Explorer Dead Pedal / Left foot rest. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Dead Pedal / Left foot rest.

2014 Explorer Sport Dead Pedal Area

Wanted to get everyone's opinion on the driver's side comfort. I think the seats are great, but the dead pedal area is terrible. Unless you have small feet, it seems like the carpet gets in the way for actually resting your foot there completely upright. Has anyone had any success with modifying this area? I love the Sport, but the narrowness of the foot well area is absolutely terrible. I find myself resting my left foot flat on the floor, which isn't all that comfortable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wanted to get everyone's opinion on the driver's side comfort. I think the seats are great, but the dead pedal area is terrible. Unless you have small feet, it seems like the carpet gets in the way for actually resting your foot there completely upright. Has anyone had any success with modifying this area? I love the Sport, but the narrowness of the foot well area is absolutely terrible. I find myself resting my left foot flat on the floor, which isn't all that comfortable.
Welcome to the Forum smootherton.:wavey:
As indicated in my PM, I have moved your post to this existing thread on the same topic.
I don't have an issue with the dead pedal but obviously in reading this thread, some members do.
Happy motoring. :):thumbsup:

Peter

It's a different driving position that my two prior Explorers, that's for sure. I have to say though that after a few weeks of driving, I became accustomed to the new position and I don't find it uncomfortable or even think about it any more.

The available relative positions of the steering wheel, seat, pedals, and dead pedal was one of the main reasons I bought my EX. I sat in several competitors of mid size SUVs and none were as good as the EX. I had been driving a full size Toyota Tundra, so I was used to space.
My wife’s Lexus RX 350 is a great vehicle, but the dead pedal is too close to the seat for my comfort and if I put my foot beside the dead pedal, it is behind the brake pedal.

I find that the footwell is OK but the lower seat cushion is HORRIBLE. The way the cushion is designed the raised portion of the center cushion where it drops down to the side bolster is too firm. due to seating position that "ridge" runs right under the center of the thigh and is actually painful for me. I wish there was a way I could get that remedied!

My only complaint with the 2016

Our last explorer was a 2006, so I'm not sure if this was an issue with the 2015 as well, but with the 2016 there is no friggn room for my left foot when driving. Wish I had 4-5" of space down there so I could slide the left foot towards the left of the car. Extremely irritating when driving.

Besides that we love that car.

Well, also wish the high beam were white rather than yellow, but I'm sure eventually that will be available aftermarket... :)

Already replaced the fog lights with LED's and they look great. Will soon be replacing the puddle lights and license plate lights with white LED's as well.

I agree this is uncomfortable.What I have done is bring my foot back towards the seat and rest the front 1/3 of my foot on the pad. This way my foot isn't turned in an awkward position. Just a suggestion.

If you're referring to the dead pedal on the left of the brake pedal that was changed in 2015 because of complaints from owners of previous model years. That's why the aftermarket all weather floor mats like Husky and WeatherTech were changed to fit the 2015.

If you're referring to the dead pedal on the left of the brake pedal that was changed in 2015 because of complaints from owners of previous model years. That's why the aftermarket all weather floor mats like Husky and WeatherTech were changed to fit the 2015.

What was the complaint, to much room? To me this is one more indication it is a socker mom cruiser and no longer a truck. I to came from a 2006 ex eb, next to a Windstar it was the second poorest vehical I have ever owned. The one thing I miss is that the back window does not open and makes it feel like a van, it was great to open the back window for the dogs to put their head out or to haul long items.

What was the complaint, to much room? To me this is one more indication it is a socker mom cruiser and no longer a truck. I to came from a 2006 ex eb, next to a Windstar it was the second poorest vehical I have ever owned. The one thing I miss is that the back window does not open and makes it feel like a van, it was great to open the back window for the dogs to put their head out or to haul long items.

Apparently it has to do with when the vehicle is moving forward the open back window creates a vacuum and pulls in the exhaust. Ironically the Explorer is doing that anyways.

I'm 6'1" and about a size 11 shoe. The only thing I find mildly annoying about the foot well is on the left side where the dead pedal is located. I wish it was a little deeper so I could stretch my left leg out farther. Really only an issue on longer drives. Heck, even my wife's Mustang has more room for my left leg/foot. Other than that it's a real comfortable ride, though. I have no issue with the length of the seat. Could it be a little longer? Yeah, but it's fine how it is. As others have suggested...go take a test drive and judge for yourself. Mine is a 2013, though. Maybe there's more foot well room in a '17? I don't know since I haven't driven one.

I am also a bigger guy, 6' 1" and size 13's and no real issues.

I have only had my Explorer Platinum for two weeks. My last vehicle was a Grand Cherokee. I noticed the cramped area for my left foot right away. When I rest it on the false pedal, it almost feels like it is under the brake pedal. Don't get me wrong. I love this Explorer and I expect it is just something that I will get used to over time. I agree with the suggestion to do a test drive and then decide.

I have only had my Explorer Platinum for two weeks. My last vehicle was a Grand Cherokee. I noticed the cramped area for my left foot right away. When I rest it on the false pedal, it almost feels like it is under the brake pedal. Don't get me wrong. I love this Explorer and I expect it is just something that I will get used to over time. I agree with the suggestion to do a test drive and then decide.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Has anyone made a fix for the left foot rest? New dead pedal?

I assume the dead pedal is part of the molded floor pan, and there’s something on the other side, which is why they didn’t add more legroom from the factory.

Has anyone made a fix for the left foot rest? New dead pedal?
Perhaps in the 2020 model. :dunno: As for myself, I never use it.

Peter

Back