• Register Today It's free!

2005 Plug & Wire Replacement

1970mach1

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
I need assistance with the replacement of the spark plugs & wires on my 2005 XLT Flex Fuel V6 Explorer. I really need a Vid to watch. The Plug Wire routing is the issue. They are behind a lot of stuff and are clipped together. I know how to unclip some of the clips but some are in hard to reach places. Thanks in advance, Mach1

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just did this and I ended up routing the passenger side a different way, because I pretty much refuse to pull my alternator to run wires behind. Since I had new ones, I just cut the ends off the old and pulled them out. I was just doing a search in hopes of finding some trick to put them back where they went before lol We have the same explorers btw :)

I need assistance with the replacement of the spark plugs & wires on my 2005 XLT Flex Fuel V6 Explorer. I really need a Vid to watch. The Plug Wire routing is the issue. They are behind a lot of stuff and are clipped together. I know how to unclip some of the clips but some are in hard to reach places. Thanks in advance, Mach1

I have the same Explorer as you except for the 'Flex Fuel" and my old Factory OE plug wires were pinched in too tight behind the Alternator to simply pull out to replace. I just cut the old plug wires off with Lineman's pliers as close to the Alternator as I could get and I ran the new wires right over the top of the old ones, then down along side the passenger side valve cover to the cylinder head. No problems with the drivers side. You wouldn't even know there are a few inches of old plug wires there unless you knew where to look for them. Unless you are looking for perfection, that is the easy way to go, otherwise, pull the belt and Alternator to remove the old wires and run the new wires in the exact same place as the factory did.

Just cut them, and reroute the new ones. That's what I did also.

some of the design ideas ford has come up with blow my mind. having to cut spark plug wires or remove the alternator to do a simple tuneup is insane

I just removed the alternator on my 04 and routed the plug wires where the old ones were. Took about 5 extra minutes, not hard at all.

some of the design ideas ford has come up with blow my mind. having to cut spark plug wires or remove the alternator to do a simple tuneup is insane

That was my thought when I saw where they went.

I may have considered pulling the alternator, had I not just had a heck of a time removing the plugs. They SQUEAKED coming out. Im guessing original plugs, since I bought it at 39,000 miles and its got almost 87,000 now. Ive done a couple tune ups on my own and this time was really wishing I had waited until my husband was home lol But really, you shouldnt have to pull the alternator for plug wires IMO

Ford and the other auto makers out there don't want you "the owner" working on your own vehicles. That is why they build these vehicles this way, cramped full of hard to reach parts that scares many an owner to run back to the dealership for repairs, rather than try to tackle the job themselves.

Thanks for all the advice. I went the factory route. I removed the just installed serpentine belt and removed the alternator. After that task, I installed the new plugs wires and plugs. The passager side was time consuming. The drivers side was a piece of cake. In the future I know the process and the time will be less. My 2005 V6 Exployrer is running like a top. New fuel & air filters, Bosh platinum plus 4 spark plugs, NGK wires, Serpentine belt, new passenger tail light, and the heavy duty roof racks supports 700 LBS. I just purchased my Explorer about 2 weeks ago, and as you can see it had a couple of issues. By the way the plugs were completely shot. The gap was about 90. I could not believe it was running. Thanks Again for all the support, :)

Bosh platinum plus 4 spark plugs, :)

I bought and installed the same Bosch plugs as you just did right after I purchased my Explorer 2 years ago, and while I had the vehicle at a shop for some diagnostic work after the tune up I did, the shop owner told me that the Bosch plugs weren't the correct plugs to be using on my Explorer. He told me that OE Autolite or Ford plugs were the correct plugs to use. Other people in this forum told me the same thing. I let the shop install single platinum, OE Autolite plugs at that time and remove my Bosch plugs while it was there. I guess from what I've heard and read in here, these Ford engines are tempermental to the brand of plug you use in them.

Ditto. Bosch plugs are positively the worst choice for these engines. Won't take long for you to find out. :mad:

I just replaced my plugs as well in my 2005 V6, I couldn't believe the condition of the plugs. As you said my gap was about 85-90 on the plugs. Runs a lot better now with the Motorcraft plugs and wires. I have 106K on the clock.

Thanks for all the advice,
A few months back I met with a Ford / Lincoln Master Tech (35 yrs) at my local dearlership. I was looking for advice for my sons 1996 Mustang GT.
The Tech gave me some great advice for all Ford & Lincoln products. He stated that Bosch Plugs, wires, and O2 Sensors were just as good as Mortorcraft but Autolite products were below standards set for Ford and Lincoln products. Thanks Again, Mach1

I just changed the plugs on my 2004 Explorer for the first time. Instead of removing the alternator I removed the air box cover and the intake ducting. There is a bracket held to the right side of the block with two bolts that holds some hoses. I removed those bolts and could move the bracket enough to allow me to slip out the L-shaped clip that holds the 3 plug wire as they run around the valve cover. There is just enough clearance between the alternator and valve cover that the wires themselves will fit.

I suppose Ford did at least one good thing in the 2002 model Explorer 4.0 as mine has a space of about 2.5 inches between the back of my alternator and the front of my passenger side valve cover. There is actually a heater hose running in this space and no reason what so ever to remove anything to replace plug wires. Why they would have changed this set up is a mystery to me.

Back