Grinding noise while stopping | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Grinding noise while stopping

JeffsSport

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Anyone else have this issue of a grinding noise while braking which is more prominent the faster you are going when you hit the brakes. Almost sounds like worn out pads but my 13 Sport has way to little miles on it. Thought I would ask here before going to the dealer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unfortunately, distance isn't always the reason for brake pad wear.

Its easy enough to verify. Pull each wheel, and look through the "back" of the caliper and you can see the amount of pad left. You might also look for a clip that is bent enough to reach over and scratch on the rotor. Check your disks for gouges, too. (both sides of each disc)

I had the same issue with my 99 F150 after brake pad replacement. The fix was simply to re-scuff the discs, because the pads had glazed over instead of worn-in as they should have. That immediately took care of the noise. And, yes, the dealer did the work.

OK...I only have 6k miles on it. Looks like the dealer will try to fix it..

Unfortunately, distance isn't always the reason for brake pad wear.

Its easy enough to verify. Pull each wheel, and look through the "back" of the caliper and you can see the amount of pad left. You might also look for a clip that is bent enough to reach over and scratch on the rotor. Check your disks for gouges, too. (both sides of each disc)

+1. I've seen rocks or debris get caught between the pad and rotor also...but yeah, good suggestions here. Usually, if it's the wear indicator it will be more of a squeel then a grinding noise.

OK...I only have 6k miles on it. Looks like the dealer will try to fix it..

Let me know the verdict from the dealership, JeffsSport. You know how to reach me if you need me to step in and help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Back