Adding Navigation Later | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Navigation Later

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In response to the headrests and how I wired them. I pulled most of the center console out around the media inputs and cig lighter area. I needed to get behind the media inputs. Once behind them I spliced in new female rca's that hang out of sight near the gas pedal. I basically made them that long so I could get to them without removing everything again. I couldn't go right into the existing inputs for one reason. If I did I couldn't close the little lid without cutting a relief for the wires to pass thru. Since I didn't want to cut anything I went the route I mentioned above. Hope this helps. It's very easy once you get at everything.

Think of the Igo system this way. Once it's all in and installed it is about the same cost as the factory nav. You know it will work and you are done. I was fortunate I was able to wrap that cost back into the small loan we took on the truck. We did everything at the time of purchase because my dealer was already using Auto Sound to install these systems for a few years. Trying to do it after the fact means you need to come up with the cash at the time of install. Only draw back is there are very few places that install these systems. I live in RI so I was lucky to have one close by that my dealer uses.

You can still do the y splitters or even go directly to the media without doing what I did. You wouldn't be able to close the little trap with a wire in the way but honestly I can't remember the last time I saw that little door closed. I put the trucks in the garage every nite and my wife never closes that cover....makes me wonder if the extra work was worth it to close a door that is always open.

I am so happy they put that media hub there. Running the sound thru that is so much better than an fm modulator. The fm modulator is always staticky and there is always bleed over from radio stations. When time allows I might use line converters to get around the modulator in the Mark LT. It's a 2007 with factory nav, but it doesn't have all the media inputs the newer cars do. Big difference a few years makes with technology...

I Wish Ford Still Made The Mark LT!!!!!!!!!

Ya I must agree that FM Modulation setup for sound is poorly engineered. Knowing the rigerous testing genuine Ford accessory products are put through Im very surprised that system made it through the testing.

My best advice to you is not get the NAV from Ford. Go with aftermarket and you will be happy. My experience with is had been very bad...its the basic things the cant get right. Between the Ford NAV and my Pioneer the Pioneer kicks its hiney a billion times.

adding navigation

No update yet, Fredridge. :(

Rebecca

Rebecca,
Could you please tell us here what is stopping Ford from enabling Navigation after the fact. If it is just a software and coding issue it should be as easy as ABC and moreover another $800 of profit.

Regards.
Denis

Rebecca,
Could you please tell us here what is stopping Ford from enabling Navigation after the fact. If it is just a software and coding issue it should be as easy as ABC and moreover another $800 of profit.

Regards.
Denis
I believe that licensing is also part of the issue.

Peter

well ladies and gents, i took the bait also. just purchased a pre-owned '13 limited with the impression from the dealer that nav could be added after the fact. Now after countless hours or googling and stumbling on this forum, it appears im SOL. Im more than a little dissapointed that a $40,000 truck doesnt have nav standard...let alone a add-on later.

Here is my thoughts though, does anyone know where the nav "app" is located in the explorer system? is it the APIM (the thing mounted on the back of the screen), or possibly the sync module (where the USB and SD inputs are).If i were to come across one of these from an explorer where the nav was unlocked, could i just interchange that part with mine and have nav?

guys and gals be patient. I am hearing of a aftermarket system for $400 that will require one small module and sd card and its coming soon. It sounds to good to be true, but if it is, Ford will kick themselves for the next 5 years over this.

would love to hear more about what you heard...

Just get the Igo nav system. My dad has a one of those large Bluebird bus rv's and just had an Igo installed and it is displaying on a 15" computer monitor that sits on the very large dash in this thing. It works awesome. They even wired the back up camera to work with the screen and it cuts off the nav and switches to the back up camera when the coach is put into reverse. Honestly if ford doesn't care about the concerns of all of us consumers just spend the money elsewhere and get a better system. Like I mentioned previously the mapping and functionality blows the ford system away anyways. Not to mention you can update it over the Internet unlike my Mark Lt that cost me $250 for an updated map disk off ebay.

well ladies and gents, i took the bait also. just purchased a pre-owned '13 limited with the impression from the dealer that nav could be added after the fact. Now after countless hours or googling and stumbling on this forum, it appears im SOL. Im more than a little dissapointed that a $40,000 truck doesnt have nav standard...let alone a add-on later.

Here is my thoughts though, does anyone know where the nav "app" is located in the explorer system? is it the APIM (the thing mounted on the back of the screen), or possibly the sync module (where the USB and SD inputs are).If i were to come across one of these from an explorer where the nav was unlocked, could i just interchange that part with mine and have nav?

Wouldn't work. Each module is programmed for each specific vehicle and yours would not recognize the other one. When a module gets replaced by the dealer and needs to be programmed it can only be done to "as built" specs using the Ford IDS tool.

Get a garmin or other reputable portable and you will save a ton and save yourself the headaches. TRUST ME!!

Thanks Riley. I guess ill look more into the iGo system. Dont really want a portable on my winshield...I could use my phone for that

Just purchased a '12 Explorer XLT with MFT but no navigation. This issue has brought me to the boards, and like everyone else I am disappointed Ford doesn't have a factory upgrade. Is there any update to the $400 option someone had mentioned earlier?

Don't want to spend $1100 on igo.

Thanks Riley. I guess ill look more into the iGo system. Dont really want a portable on my winshield...I could use my phone for that

It runs right thru the existing MFT screen. There is no external windshield clutter. If that was the case I would have returned the truck after purchasing it.;)

IGO is way to exspensive for what it does. We are still waiting hear about the cheaper set up and then I'll post something.

i have some ideas, but need test mule in my area.

Buffalo area

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I still think it can be installed a I have some special info.

Back