Explorer Common Upgrades/Accessories | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Common Upgrades/Accessories

Reaction score
City, State
Port Perry, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Hope I am not duplicating a thread that someone already has going, but I didn't find anything in a relatively quick search.

What are the most common additions/upgrades or accessories people are adding to their EX's? I have a 2014 Sport coming soon and I am just wondering what most people are doing to them off the bat. Obviously some of this is personal preference but I would love to hear some of your ideas.

Cheers,

Brian:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will need these up there:

Mud flaps.
Ask to have installed for free before you take delivery of the car.

Floor liners - check out the pictures here by searching for floor liners.
Husky or Weathertech.

Hope I am not duplicating a thread that someone already has going, but I didn't find anything in a relatively quick search.

What are the most common additions/upgrades or accessories people are adding to their EX's? I have a 2014 Sport coming soon and I am just wondering what most people are doing to them off the bat. Obviously some of this is personal preference but I would love to hear some of your ideas.

Cheers,

Brian:thumbsup:
Welcome to the Forum CreativeAVtech.:wavey:
The first thing I put on my Limited was the small 2" convex mirrors. Even though I have the BLIS, I find those little mirrors very handy. Also added Husky liners for the first and second row and their cargo mat for the back. The splash guards/mud flaps were supplied and installed by the dealer at no charge as part of the deal.
If you are into actual modifications, go over to that forum and you will find more ideas;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175

Good luck with your soon to arrive Sport.:thumbsup:

Peter

Mud flaps, Rear bumper protector and Roof rack cross bars!

Shark Fin antenna (visual garage), floormats of course (I went weathertech), black overlays for the Ford ovals (I used www.dmb.uk.com), for Sports black lug nuts (Gorilla off Amazon). A lot of owners also swap the interior bulbs for LEDs. I've done some other stuff as well that is less common (remote access system, added a console vault, etc). Have fun making it your own!

Replace halogen bulbs with xenon.

Oh, and congrats on your upcoming Sport! We have had our a little over a year, and I still have fun driving it.

Great ideas everyone,

Once I take delivery on it I will certianly be knocking a few of these off the list.

Looking forward to hopefully having it before x-mas as it will certainly make it ALOT nicer to cart the young family around when compared to trying to fit everyone and everything into our current tiny wheels (Jeep Liberty Rene).

Thanks for the welcome :thumbsup:

Just yesterday I bought a 2014 Explorer Limited with bucket seats and adaptive cruise, dual moon roof, 20" polished Al wheels and all weather floor mats and the class III hitch and the 302A package
I already took delivery of the vehicle adn the dealer is 50miles away so its too late and inconvenient to ask the dealer to install the mudflaps. COuld anyone tell me if its easy to install the mudflaps myself and where i can buy those. I am also shopping for the rear bumper protector. Should I buy the OEM one or are there better non-OEM ones out there that offer better protection on the rear bumper cover.
Also, can anyone please confirm the receiver size on that hitch? is it 2"
I am looking to buy the Yakima Swingdaddy bike rack and want to make sure it fits
thanks

Just yesterday I bought a 2014 Explorer Limited with bucket seats and adaptive cruise, dual moon roof, 20" polished Al wheels and all weather floor mats and the class III hitch and the 302A package
I already took delivery of the vehicle adn the dealer is 50miles away so its too late and inconvenient to ask the dealer to install the mudflaps. COuld anyone tell me if its easy to install the mudflaps myself and where i can buy those. I am also shopping for the rear bumper protector. Should I buy the OEM one or are there better non-OEM ones out there that offer better protection on the rear bumper cover.
Also, can anyone please confirm the receiver size on that hitch? is it 2"
I am looking to buy the Yakima Swingdaddy bike rack and want to make sure it fits
thanks
Welcome to the Forum rman66.:wavey:

Here is just one thread on bike racks that I found. There are others.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379557&highlight=bike

I would have bought the BMC protector in place of the OEM had I known about it sooner.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334244&highlight=protector

I would also recommend getting either the Husky or WeatherTech digital floor liners. The are both superior to the OEM all weather mats. I chose the Husky because of its extra protection of the carpet by the door sill. I also got the rear cargo mat since I don't use the 3rd row seats and carry 'stuff' back there from time to time, in addition to the dogs.

Congrats on your new ride.:):thumbsup:

Peter

HID lights - 6k color, From coolbulbs

Winter floor mats - Husky...don't waste your money on those weathertech garbage...do some research on here and learn why the husky's are superior!

Sharkfin Antenna - Visual Garage, their website might still be messed up but they do take orders...just email them.

Philips 5LED strip DRL's. I'm in Canada...had dealer switch DRL's from headlight to side marker lights as on limited...to make up for the DRL's not being on the brighter headlights I add the Philips LED strips kit.

LED Projector backup bulbs - From ebay, same higher quality ones as another member here was recommending.

Proclip Mounting bracket - To hold my iPhone to sit upright, beside the MyFordTouch Screen.

A metal "3.5L TWIN TURBO" Emblem, to stick on right above the vehicles ecoboost emblem. - Got this off ebay, about 1"x7" in size

Sweet...

Order the Shark Fin yesturday, just sent an email and got an email back confirming they had my colour, followed by another email invoice. Exactly as described in the "Shark Fin" thread, all good.

Heading over to a local acc dealer in town that carrys both Husky and WeatherTech to check those out and likely order them also, since it seems it will be well into "winter" by the time my Ex arrives.

:thumbsup:

Back