• Register Today It's free!

Do 03s have hall sensors?

paw7889

Reaction score
City, State
Warren MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
May seem like a dumb question but I'm still trying to fix my 4 wheel drive. I can't see them and thought I read that they were replaced by the speed sensors in the differentials. Also the 5th wire is missing and the 6th wire has been cut and crimped in my 16 pin t case harness. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe these are hall sensor related. Thank you Phil

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you mean (hall effects) sensor...???

these type of sensors are made to "bridge" a gap in voltage
using a maganet....and yes, I believe your truck uses a crank sensor
(hall effects)....other types are vss sensors for ABS, and traction control.

as far as fixing your 4x4...?? electronic systems all use solenoids to engage.

what exactly is wrong/going on with the system...??
not engaging????

the motors on the Tcase, are very well known for failing, and getting
water and moisture inside......

:salute:

Yes I was speaking of hall effect sensors for the front and rear driveshafts that I believe the second gen have (someone told me to replace myn but I don't think it has them)
As far as what's happening the 4x4 high light flashes 10 times and it won't engage high or low.
I have proper voltage at the brown wire and the shift motor looks fine inside as far as I could tell.
I had an abs code for the vss sensor in the diff which has gone away now I have replaced the sensor but I'm out of ideas to look for why it won't engage

Yes I was speaking of hall effect sensors for the front and rear driveshafts that I believe the second gen have (someone told me to replace myn but I don't think it has them)
As far as what's happening the 4x4 high light flashes 10 times and it won't engage high or low.
I have proper voltage at the brown wire and the shift motor looks fine inside as far as I could tell.
I had an abs code for the vss sensor in the diff which has gone away now I have replaced the sensor but I'm out of ideas to look for why it won't engage

sound like 2 totally different issues...

you have one speed sensor in the rear diff. for ABS
the other two are in the front hubs.

neither of which have anything to do with the 4x4 system.

you need to see if the motor is actually moving....my guess is NO.

On the Gen 3 Explorers the shift motor has nothing to do with 4High or 4Auto operation. It is used only to shift in and out of 4Low.

The earlier Gen 3's did use speed sensors (don't know if hall-effect or other type) located in the transfer case to detect a difference in speed between the front and rear shafts. Later Gen 3's started using the wheel speed sensors to detect speed differences between the 4 wheels. These are the same sensors that the ABS system uses. I believe the change in sensors used for 4Auto operation was in 2004, but I could be wrong on that.

Phil, I don't have my wiring schematics available right now. Do you have schematics for the 2003 4WD system? You really need them if someone has messed with the wiring. Plus they will show where the input signal for slip detection comes from.

My explorer was manufactured right at the transition to the 2004s, I know this because when I replaced the speed sensor in the diff I needed the one from the 04, the 03 sensor was different and did not fit.
I now gather my truck must work on the 04s platform?
I unfortunately do not have any schematics or manuals pertaining to it, I got it dirt cheap at auction recently and inherited the issues. I'll look online meanwhile any help is appreciated.
Thanks to all Phil

I should be able to PM the diagrams to Phil tomorrow. :D:thumbsup:

the only thing involved in ingauging the 4x4 is that motor
and the switch telling it to move.

with the motor housing off and in your hand the transfer case
can be turned manually into 4high 4low.

this is based on 2002 ST. I worked on recently.....which I believe
are the same..
the motor controls everything, if their is any other
sensors on that TC, they would be used for traction control
purposes, there are NO other sensors besides the one in the
rear diff. that sits directly on top. for ABS....none on the front diff.

you could also get the trucks Tcase module scanned for codes.
to give you a place to start, i think 2003 is capable.

the only thing involved in ingauging the 4x4 is that motor
and the switch telling it to move.

with the motor housing off and in your hand the transfer case
can be turned manually into 4high 4low.

this is based on 2002 ST. I worked on recently.....which I believe
are the same..
the motor controls everything, if their is any other
sensors on that TC, they would be used for traction control
purposes, there are NO other sensors besides the one in the
rear diff. that sits directly on top. for ABS....none on the front diff.

you could also get the trucks Tcase module scanned for codes.
to give you a place to start, i think 2003 is capable.

Nope. Sorry. The Gen 3 Explorers have Auto4WD which, when working correctly, turns itself on automatically when it detects wheel slip. Wheel slip is detected by sensors as I described above. It has an electromagnetic clutch in the transfer case that can incrementally apply power to the front wheels at up to 50% when severe slip is detected.

The Gen 3s can also be switched into full time 4High or 4Low. The shift motor is used for the latter.

Another difference is that the Gen 3s have no 2WD option unless modified or broken.

My explorer was manufactured right at the transition to the 2004s, I know this because when I replaced the speed sensor in the diff I needed the one from the 04, the 03 sensor was different and did not fit.
I now gather my truck must work on the 04s platform?
I unfortunately do not have any schematics or manuals pertaining to it, I got it dirt cheap at auction recently and inherited the issues. I'll look online meanwhile any help is appreciated.
Thanks to all Phil

You likely have a late build 2003. They had early and late builds in 2002 and 2003. If I'm right you will still find a 4WD Control Module right behind the glovebox. With the 2004 MY the 4WD CM is removed and those functions were moved to the PCM.

Nope. Sorry. The Gen 3 Explorers have Auto4WD which, when working correctly, turns itself on automatically when it detects wheel slip. Wheel slip is detected by sensors as I described above. It has an electromagnetic clutch in the transfer case that can incrementally apply power to the front wheels at up to 50% when severe slip is detected.

The Gen 3s can also be switched into full time 4High or 4Low. The shift motor is used for the latter.

Another difference is that the Gen 3s have no 2WD option unless modified or broken.

these are only advance trac models
which are only about 35%

but love the enthusiasm..

these are only advance trac models
which are only about 35%

but love the enthusiasm..

This is not correct.. I have an 04 and what was said is 100% accurate.. was actually just testing it out today as this is my first winter with my ex and this weekend was our first snow that has stuck.. when in "auto 4x4" as soon as the rear wheels began to spin the truck automatically applied power to the front and the truck took off.. its not the most gentle transfer of power but it does the trick... as to the best of my knowledge i think advance track wasnt offered until 05.... i could be wrong tho.

Back