivoted up allowing access by foot to the third row

I have a lot of questions for you as you seem to be an expert on this conversion. I have the 60/40 installed as of now. If i where to get the third row could I just move the second row up to the next set of holes and install 3row or is it a MUST that the second row needs to be the 40/20/40? Also i would figure that the 40/20/40 has the same hole positions and use the same bolts as the 60/40 correct? Also on topo of all this is it truly necessary to get all the carpet and what not if i where to strip the back 2/3 of the vehicle and moved the 2nd row up and installed 3rd row and mounted the seat belts, would i have to put the interior all back or could I leave it just bare until i got more money to get the rest of the interior? And one more thing. I DO have the optional sub, do they have the panel for that also or am I going to loose that in this conversion?

Sorry for all the questions, trying to get the ducks in a row, on a budget, and as soon as possible cuz i need the room for 5 kids and 2 adults. If there is a way to contact you in more of a direct manner and you would feel comfortable i would like to do so to help me understand this more easily.

So update, i have purchased the third row and seat belts. View are here now. Update soon.

Ok so i really need your guys help. I looked at what my in laws brought up from phoenix. The place that i got the back seat was a junk yard that they pull the part you need. So i see the back of the seat and it seems that it is fully intact. I see the "butt seat" and there is just the padding. There is bound to be more right? Any pictures of the mounting brackets or what not they are called so i can send it to my guy. Need help bad. Thanks for the help.

well the day is drawing near. I have most all the parts to start the install on the third row. No I am not doing the second row at this time because of the lack of funds. I am needing to possibly get new plastic clips from Ford here soon then I will start in on it.

Pictures of what you have and removed may encourage some folks to help. I'll be straight with you - it's a bit hard to follow the incoherency of your posts.

I haven't done this kind of conversion before so I'm unable to chime in.

Good luck.

-Dubya

The butt part of the third row is just padding underneath. there are 2 black retainer clips pop into two precut holes in the body, then the seat latches in them.

I also hope you grabbed carpet out of the donor vehicle, as the carpet in your truck ends underneath the second row. If not, you will have bare body showing for the third row leg room.

Even though you are not swapping the second row, you will have to move the entire row forward to the pre drilled and covered holes in the body.

As far as those black seat retainer clips, i will check tomorrow at work (O'reilly auto parts) if that is something we carry.

EDIT: Did you get the "D" pillars in the very back? If not, you will have to cut slots in them for the seat belts to pass through.

So I did get the new "clips" from Ford. It seems to work out great. To answer questions, I had a two row 05 Explorer and turned it into a 3rd row Explorer.
I did not change the 2nd row at all, did not move it nothing.
no I didn't get the carpet, nor did I get the "D" pillars.
It was just a rough install and didn't need to look pretty.
Now for leg room, I was able to sit in the back rom and being 6' tall I had a smidge bit of room from my legs to back of 2nd row.
All we wanted it for was to tote 5 kids + wife and me. Sometime in the future we will worry about the "looking pretty" part but for now it is useful.

Does the 3rd row carpet come right off the second row ending?

Oh and to everyone or anyone that is looking to do this.... a rough install and not worried about looks.... I give it a easy rating. Coming from a rookie.

When your kids get bigger, you can move that second row forward. So In the d pillars, did you have to cut slits for the top of the belt to pass through? Also, did the seat belt tensioners fit behind the factory rear side panels?

And the carpet in a 3 seater goes from the firewall to the third row. I cut the carpeting out of the donor vehicle under the second row and overlapped it under the second row in my truck

When your kids get bigger, you can move that second row forward. So In the d pillars, did you have to cut slits for the top of the belt to pass through? Also, did the seat belt tensioners fit behind the factory rear side panels?

And the carpet in a 3 seater goes from the firewall to the third row. I cut the carpeting out of the donor vehicle under the second row and overlapped it under the second row in my truck

I'll take pictures for you all if you want. Just finished this swap on an 03.
The seat belt fit behind the driver side, but not the passenger side trim. I had to cut out a small portion of the trim.

If you're thinking about this and want a nice finished job, you will also need the shorter floor panel for the rear since that area is smaller with the third row.

It's a very easy swap, all the holes are there.

Now I just need to figure out wiring the new driver's seat, went from cloth, to Leather, heated, memory and the wiring diagrams suck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did the swap 3 years ago lol

Back