Building your own roof rack. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Building your own roof rack.

Okay well its pretty much finished I just need to put a few more cross braces and it will be complete
002_zps8eb45902.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here it is just sitting on my mounty
005_zps7f22b921.jpg

006_zps04647d21.jpg

Looks good

Got it painted
082_zpse44efd6e.jpg

083_zpsdc2902ac.jpg

084_zps42efc559.jpg

came out nice. much better looking in black! im a fan of the lower looking racks myself. i didnt find many under 5.5 or 6 inces, so i made mine as well from conduit.

came out nice. much better looking in black! im a fan of the lower looking racks myself. i didnt find many under 5.5 or 6 inces, so i made mine as well from conduit.

Yeah it Definitely looks better black and I'm not a fan of the taller ones either. I believe I made mine 3inches tall

Looks good! How is it attached to the roof? I wouldn't mind building one in the next few weeks.

Looks good! How is it attached to the roof? I wouldn't mind building one in the next few weeks.

for mine i used some carriage bolts, flipped them upside down and ran them through the factory rack channel then i drilled holes in the cross bars that sat over the rail. then put the matching nut on. i can take pictures if your interested.

Pics would be great! I don't have crossbars currently, do you think I could make it work without them? Thanks.

Pics would be great! I don't have crossbars currently, do you think I could make it work without them? Thanks.

i took my cross bars out, so its just the factory side track rails. ill post pictures tomorrow to show you what i mean.

I just bolted it to the existing roof rack I know its not the best but it works for me

Any pics or details would've greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm hopefully going to buy the conduit soon. How many feet did you use? It looks like you had 8, 90 degree elbows.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm hopefully going to buy the conduit soon. How many feet did you use? It looks like you had 8, 90 degree elbows.

post some pics when you do yours I'd like to see what you come up with and I'd say I used about 40 feet of 1/2inch emt conduit and 8 90degree elbows

Back