Car trailer on a 97 ex | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Car trailer on a 97 ex

For told is for warned-new guy here :)
sorry if this seems stupid but..

I have to transport a 97 crown vic (approx 3800 lbs) 140 miles. Planned on using an open car trailer (probably 1000 lbs) for a total of 4800.

Have axcess to a 97 explorer- 4.0 ohv, 4x4, 4 door with 3.73's. 140,000 miles, runs good. max tow 5600

Planned on getting a explorer reciever hitch from jy (the in bumper probably won't cut it:D) turn od off, load the trailer well, taking my time ect...

Any reason why this wouldn't work? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've done worse, sounds like a white knuckle day lol, braking will be sketchy and that poor trucks tongue is gonna be hangin out but its do able

Thoughts on engine braking? Probably try to keep tach under 3000 while slowing down (no 3 to 1 downshift, 3 to 2, 2 then 1)...

I don't know if I would do that extreme of engine braking. You might could shift into third going downhill but I don't think I would pull it down in the 2nd and 1stunless it was a really steep hill with sharp curves.

Do not do this unless you have functioning trailer brakes. Find a car-hauler trailer with surge brakes, and make sure they test them in front of you to be sure they are functioning. My dad did this years ago and had a swaying mess on his hands because the trailer started pushing him down a long grade, and he couldn't slow the rig. turned out the surge brake system was completely shot. Lucky to still be alive.

Back