axle / brake / hubs / lift all in one shot | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

axle / brake / hubs / lift all in one shot

aaron81006

Reaction score
City, State
Pueblo, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer XLT
I just got a smokin' deal on a Ranger lift kit that I'm going to put into my '93 Explorer. I also want to do the '95 Ranger four corner disk brake swap and manual hubs swap. My thought is to get the parts from the '95 (or buy a whole Ranger to part out myself). I think I have all the info I need for the front brakes but here's my question for the rear. Can I just get the Ranger rear end from the springs down and bolt it right in? If Ido this, I won't have to mess with the SOA conversion, I will have the brakes I want and the lift blocks that I just got will fit right in. Any thoughts? :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just got a smokin' deal on a Ranger lift kit that I'm going to put into my '93 Explorer. I also want to do the '95 Ranger four corner disk brake swap and manual hubs swap. My thought is to get the parts from the '95 (or buy a whole Ranger to part out myself). I think I have all the info I need for the front brakes but here's my question for the rear. Can I just get the Ranger rear end from the springs down and bolt it right in? If Ido this, I won't have to mess with the SOA conversion, I will have the brakes I want and the lift blocks that I just got will fit right in. Any thoughts? :usa:

it actually sounds perfect.....the ranger rear will have the perches ontop.

and you have the front lift already to go....how high in the front lift...??

is it coils...?? and arms...??? what does it contain...??

:salute:

Hi Tenny. The front is a 4" TTB RC lift with new coils and shocks all around. For the final height in the rear, because of the hybrid setup, I think I will have to play with the blocks and mod as nec to get a level ride.

Hi Tenny. The front is a 4" TTB RC lift with new coils and shocks all around. For the final height in the rear, because of the hybrid setup, I think I will have to play with the blocks and mod as nec to get a level ride.

well, explorers are sprung under....blocks wont work...

I thought you had it with the ranger rear and SOA...??

Any thoughts?
Not a BIG deal, but the Ranger axle will be 28 spline, a tiny bit 'weaker' than the Explorer's 31 spline axle. Just so you know...

Thanks the info, X.

Some rangers have an 8.8, which is fine, others have a 7.5.... which will snap like a twig. Shop smart.

You might consider ditching a Ranger rear end altogether and go ahead with a SOA. IMO it is much less work and retains all the strength of the 8.8 vs 28 spline and disc. Or swap in a disc Expo axle.

I just did the SOA and it was really pretty easy all things considered. I got new u-bolts and perches from Ruff Stuff and swapped the spring plates to retain the shock mounting. It was pretty slick. My friend welded the new perches for pizza and micro-brew.

My 2 penny's worth...

Hey all. I just did the front end and everything went super easy (easy is relative since I'm doing it all myself and wrenching everything). The only prob aim having is one of the bump stops is being stubborn. The PS came off real easy but the DS is a real bugger. The DS was a bolt but this side feels like a stud and nut and I can't get any wrench to fit.

I decided to keep the X axle and do the SOA. I'm breaking it down now but won't be able to have it done tonight 'cuz my perches are not here yet. Should be in tomorrow but I don't have much time on the weekdays. My brake conv'n may heave to wait until after Xmas but that's ok. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Back on the road. Yeah!! I finally got it all back together about two weeks ago. It turned out that the hardest part was the stupid leaf spring bushings. The first bolt came right just like it should. 2, 3 and 4, not so much. I struggled for a few hours trying to get the bolts out. Tried to find new bushings in town with no luck so went back to work on the bolts. I finally decided that my efforts were futile. I got out the grinder and the ipad. Cut the bolts and ordered new bushings. I would definitely recommend that anyone doing the SOA swap just plan on replacing them and order them up front. New bushings are always better anyway. I'll post some pic's as soon as I figure out how. I tried before but the ipad wouldn't let me insert more than one different pic. It would change the previous pic to the new one. If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be great. Happy New Year all!

98feeecc4eecd1757e7178df4e44e9ad_zps146af975.jpg

7f8d011b246557012ea48bb4e3ed7f69_zps928f0d06.jpg

8a745ff14b595290233132d0f36af301_zps4d527d15.jpg

b5d9756c8cc985f015e0458dc34ac56f_zpsf09389b9.jpg

Back