Help! I want to lift my truck! | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! I want to lift my truck!

As soon as the cracks start they spread like wildfire if these are temporary and dont have cracks like tha. Then they are ok for now if they are like that they could leak air or worse the tread could seperate frome the wires. These look like they have very little cracks starting to form so if you want them offer him 125 and get him to 150

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Members have found bodylifts on CL, most used suspension lifts or lift kits nobody used gets posted on forums like this usually.

http://ocala.craigslist.org/pts/4202482214.html

What do you think about these? I just don't know much about tires and don't wanna make a trip down there if they aren't worth it

wow.....those are some good prices for a set of used tires....

here in NY......someone would post those for 400 to 500 dollars..all day.

those would be a great deal any day of the week....but I honestly liked
the other set better...

:salute:

Dang, I need to list the ten 35" KM2s I have on CL. They all have more tread than those.

I wouldn't use those for much more than street tires. I have bought a lot of used tires off Craigslist but it's easy to get a bad deal. You have to factor in the costs of dismounting old tires, mounting and balancing the new ones. I wouldn't waste the time on a set that are already age cracked; even if the rubber will last many more miles it will still have hardened reducing grip.

First off, the tires pictured in this thread are not the tires the OP is asking about.

To the OP;
1. Tread depth; Do the math. Nitto's start with 16.5/32nds of tread.
Street legal minimum is 2/32nds leaving 14.5/32nds legal usable tread.

40% for 14.5 is a little less than 6/32nds. If using a penny, that would line up with Lincoln's eye not his hair line. The tires in the CL add MIGHT have 4/32nds legal usable tread.

2. Age; As stated, the age of the tires will affect their handling among other things. Also, if a tire is 10yrs or older, the major tire chains won't even mount them. Yes you can get a mom&pop shop to, just remember there is a reason the major shops won't.

3. If these tires are not the same size you are running now OR you have an AWD rig, you have a problem if you get a flat, especially if you are AWD.

Long story short, what I see in the CL add is worth $15-$20/tire tops.

First off, the tires pictured in this thread are not the tires the OP is asking about.

I was referring to the tires in the ad that the OP linked to, not the sample pic.

I bought my current wheel/tire combo off CL , Bought 4 Alum wheels with 33" Dayton AT's and came with a full size 33" Pro comp MT on a steel wheel For $130 , 2 Tires had around 40% tread , and 2 had around 28-30% , But for the price I Couldn't Pass it up , my 33" Pro comp AT's Were less than 28% each , So it was a good deal , I sold the Pro comps for more than I paid for the current setup so it worked out well lol . Good luck ! .

I bought my current wheel/tire combo off CL , Bought 4 Alum wheels with 33" Dayton AT's and came with a full size 33" Pro comp MT on a steel wheel For $130 , 2 Tires had around 40% tread , and 2 had around 28-30% , But for the price I Couldn't Pass it up , my 33" Pro comp AT's Were less than 28% each , So it was a good deal , I sold the Pro comps for more than I paid for the current setup so it worked out well lol . Good luck ! .

How long have they lasted you?

I bought a a set of tires for my F-250 from a CL add. Remember you only have to buy if you feel comfortable. The worst case is they are in worse shape than described and you have to decline the purchase.

No harm in looking in person.

I bought a set of near new 265/75-16 A/T tires from Craigslist for $300. Mounted them and balanced them, bolted on, then realized I couldn't drive out of the yard without them destroying the inner fenders and rocker moldings. D'oh! Had to make a quick excuse to the wife that I was "already" going to add a 2" lift so it was no big deal. Had the parts in hand and installed within two weeks and the "great deal" tires finally fit. No regrets!

Good lord if either of those were around me I would jump on that so fast. Especially the coopers. Exact tires I'm wanting.

How long have they lasted you?

So Far They have been on there for 3 Months of Daily Driving , I do not wheel my Rig anymore , I will After I get another Daily driver though .

If the first set is still available get them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depending on what your budget is right now you can usaully find a set of 33x12x15 on wheels dirt cheap (most common size used on Jeep's and Ford's and they share the same bolt pattern wheel "5x4.5 or 5x114.3").

285's are one of the hardest tire size to get cheap because of the size and most newer truck's not being able to fit samller then a 16" wheel on them.

Back