Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 56 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Her previous post said she had 38,000 miles on her 2013. How, I have no clue but she is no longer under warranty.

I have 43,000 and the TSB only is covered under the 36,000. I bought it with 22,000 miles on it from Carmax. I will never buy another car from them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think we have already cleared that up. I think she was just lucky. I don't think that is the norm though. See post #1072 . Thanks.

Peter

After talking with my dealer about service bulletins it all determines on what the service bulletin is for and the dealer if you have to pay for it or not.

No more Explorer... thanks a lot for nothing Ford

My Ford Explorer is gone. I am sad and wish it didn't have to come to this, but I could not continue to ride in something that was putting out exhaust fumes. I hope Ford gets their act together!! Hate that I had to move on.

How an I tell if this Explorer has the smell problem?

I've been test driving a mint condition 2011 Limited 4x4 over the weekend and can't get the car to make the smell.

How wide spread is this problem? Is it only a small number of overall cars sold? How many of you with a 2011 Limited 4x4 have had this problem?

Is there anything I can do to try to make it do it, if it's going to?

Thanks!

I've been test driving a mint condition 2011 Limited 4x4 over the weekend and can't get the car to make the smell.

How wide spread is this problem? Is it only a small number of overall cars sold? How many of you with a 2011 Limited 4x4 have had this problem?

Is there anything I can do to try to make it do it, if it's going to?

Thanks!
You have to accelerate like your getting on the interstate and make sure your window is open 3-5 inches with no AC or recirculation on. I hope your a lucky one because it's a wonderful car except that. Good luck

You have to accelerate like your getting on the interstate and make sure your window is open 3-5 inches with no AC or recirculation on. I hope your a lucky one because it's a wonderful car except that. Good luck

Thanks. So it can only be smelled with the window is open? I was thinking it was something that came in through the verbs. I'll try it out!

By the way, should I open all the windows are just the driver?

Thanks. So it can only be smelled with the window is open? I was thinking it was something that came in through the verbs. I'll try it out!

By the way, should I open all the windows are just the driver?
Mine came in through the back with just the drivers window down. My kids would always smell it first.

I get the smell with windows up or down. If the ac system is on it's coming in. If it's off, i don't get the smell.

Mine smell with windows up, AC on auto 70° and hard accerating (>3500 RPM). Whole cabin fills up within 30 seconds.

I got some funky smell with the heat on now. Kinda smells like something is rotting. 2014 XLT with about 4000 miles and I have not smelled anything with the AC on. Cabin filter is clean.

I got some funky smell with the heat on now. Kinda smells like something is rotting. 2014 XLT with about 4000 miles and I have not smelled anything with the AC on. Cabin filter is clean.

Send me your information in a PM, dave80; I want to get this documented and into the hands of your regional customer service manager (CSM). Be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred servicing dealership. I'll bring this to your CSM's attention so they can help.

Crystal

Crystal....this problem, defect, whatever has to....or really needs to get fords full attention. Since you have to be somewhat in the know or hear the watercooler talk, WTH is going on with no fixes ? Please don't give us the company line that it is being worked on, I have already received that from the service manager and the regional.

How about a real response ?

Crystal....this problem, defect, whatever has to....or really needs to get fords full attention. Since you have to be somewhat in the know or hear the watercooler talk, WTH is going on with no fixes ? Please don't give us the company line that it is being worked on, I have already received that from the service manager and the regional.

You won't get anything but a generic answer from them. They can't comment about things like that if they value their jobs. Anything public will always go through legal first.

Don't waste your time asking.

I agree 100%! My case manager called me back on Tuesday to tell me to take it back to the dealer a 6th time so they could do a 5 point inspection? I told her sorry, we had no choice but to get rid of the vehicle. She just kept apologizing. I asked her to please note my account how horrible this has been, and Ford needs to do something so other people are aware of this. It will make you sick. They are just a a plastic person for Ford doing nothing but apologizing and giving NO resolution to the problem!!! I am still SO upset over this because I really loved my Ex. And was left backed into a corner with my hands tied, and had to make a decision. Ford should be ashamed of themselves!!!!

The various Ford reps and CSM's can only do so much. Basically it seems that they are isolated from the people who these complaints should be going to if action is required/desired.
The best way to usually get the attention of a company is by going to the newspaper, as KS81 once mentioned possibly doing, or radio/TV call in shows so that the general public becomes aware of the situation. No one likes bad press. As long as you keep the comments and complaints on this forum alone, don't expect any real action. Just my opinion.

Peter

No solution

I agree 100%! My case manager called me back on Tuesday to tell me to take it back to the dealer a 6th time so they could do a 5 point inspection? I told her sorry, we had no choice but to get rid of the vehicle. She just kept apologizing. I asked her to please note my account how horrible this has been, and Ford needs to do something so other people are aware of this. It will make you sick. They are just a a plastic person for Ford doing nothing but apologizing and giving NO resolution to the problem!!! I am still SO upset over this because I really loved my Ex. And was left backed into a corner with my hands tied, and had to make a decision. Ford should be ashamed of themselves!!!!

KS81. How did you end up getting out of the EX? I have been way too busy to deal with Ford. I do not see any point in handing over my Ex Sport for them to do a TSB that doesn't work according to others or do "exploratory" research and make attempts at trial and error at the cost of my time, money, and my wife being in a rental. I've gathered all this information from these posts including the video of the manifold leaking with only 2 bolts in it near the AC drip. I really think this is the problem. I'm going to take it to my own mechanic.

KS81. How did you end up getting out of the EX? I have been way too busy to deal with Ford. I do not see any point in handing over my Ex Sport for them to do a TSB that doesn't work according to others or do "exploratory" research and make attempts at trial and error at the cost of my time, money, and my wife being in a rental. I've gathered all this information from these posts including the video of the manifold leaking with only 2 bolts in it near the AC drip. I really think this is the problem. I'm going to take it to my own mechanic.
We got out of it by trading it in on a Chevy, unfortunately! Ford would not do anything else for us, and with the Explorer having this issue, I was not going to take my chances with another one. I still keep going back and forth wondering I'd I should have pursued it legally. We had a rental for a week (we paid for), and numerous daily drop offs, to have no resolution in the end. With working and having children, I could not keep being inconvenienced, and more importantly driving around breathing in exhaust fumes. I hope you get better luck than I do. I wish Ford would take better care of the hard working people buying their products, instead of just taking our money and being just a number. Sad!

I do not get how this burning smell issue can not be identified at a minimum after several years of production. Actually I do not understand why it has not been eliminated.

BTW The musty smell from the ac has been occurring for decades in ford products when on max ac and it freezes up you get the musty smell for a while. You have to run the ac at a lower setting.

After thinking about this a while it seems like there are multiple causes based on posts I read. It is not clear if some or all burn smell get into the passenger area.

What percentage of owners experience the burn smell?

How bad for most? I know some have sold their explorer due to this, but others live with it and even seem to burn through what ever causes the smell.

From my reading it is not fixable unless you are in the burn through it camp.

Can some one clarify?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After thinking about this a while it seems like there are multiple causes based on posts I read. It is not clear if some or all burn smell get into the passenger area.

What percentage of owners experience the burn smell?

How bad for most? I know some have sold their explorer due to this, but others live with it and even seem to burn through what ever causes the smell.

From my reading it is not fixable unless you are in the burn through it camp.

Can some one clarify?
Because. we the owners are unable to pinpoint the exact cause, I'm guessing that Ford is also still trying to determine it because it doesn't seem to affect every vehicle. Just a guess though.:dunno:

Peter

Back